• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church, Bangzoom....a different perspective...

42 posts in this topic

Hey BH, I can almost picture the inside of the store from what you're saying 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Didn't it look a little like this smile.gif -

1792407-CherokeeBookStore1965.jpg

The UCLA Library just released online the Los Angeles Times photographic archive yay.gif

The information on the picture above is:

Title: Burt Blum and Rick Durell looking through comic books at Cherokee Book Shop in Los Angeles, Calif., 1965

Published caption: COMIC BOOK HEAVEN-Rick Durell, El Segundo, left, operator of a gasoline station, and Burt Blum, manager of Cherokee Book Shop, 6607 Hollywood Blvd., look over comic books in store, largest center for them in the country.

Publication: Los Angeles Times

Publication date: June 7, 1965

The UCLA LA Times archive site is at Linky

I like the casual way they have Action 1, Detective 27, Batman 1, Superman 1, Whiz 1, Jumbo 1, and the other comics just lying around on the desk. yeahok.gif

I like the casual way they have Action 1, Detective 27, Batman 1, Superman 1, Whiz 1, Jumbo 1, and the other comics just lying around on the desk. yeahok.gif

Allright, so they staged it a tad to the extreme but I betcha it got them foot traffic for quite a few weeks afterwards!

Btw, what's the book between the 'Tec 27 and the Action 1? Can't quite make it out. Me, I'll grab those 2 Planets on the shelves at far right on my way out.

These were serious people. By the way, the room where I picked out an action 3 was a smaller room upstairs. That looks like it may be the downstairs. Not quite sure since that was about 1 or 2 years before I was there.

I like the casual way they have Action 1, Detective 27, Batman 1, Superman 1, Whiz 1, Jumbo 1, and the other comics just lying around on the desk.

Captain America #1, Human Torch #5(?), ...

Wow, cool picture!!batmanclap.gif

I wish we could see the other pictures that were taken during that photo shoot. If someone wants to impress me, let's see you ID that artwork under the Whiz #1.

Excellent find Scrooge, Thanks for sharing! thumbsup2.gif

Wow, cool picture!!batmanclap.gif

I wish we could see the other pictures that were taken during that photo shoot. If someone wants to impress me, let's see you ID that artwork under the Whiz #1.

Excellent find Scrooge, Thanks for sharing! thumbsup2.gif

Ok, the credit shouldn't go to me. I got alerted to it from an email Ken Quattro sent to the Atlas mailing list after Jerry Beck at Cartoon Brew mentioned the database on his site. Still, a very timely topic since we'd just mentioned the store recently. cool.gif

If someone wants to impress me, let's see you ID that artwork under the Whiz #1.

A Tarzan Sunday is my guess.

Yeah, I had been thinking that the bottom right panel definitely looked like a Hogarth illo of Tarzan.

What a great photo! Here's a little touch up in color...

I spent some time tracking down the covers, and then came here and found a few that were already discovered. doh! Well, there are a few I fudged (only a few.. can you spot em?);but wanted to finish before bed time.

34qmv55.jpg

---------------------

edit...

I just realized why I was tearing my hair out so much on deciphering the top shelf.

I cropped half of the top, so all of the titles and 1/2 the images were gone. :pullhair:

I think they are all correct now.

If anyone wants a wallpaper version PM me.

I spent some time tracking down the covers, and then came here and found a few that were already discovered. doh! Well, there are a few I fudged (only a few.. can you spot em?);but wanted to finish before bed time.

2hoy9hf.jpg

Nice work on putting in the color covers. (thumbs u

2hoy9hf.jpg

Nice work on putting in the color covers. (thumbs u

It is either 'easy' to do (which it is not) or you have too much time on your hands!!

Wonderful!

jon