• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - Human Torch #12

58 posts in this topic

7.5, but a BEAUT

Technically - probably no higher due to aforementioned paper loss - but damn - it looks way nicer than many a 7.5 (especially those with dust shadows or foxing). My guess is if Silver ever goes to sell it - the phenomenal eye-appeal will matter as much as the actual CGC grade - as it should! sumo.gif

7.5, but a BEAUT

Technically - probably no higher due to aforementioned paper loss - but damn - it looks way nicer than many a 7.5 (especially those with dust shadows or foxing). My guess is if Silver ever goes to sell it - the phenomenal eye-appeal will matter as much as the actual CGC grade - as it should! sumo.gif

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that CGC will give it a 9.0 barring any restoration found. Nize Book! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

7.5, but a BEAUT

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that CGC will give it a 9.0 barring any restoration found. Nize Book! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Even with all that tape pull loss along the top of the back cover? It's white on white - so hopefully it won't hurt the grade too much - but I think it knocks it out of the 9.0 ballpark.

7.5, but a BEAUT

Even with all that tape pull loss along the top of the back cover? It's white on white - so hopefully it won't hurt the grade too much - but I think it knocks it out of the 9.0 ballpark.

Have to agree with Richard here because without the tape pull this is probably tied with the highest graded copy out there. I think it will fall in as a 7.5, anything more would be awesome. Almost want to keep it raw its so bright and regardless of what CGC decides I am extremely happy with this purchase.

Silver, it's a beautiful copy - and the eye-appeal far exceeds the likely CGC grade - I think anyone on the boards would be happy with that copy hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif - it is far far nicer than mine.

This fits every definition of "very fine" for me...so a solid 8.0, if not more. Simply a beautiful copy of a very early classic comic.

Having said that, the back cover is very strange. That doesn't look like tape pull at the top and along side edge of the cover. What is it? It almost looks like whiteout!

But who cares. The eye appeal of the front cover defines the book.

That looks like silverfish damage to me. I bought a whole box of sci-fi books once that had silverfish damage to the dust-jackets in varying degrees. The ones with heavy damage were still incredibly sharp and glossy, but obviously chewed and had large sections chewed away. But the copies in the middle of the pile that had only slight damage - looked exactly like that top edge - glossy, but the paper was slightly, irregularly, disturbed on the glossy surface - with one or two little sections missing from the edge. The browning on the same edge of this comic looks like slight dust shadow that has nothing to do with the rest of the defect and not tape remnant.

The book was probably stuck to another book in a stack and pulled off the gloss. The technical grade (I wouldn't be surprised to see it garner a 6.0) won't match its true appeal. I wouldn't slab it.

7.5, but a BEAUT

I have to say that I didn't really notice the extent of the damage to the top edge of the BC and extending down the spine. grin.gif Not sure what caused this, but it doesn't look like tape or silverfish tongue.gif

Put me in the 7.5 technical camp, but with golly-gosh-gee eye appeal cool.gif

The book was probably stuck to another book in a stack and pulled off the gloss. The technical grade (I wouldn't be surprised to see it garner a 6.0) won't match its true appeal. I wouldn't slab it.

Have to see what it would grade out as. If its anything less than a 7.0 I probably will just crack it out again and keep it in a mylar.

Have to see what it would grade out as. If its anything less than a 7.0 I probably will just crack it out again and keep it in a mylar.

Or you could just keep it as is, read it, smell the pages, enjoy the gloss.... poke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gif

Anyone want to take a guess, the grade is in and they absoultely slammed this book. I don't have the grading notes but lets just say that I now own probably the best GA book at this grade that you have ever seen. Complete BS given some of the grades I have seen handed out on certain books. frustrated.gif

Let me guess - they slammed it hard for the back cover damage and gave you a 4.5?

prime example of a book for which eye-appeal matters way more than "actual" grade.

Anyone want to take a guess, the grade is in and they absoultely slammed this book. I don't have the grading notes but lets just say that I now own probably the best GA book at this grade that you have ever seen. Complete BS given some of the grades I have seen handed out on certain books. frustrated.gif

6.0?

I will pay GPA on whatever it got. devil.gif

6.0 with off white pages. frustrated.gif My guess is that the back cover damage killed the grade but this is ridiculous as I have seen 8.0 books that look far, far worse. I once owned a FF#3 that had a chunk missing from the top corner and it was a 6.0 and it couldn't even stand next to this book.

6.0 - Not as bad as I feared based on your post. True the book deserves better- but CGC seems to place far more emphasis on the size and nature of the defects than it does the eye-appeal.

Paper loss on the back cover to that degree (whatever the cause - or how unoticable it is at first glance) is going to keep the book out of the VF and above grades - it was just a matter of how much when it came to CGC. If you like having all your premium books slabbed - then leave it for the sake of continuity - and know that when it comes time to sell, that with an explanation of the grade - the blue label will probably still help sell it for top dollar even with a 6.0 in the corner. Plus, White Pages is always nice to see on a label.