• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A grail comes home

23 posts in this topic

When I lived in Louisiana, there was a 5 and dime type store that I drove by everyday

on my way to work. It looked like something out of the 40's with the round Coca-Cola

signs out front. Apparently the owner had passed away and it appeared that they

just shut the doors and left it as is. I would occasionally peer in the windows because

there was a comic spinner rack full of comics in the back as well as older novelty type

stuff on the shelves. It was kind of like looking in at time capsule and it was fun to imagine

going in there to get your RC cola and Moon Pie and plop down with the latest comics.

I managed to find a family member and inquired about the rack and the Coke signs out front,

but she said she didn't have time to mess with it. Over the years I noticed the Coke signs

disappeared (probably stolen) and the building was falling apart. The merchandise was covered

in cobwebs and dust and was wasting away, but that comic rack was still back there. Even

though the place was disintegrating they still didn't want to deal with it. I changed jobs and

didn't get by there as often, but when I did I would always try to look in the window as I drove

by. Then one day I noticed the place had been gutted so there went that opportunity. A year

or so later, I was making my usual weekend rounds of the local flea markets when I saw

the spinner rack sitting in the middle of someone's booth. I don't know for certain if it was

the exact one that was in that store, but I haven't seen too many of this design so the odds

are pretty good. It may not be the prettiest thing, but after years of trying I was happy to finally give it a good home. cloud9.gif

spinrack.jpg

Wow, great catch!

Does it go SSQQUEEEEE when you turn it?

Jack

When I lived in Louisiana, there was a 5 and dime type store that I drove by everyday

on my way to work. It looked like something out of the 40's with the round Coca-Cola

signs out front. Apparently the owner had passed away and it appeared that they

just shut the doors and left it as is. I would occasionally peer in the windows because

there was a comic spinner rack full of comics in the back as well as older novelty type

stuff on the shelves. It was kind of like looking in at time capsule and it was fun to imagine

going in there to get your RC cola and Moon Pie and plop down with the latest comics.

I managed to find a family member and inquired about the rack and the Coke signs out front,

but she said she didn't have time to mess with it. Over the years I noticed the Coke signs

disappeared (probably stolen) and the building was falling apart. The merchandise was covered

in cobwebs and dust and was wasting away, but that comic rack was still back there. Even

though the place was disintegrating they still didn't want to deal with it. I changed jobs and

didn't get by there as often, but when I did I would always try to look in the window as I drove

by. Then one day I noticed the place had been gutted so there went that opportunity. A year

or so later, I was making my usual weekend rounds of the local flea markets when I saw

the spinner rack sitting in the middle of someone's booth. I don't know for certain if it was

the exact one that was in that store, but I haven't seen too many of this design so the odds

are pretty good. It may not be the prettiest thing, but after years of trying I was happy to finally give it a good home. cloud9.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hows the metal? Any rust problems? Are there three signs at the top and what are their conditions?

Love the "Buy Approved Comics" Comics code. cloud9.gif

If I were to grade it, I would give it a VG. There are 3 signs on top, I guess the angle of the picture isn't the best. It looks like there are 3 separate wall-mount

type racks that are combined into a spinner rack by attaching to the two triangular brackets. There is a little rust but all 3 signs look about the same. I am guessing it is mid to late 50's when distributors wanted to play up the fact that the comics were "approved" (i.e. censored).

I am guessing it is mid to late 50's when distributors wanted to play up the fact that the comics were "approved" (i.e. censored).

That's what I'm thinking. Very nice find. I like it better than the normal 1960's type you usually see. Take care of the rust soon as you can. thumbsup2.gif

That sound of the SCREEEE ! while it turns is one

of those imbedded childhood memory sounds that just doesn't ever go away.

Yet, it is a very comforting sound when you think at it.

You're exactly right - I remember getting my comics at a "Super-X" pharmacy in the mid-1980's that had a similiar type of rack. It even had a soda shop in the back right next to the comics. Probably the most worry-free time in my life.

It's a shame that nowadays some kids wouldn't want to buy comics off the rack due to the possible bending and creases done to the books. frown.gif

Very cool find! That's the perfect rack to fill up with some nice Pre-Code horror books! devil.gif

I have some pre-code horror but not enough to fill it up. We have a couple of shows here in Florida in the coming weeks, so I will have to pick a few more up

and then take a picture. thumbsup2.gif In the meantime here is picture of Boris Karloff with a stand that looks pretty close to mine and imagine that, it is filled with horror comics. grin.gif

karloff.jpg

Very cool find! That's the perfect rack to fill up with some nice Pre-Code horror books! devil.gif

I have some pre-code horror but not enough to fill it up. We have a couple of shows here in Florida in the coming weeks, so I will have to pick a few more up

and then take a picture. thumbsup2.gif In the meantime here is picture of Boris Karloff with a stand that looks pretty close to mine and imagine that, it is filled with horror comics. grin.gif

karloff.jpg

Weird. A post-code wire rack holding pre-code horror. My mind has been completely blown; I need to go lay down and figure this one out. 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

karloff.jpg

Weird. A post-code wire rack holding pre-code horror. My mind has been completely blown; I need to go lay down and figure this one out.

I've seen that pic posted on the boards before, most likely a staged publicity shot with the rack stocked with horror comics to tie in with Karloff.

karloff.jpg

Weird. A post-code wire rack holding pre-code horror. My mind has been completely blown; I need to go lay down and figure this one out.

I've seen that pic posted on the boards before, most likely a staged publicity shot with the rack stocked with horror comics to tie in with Karloff.

That's pretty much what I figured. I was actually lying about the whole mind being blown thing. poke2.gif

I like anachronisms. cloud9.gif

karloff.jpg

That's pretty much what I figured. I was actually lying about the whole mind being blown thing. poke2.gif

When I replied this was all that was typed:

"Weird. A post-code wire rack holding pre-code horror."

Now my bids on the Heritage auctions, they would blow your mind! poke2.gif

karloff.jpg

When I replied this was all that was typed:

"Weird. A post-code wire rack holding pre-code horror."

Now my bids on the Heritage auctions, they would blow your mind! poke2.gif

I like editing my posts after I write them. It angers people.

PM me which ones you bid on and I won't bid on them unless they are the ones I previously planned on bidding on. confused.gif

spinrack.jpg

I think it only fair BZ fills it up for you.

Ze-

OK, but only if I get to keep the spinner rack at my house every other month. wink.gif

Sounds like a sweet deal:

Send empty spinner rack, comes back full of books. Rinse and repeat! grin.gif

spinrack.jpg

I think it only fair BZ fills it up for you.

Ze-

OK, but only if I get to keep the spinner rack at my house every other month. wink.gif

Sounds like a plan! But only if you hook me up with some of those

"magic bags" you are storing your comics in. 27_laughing.gif I actually have 2

more spinner racks that are from the 60's that I picked up at a Flea

Market near Sacramento last summer. One of them says "Hey

Kids Comics!" and the other one has the head shots of Archie, Superman,

Richie Rich and Spiderman on them.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I do have a question for the historians of the boards. There is a symbol

on the signs that is the outline of the United States with the letters "ID" inside of it.

I am assuming that stands for Independent News? the DC distributor? Any info regarding this distributor would be appreciated. I was also wondering would a Mom and Pop business receive a spinner rack when they are set up to carry comics or would they order these themselves? Thanks in advance if anyone could shed some light on this. thumbsup2.gif