• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fair Market Value?

21 posts in this topic

Okay, then why does CGC ask the opinion of the submitter in the first place?

I'm curious, are you one of those that bashs (dislikes) CGC without ever trying the service? I'd guess anyone who's submitted a book before would know that the F.M.V. is asked in order to calculate the cost of insurance on the return shipping.

Brian

Hi, Brian: I've used CGC before, but that doesn't mean I believe I know or understand the ins and outs of all of their policies. As my post went on to state,

"I'm simply questioning why the submitter's perceived value of the book is factored in at all. And if the answer is "to cover the insurance when sending the book back," then I still don't get it, 'cause until the book is graded, how can you calculate the value and thus the insurance cost?"

Maybe the answer is then "because CGC is only going to insure the book for the amount you perceive it to be worth." ?? But even this seems dicey - what if I'm not really a comic book collector, but have stumbled across some gems; if CGC is in a position to request additional $ from me 'cause I didn't know my Batman #2 was worth $5,000, wouldn't CGC also request more $ to cover the additional insurance?

Before assuming I don't know WTF I'm talking about, at least do me the courtesy of reading the entire diatribe...THEN you can tell me I don't know WTF I'm talking about mad.gif