• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your greatest "DEAL"

9 posts in this topic

My greatest deal wasn't on eBay, it was through this board. I bought a big chunk of Daredevil books through Scottish last winter. In the chunk was the nicest 131 I've ever seen plus some other high grade DDs in the 60-70 range. Overall, I was very pleased with the deal.

A year ago Christmas Day,11am I'm browsing ebay and looking in the collections section.There is a group that ends in 5 minutes or so. Header says Well read old comics- nothing else. I go to the lot, see about 30 old books,photo sux, am about to click off when in the corner I spot a Green Lantern 59-first Guy Gardner. I put in a bid of about 5 bucks with a 15 max. Win the sucker for about 9.00 after a last second snipe.Two weeks later the books arrive-GL59-Fine, Green Lantern 40-very fine,flash 137 fine,Spectre1 vg,tales to astonish 45-50 vgish and Journey into mystery 82,87,100-109.mostly vg-f. and couple books. Best Christmas presentI got that year.

That's a nice lot, Shadroch... glad to see your holiday shopping paying off smile.gif I assume we'll each be getting one of those issues THIS Christmas? Don't fold mine too much getting it in the stocking...

I too have had arguably my best success browsing the nooks and crannies of eBay. Got FC #456 (Scrooge #2) in GD, along with about 5 other late GA Barks duck books, for a grand total of $15, 'cause the seller mis-listed 'em.

Got Conan #1 in FN-VF, #5 in VG, and several other BA books in higher grade (but lesser titles) for a total of $30, 'cause they were listed under 'collections' ...

Also got Superboy 82 and 83 in solid VF for a total of $50, after having heated exchange with the seller and fearing I'd get nothing for my money... seller even threw in Superboy 81 in FN at no cost!

In another (rare?) instance of eBay 'charity' I bought Captain America 101 in NM 9.2 (raw) for about $40, and the seller threw in a free copy of CA 108 in VF/NM 9.0 (raw) for free!

I think it's pretty clear that it's deals like these that keep ya coming back to the well even when you're not really thirsty, the water's been tainted lately, etc.

A year ago Christmas Day,11am I'm browsing ebay and looking in the collections section.There is a group that ends in 5 minutes or so. Header says Well read old comics- nothing else. I go to the lot, see about 30 old books,photo sux, am about to click off when in the corner I spot a Green Lantern 59-first Guy Gardner. I put in a bid of about 5 bucks with a 15 max. Win the sucker for about 9.00 after a last second snipe.Two weeks later the books arrive-GL59-Fine, Green Lantern 40-very fine,flash 137 fine,Spectre1 vg,tales to astonish 45-50 vgish and Journey into mystery 82,87,100-109.mostly vg-f. and couple books. Best Christmas presentI got that year.

893whatthe.gif

Sweet! grin.gif

That would be my Journey Into Mystery 86. Can't remember what I paid, but it was around $100.00. If you looked at the comic from the bottom edge, it had a "C" shape to it. So....lotsa bidders ignored it. I figured I could iron out the "C"..I did and I'd put this as an easy VF or VF+ in the condition it's in. Comic had no permanent creases on it according to the scan, and I emailed the guy to make sure. He got it from an estate sale and the comic had been "jammed" inside a box narrower in the width than the width of the comic. That's what created the unusual flaw, easily taken care of with an iron.

Sweet!

grin.gif

Did you grade the 131? I need a worthy 9.8 candidate if its mega-sweet

The 131 is raw. If I do submit books to CGC, that will be one of them. I have no idea what 9.x it is and I'm not going to fathom a guess because my grading skills for that level are very underdeveloped.