• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Pay More!!!!

27 posts in this topic

I was looking thru guide last night (getting antsy for the new one) and was struck once again by the phrase, "I pay more than anyone else" for X, Y, Z.

Come on, who are they kidding? And by the way, is there any way to tell? Shop your collection, I guess. And does anybody know who does pay more? Consistently?

It would be refreshing to see just one ad stating "I pay LESS!" for cryin' out loud...heck, that's the one guy I'd presume to be telling some semblance of the truth!

ahem....

Always Buying High Quality Material!

We won't lie and say we'll pay the "highest prices available" for your books. But if you have what we're looking for, you won't be sorry! Always looking for 1933-1975 material. High grade 1970s always wanted!

Who pays more all depends on what you're selling. If you're selling off a sweet GA collection you will certainly have dealers lining up to get in a bidding war. If you're selling moderns You should probably call Chuck. He actually pay pretty decent for stuff that you couldn't move yourself.

i think that i often pay more than i should for the moderns that i want. but that's just the price of collecting, right?

i can't afford the high-grade SA stuff, so i usually get slabbed books in the 7.0-8.0 range and go for "vg" copies of the even older stuff.

I love the percentages of guide they will pay..

"paying 50% of guide"..

yeah so you can turn around and sell it for 125% of guide.

----------------------

I don't bedrudge any dealer this sort of profit. They have expenses and have to eat too.

Hey, let's face it, how many of us here have tried to sell something on ebay and only realized 30-40% of what one of the big boys like JS, SNE or Metropolis might have?

Paying a penny or two on the dollar for good material a la the "little old lady with a box of comics" scenario is a little more despicable.

Generally the ones who sell for the highest prices can pay the most. So for quality material people like Harley and Bob Storms and Metropolis can pay a lot and that's why Rozanski might pay more than anyone for certain moderns.

Heck, because I can get guide for low-grade 70s books and war books and stuff like that, I might be the guy who pays the most for that stuff. I buy tons of it off of board members.

Looking forward to the guide on Wednesday. There are always some surprises. Plus we get to see Donut's second market report. smile.gif

If Heritage would ever put out a list of the winning bidders we would all know who pays more!

Let me ask the initial question in a different manner.

Who consistently pays, as examples,

50% and better for Golden Age in Guide?

50% for Silver Age in Guide?

25-45% for Bronze Age in Guide?

And no cherrypicking. Guy comes in with runs of Marvel, some Spidey's and X-Men (fast movers) and some Defenders and Strange Tales (slower movers). Get's an offer of percentage of Guide in grade for the lot? DO dealers honor those parts of their ads, or does it come down to the bait and switch at the end of the day?