• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After my Death

33 posts in this topic

I put the old thread down as a favourite. Thank you.

I am open to suggestion.

Quickly, my children don't give a damn about comics nor does my wife. My love of comics just isn't transferable.

I have put what I paid for each comic in my collection on the back of each comic bag. My wife will at least know if she is making a profit or not. She knows that I have trusted friends who can advise her on how to sell them.

The best option would be to have a clause in your will having your comics consigned to Heritage for auction, with the net proceeds to go to whomever you choose.

That way your spouse/dependents/estate won't have to deal with the burden of grading or pricing your collection.

The problem with specifying a single dealer is that who knows if they will be around when you pass away. Don't believe me? Flip through a twenty year-old Overstreet guide.

My suggestion would be to keep things simple. You can't expect someone with no knowledge to responsibly sell thousands and thousands of comic books and get full value.

What are the options?

a. Specify only the most valuable books, and separate those so they are easy to find, and label the box.

b. Get rid of your low-end stuff and consolidate into fewer, more valuable books.

The problem with specifying a single dealer is that who knows if they will be around when you pass away. Don't believe me? Flip through a twenty year-old Overstreet guide.

My suggestion would be to keep things simple. You can't expect someone with no knowledge to responsibly sell thousands and thousands of comic books and get full value.

What are the options?

a. Specify only the most valuable books, and separate those so they are easy to find, and label the box.

b. Get rid of your low-end stuff and consolidate into fewer, more valuable books.

So revise your will if the dealer you specify is no longer around.

Your suggestions are great, but over time what if you sell the books you have or buy newer ones? What if you happen to pass away before you consolidate or seperate your valuable books?

a lot of these suggestions are good.

But the advice is only as good as the person it's tailored to and the ease of execution for the loved one left behind.

For some, one phone call to Heritage would do it. For others, a call to the LCS would be in order. For still others, a PM to a boardie from the prospective widow.

Fact is, the discussion itself is valuable if it gets collectors thinking long term and about their families when the end comes.

As for me, I've had preliminary talks with the wife (who to call, etc.) but need to do a better job. The next three years is my medium range goal of organizing my collection, videoing it for insurance purposes, grading every big book, lining up "who to call" and getting my "house in order".

I wanna go out viking warrior style!

Put me atop my comic collection with plenty of lighter fluid

and cremate me bondfire style!

headbang.gif

Is that anything like James Bondfire style?

headbang.gif

already chaged it.

but 007 style would be cool too...

burial at sea, anchored to my book crate.

I'd probibly come back as a shark ready to find the nearest

wading comic geek and bite 'em on the azz.

hail.gif

headbang.gif

already chaged it.

hail.gif

You already chaged it? great. confused.gif

headbang.gif

already chaged it.

hail.gif

cut me a little slack, I am sic with my kids nasty stomach bug...

I am toast! Pee Wee Herman could beyotch slap me and

all I could do is take it at this point...

even pressing these keys are a chore to answer you...

I think I'll go back to bed.

before I pass out at my desk...

PLOP!

(hay nerf you o.k.)

\ /

poke2.gif

headbang.gif

already chaged it.

hail.gif

cut me a little slack, I am sic with my kids nasty stomach bug...

I am toast! Pee Wee Herman could beyotch slap me and

all I could do is take it at this point...

even pressing these keys are a chore to answer you...

I think I'll go back to bed.

before I pass out at my desk...

PLOP!

(hay nerf you o.k.)

\ /

poke2.gif

flowerred.gif feel better.

Coincidentally, Deathlok & I discussed this at the LV dinner.

The main reason I have my "be$t" books slabbed is for the benefit of my wife (or next beneficiary). Along with my spreadsheet -which includes monthly pricing from ebay/gpa & a ballpark average value per book- my collection is virtually problem-free to sell once I'm gone. I've even gone the extra mile and singled out a few prospective buyers (from this site as well as others) to be contacted first. Want my goodies to find the best home possible.

Hey, when I'm six-feet under, I don't want my loved ones to worry about this. Sounds like a lot of work, but that just means less for them. Plus, I actually enjoy keeping tabs/updates on my books.

Rick