• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Pay More!!!!

27 posts in this topic

And no cherrypicking. Guy comes in with runs of Marvel, some Spidey's and X-Men (fast movers) and some Defenders and Strange Tales (slower movers). Get's an offer of percentage of Guide in grade for the lot? DO dealers honor those parts of their ads, or does it come down to the bait and switch at the end of the day?

------------------------

I'm not doubting you, but do any of the dealers say they'll pay that much for everything you bring in? I don't have an OPG in front of me, but even the 50% of OPG for GA material, seems they'd get killed buying a bunch of Dells and funny animals in the process.

I'm sitting on a whole lot of Defenders and Marvel two-In-Ones, if anyone will pay 25-45% of OPG for them so long as I bring along a couple of Spideys and X-men, please PM me the name??? If there's a "I'll pay 50% of OPG for all your pre-76 material" I'll be all over that!

I'm not doubting you, but do any of the dealers say they'll pay that much for everything you bring in? I don't have an OPG in front of me, but even the 50% of OPG for GA material, seems they'd get killed buying a bunch of Dells and funny animals in the process.

I'm sitting on a whole lot of Defenders and Marvel two-In-Ones, if anyone will pay 25-45% of OPG for them so long as I bring along a couple of Spideys and X-men, please PM me the name??? If there's a "I'll pay 50% of OPG for all your pre-76 material" I'll be all over that!

I'm thinking of all those ads that say things like,

"buying all comics before 1970" or, "will pay percent of Guide for all comics" kind of thing.

Note, I never said, "a couple of Spideys...", I said runs of Spideys and Defenders, etc. I'm not stupid enough to think a dealer ought to buy runs of MTU for one key Amazing thrown in the deal at percent of guide.

I'd just love to know if any dealers really do that- buy bulk lots for percentages of Guide, or do they just see a collection, pay for the good stuff and superlowball the slow moving stuff. I suspect I know the answer.

anectdotal story- I have a dealer friend/LCS owner who said he'd be interested in my overstock. I've got about 6 longboxes that over the years have gotten a little bit of this, little bit of that. Some GA, some SA, some Bronze, Copper, and some Moderns. Main line titles, runs, minor, minor keys, and onesies and twosies of all kinds of things. I did an estimate myself on what the stuff was worth, according to guide, and had in mind that I would take 750 as a low ball offer (about 30% of guide, or 70% off Guide).

He offered me 350, and I just laughed and laughed. For very little effort, he would have made that back in a weekend on the books. I told him, "that's what the X-Men books are worth, at cost, by themselves." and he replied, "Yeah. I pretty much just figured on what those were worth."

Naturally, I told him no deal. makepoint.gif

15% of guide doesn't sound that bad from a dealer. if he makes the money back on the good stuff and the other stuff just sits gathering dust, then it doesn't do much good. he's just breaking even and perhaps diverting sales away from stuff he paid even less for.

you had 6 long boxes (1200-1600 books if bagged and boarded) that only guided for like $1.50-$2 each on average??? sounds like there was a lot of drek and not much good stuff. $350 seems fair!

you had 6 long boxes (1200-1600 books if bagged and boarded) that only guided for like $1.50-$2 each on average??? sounds like there was a lot of drek and not much good stuff. $350 seems fair!

If you say so, the blob. If you say so.

Ealy Avengers, low grade. Great runs of Bronze to copper X-Men. Complete runs of lesser X titles. Nice Copper Caps, Hulks, Thors. Low grade runs of Strange Tales. Lots more books. Heck, at 50 cents a book, that's 600 bucks.

If you have books like that at those prices, I'm buying.

If you say so, the blob. If you say so.

Ealy Avengers, low grade. Great runs of Bronze to copper X-Men. Complete runs of lesser X titles. Nice Copper Caps, Hulks, Thors. Low grade runs of Strange Tales. Lots more books. Heck, at 50 cents a book, that's 600 bucks.

If you have books like that at those prices, I'm buying.

Me too

Runs of mainstream Marvel copper comics would not excite me all that much were I a dealer. That's stuff that comes in all the time and they pay 5-10 cents each for it. the other stuff is a different story.