• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church, Bangzoom....a different perspective...

42 posts in this topic

I was on the MSN website a while back looking up some driving directions when I discovered that they had satellite views you could zoom in on. In the larger metropolitan areas they also have a feature that allows 3-D or birdseye views. Being the comic book nerd I decided to plug in some comic book related addresses. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif First up is the Edgar Church home in Denver. You can see the back alley where Chuck Rozanski said that the family members were throwing away his artwork among other things. I can just see his old van pulling away from that house filled with goodies.

ECHOMEcopy.jpg

Next up is the former location of the Campbell Bros store in Washington DC where Bangzoom said that a lot of that great collection came from. I tried to figure out where the kid lived who shopped there but didn't have any luck.

campbells.jpg

Well I guess I better get back to work unless y'all can think of any other famous addresses. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the photos. They certainly provide a unique perspective. It is always cool to get a different view of our comics and their history. Sometimes the background of a comic is as much fun as the stories inside. But these are two locales that had great comics in the past. For your pleasure I now provide a new perspective of a building that contains great comics now!

satelliteclose2.jpg

If you get to Houston, check it out! (Am I a shameless shill, or what?)

Thanks for the photos. They certainly provide a unique perspective. It is always cool to get a different view of our comics and their history. Sometimes the background of a comic is as much fun as the stories inside. But these are two locales that had great comics in the past. For your pleasure I now provide a new perspective of a building that contains great comics now!

satelliteclose2.jpg

weird, just from the roof you can tell a bad poker player owns it.

weird, just from the roof you can tell a bad poker player owns it.

confused.gif I don't understand. And I'm a bad poker player too. confused.gif

Welcome, Sir! Maybe we can take each others money!

satelliteclose2.jpg

And here is your place in the nicer bird's-eye view format. You will notice you also have alot more customers in this picture. thumbsup2.gif And do you always leave your back doors open in the daytime? If so, which one is closest to the Golden Age section? poke2.gif

bedrck.jpg

satelliteclose2.jpg

And here is your place in the nicer bird's-eye view format. You will notice you also have alot more customers in this picture. thumbsup2.gif And do you always leave your back doors open in the daytime? If so, which one is closest to the Golden Age section? poke2.gif

bedrck.jpg

Actually, we take up the right end of the strip center. The open back door next to us goes to the kitchen of a Chinese food restaurant. You might not want to go in there as the owner is very vocal and might yell at you. But the next open door down is your ticket to paradise! Erotic Cabaret - you can get all the fetish clothes and related appliances you might ever need! So after you get your Golden Age from us you can take your significant other there for all your superhero dress-up fun!

satelliteclose2.jpg

bedrck.jpg

Actually, we take up the right end of the strip center. The open back door next to us goes to the kitchen of a Chinese food restaurant. You might not want to go in there as the owner is very vocal and might yell at you. But the next open door down is your ticket to paradise! Erotic Cabaret - you can get all the fetish clothes and related appliances you might ever need! So after you get your Golden Age from us you can take your significant other there for all your superhero dress-up fun!

Donut shop still off to the side ? or did it get dozed. Haven't been

down Westheimer in a few years. I usually go to the 1960 where I'm incognito.

satelliteclose2.jpg

bedrck.jpg

Donut shop still off to the side ? or did it get dozed. Haven't been

down Westheimer in a few years. I usually go to the 1960 where I'm incognito.

Dunkin Donuts got bulldozed in the name of urban renewal to make way for one of the very few CVS Pharmacy buildings in town. I think this CVS is only #21,867.

You can't really see Steve's Ferrari or Mark's Bentley in that shot.

No, but it is a good shot of a pre-grader. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

newtcar.jpg

27_laughing.gif

Next up is the former site of Cherokee Books on Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, CA. They were one of the first bookstores to carry an extensive quantity of older comics in the 60's. Burt Blum took care of the comics while his dad ran the bookstore. The two block area surrounding the store was described as a pop-culture mecca in the book "Comics between the Panels". Just down the street the Collectors Bookstore being discussed in another thread opened in 1965. And in the other direction was Larry Edmunds shop. And if that wasn't enough, the original Fredericks of Hollywood was across the street and Graumanns (sp?) Chinese Theater is in the neighborhood. Any board members hang out on that block during the sixties? cloud9.gif

chkbooks.jpg

Next up is the former site of Cherokee Books on Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, CA. They were one of the first bookstores to carry an extensive quantity of older comics in the 60's. Burt Blum took care of the comics while his dad ran the bookstore. The two block area surrounding the store was described as a pop-culture mecca in the book "Comics between the Panels". Just down the street the Collectors Bookstore being discussed in another thread opened in 1965. And in the other direction was Larry Edmunds shop. And if that wasn't enough, the original Fredericks of Hollywood was across the street and Graumanns (sp?) Chinese Theater is in the neighborhood. Any board members hang out on that block during the sixties? cloud9.gif

chkbooks.jpg

I bought an Action #3 there for 25.00. The books were placed upright in bookshelves between wooden dividers upstairs. I remember a Detective 1 in a display case downstairs.This was in the sixties and I had to beg my uncle for the money. I also went to collectors bookstore back in the day.

chkbooks.jpg

I bought an Action #3 there for 25.00. The books were placed upright in bookshelves between wooden dividers upstairs. I remember a Detective 1 in a display case downstairs.This was in the sixties and I had to beg my uncle for the money. I also went to collectors bookstore back in the day.

bumpit.gif

Hey BH, I can almost picture the inside of the store from what you're saying 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Didn't it look a little like this smile.gif -

1792407-CherokeeBookStore1965.jpg

The UCLA Library just released online the Los Angeles Times photographic archive yay.gif

The information on the picture above is:

Title: Burt Blum and Rick Durell looking through comic books at Cherokee Book Shop in Los Angeles, Calif., 1965

Published caption: COMIC BOOK HEAVEN-Rick Durell, El Segundo, left, operator of a gasoline station, and Burt Blum, manager of Cherokee Book Shop, 6607 Hollywood Blvd., look over comic books in store, largest center for them in the country.

Publication: Los Angeles Times

Publication date: June 7, 1965

The UCLA LA Times archive site is at Linky

1792407-CherokeeBookStore1965.jpg.84bc3e25838ff8344654e9e1b324d18c.jpg