• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ot is it possible?

15 posts in this topic

You can get modern book OA pretty cheap .I have found Churchill Supergirl panel pages, Porter's Flash, and a lot of unpublished pinup's for around $100 so it isn't out of the question. You probably won't find any Kirby's or Adams though grin.gif

You can definitely start off cheaper. It will probably be mostly modern stuff but sometimes you can get lucky and snag older pieces without including your right arm as payment.

is it possible to get started in the original art collecting department without shelling out big bucks? can you find anything other than a con sketch for say 100 dollars?

ABSOLUTELY.

Of course it depends on what you like and what you want to collect. Dean Ormston sells weekly on eBay and 99% of the time th epages end for under $100. That's just one example.

I know it can get discouraging seeing all of these "art days" for pieces that are $$$s and thinking you have missed the boat. But for every "art day" for a $$$$ piece there are many many more transactions being made under the radar that some foke just decide it doesn't deserve a mention.

Set your priorities/collecting goals BEFORE spending any cash, ask for advice from the wealth of knowledge on these boards and you'll have a smooth transition into the OA collecting arena

893blahblah.gifMike 893blahblah.gif

I got a House of Mystery Cover (DC Horror) from the 70's for less than $500 which I thought was incredibly cheap for a published cover. So I would assume if you find an issue that wasn't done by a legend (Adams, Cardy, etc) interiors shouldn't be too bad. I did a quick search on CAF and found this: Batman Adventures

I am sure there is more around at comparable prices.

Just bought a pencilled CC Beck Cover repro of a Whiz Comic for under $150 shipped. Though, I really like ink, but those run closer to 300. OA isn't that bad compared to shelling out some serious change on GA keys. And you have wonderful accent and centerpieces for your collection!!!

welcome to the board. and like pretty much everyone here said. start by doing your homework on who or what your to collect. check out the caf they are plenty of collectors that have stuff for sale. ebay.s ok too every now and then you can get a nice page under market values.

cons are pretty good to pick up stuff from the artist then selves as well. good luck on your finds and welcome to the game.

larry ;]