• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Silver Age book would you invest in??

66 posts in this topic

I think what the question lacks is a price. As in what book at what price? Unless the question is which books will rise in Guide? Which isnt as valid anymore since the HG copies of EVERYTHING sell for varying multiples of guide already. Now Overstreet could double a price, but it wouldnt necessarily raise th eprice on ebay or Heritage since they sell for absurd prices alreasdy. Overstreet is just closing the gap, not affecting street prices.

So book 'x' at 'y' price is the answer here.

Unless you all agree on what every book's price/value is now?

i love batman #189, such a classic issue, i need to track down a nicer one

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

$900 is stupid money for that book, but I also have my eyes open for a sweet Batman 189!! I love the scarecrow! Very cool villain who dserves a spot at the table with Joker and Catwoman as one of the top 3 Bat villains.

DAM

I think what you'e really meaning to ask are what Silver age books won't go down in value(some of which might go up), since calling comics and investment is really a misnomer.

My picks(some of which are already picked and I really only know Marvel):

1. X-Men 4, 12, 14

2. Daredevil 7 & 16 - especially 7 in high grade which is the best pick actually - as it is as scarce as they come in hg.

3. Thor 126, JIM 83(almost impossible to find in HG)JIM 85, JIM 112

4. ASM 3, 14, 50

5. FF 1, 5, 12, 50, 52, 53

6. Avengers 4, 57

Nice X-Men #1! Won't be in my hands anytime soon.

Regarding good investments for the Silver Age, I would say (if you're looking to maximize the money you put into this) focus on minor keys that are really tough in HG. (And then buy them in HG...) If these books also have great covers, that would be an even better subset of such a market. Just look at what Strange Tales #120 is doing on Ebay right now (although some of the bids might be questionable). Completionists are going nuts over books like these in HG, and could be the easiest way to double one's $$$ in a short amount of time.

As a Marvel fan, I'd put the following books on such a list, some of which have already been noted (the ones in parenthesis are maybes):

ASM 3, (11), 13, 28, 39, 50

Avengers 9, 11, 16

Daredevil 7, 16, (17)

Fantastic Four 8, 12, 13, (15), (20), 25, 27, 28, (36), 39, 45, 49, 50, 51

Hulk 2, 3

JIM 84, 85, 88, 95, 103, 112, 114, 125, Thor 126, (165)

Marvel Super-Heroes 12, 18, (20)

Silver Surfer 3, 4

Strange Tales 97, 107, 116, 120, 123, (150)

Tales of Suspense 48, 49, 52, 57, (63), 65

Tales to Astonish 57, 60

X-Men 4, 10, 12, 14, (28)

Gee...looks like my want list frown.gif But those are some ideas, and I'm sure there are other Marvels I haven't thought of.

Dan

What's record price for a 9.4?

J.D.

which book?

The last X-men 1 9.4 that I saw sell was when CGC was very new,Pacific Comic Exchange sold it for $22,000...It'll be double that now..comiclink is listing one on this Tuesday,My guess it'll be about 50K,I kinda doubt it'll sell in this economy,but you never know,I don't have a crystal ball like some of these other forum members have. Gotta get one 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you are looking for a nice solid return on an investment- Avengers 16, Tales to Astonish 57,DD 7, 16

If you are willing to take a riskier stance I would go for Any and all of the Marvel Annuals and their giant 25cent issues. These books seem way undervalued for the numbers you can fiond.

And if you hope to hit a few out of the park- the only way to go is the road no one is currently tredding-the PLOD highway. You can pick up keys with minor pro work for 15-20% of their nonrestored work, and as time goes on

The market for these books has no where to go but up.

Mastronet was suppossed to have a lotof seven PLODMarvel keys-AF15,AS!,JIM83,DD1,Xmen1,Avengers1 and 4, but at the last minute they pulled the Avengers 1 and put in an unrestoredCGC8.5 Hulk 181-now that auction will give no meaningful data on demand for the PLods

Avengers 9, 11, 16

Daredevil 7, 16, (17)

Hulk 2, 3

Silver Surfer 3, 4

Tales to Astonish 57, 60

Gee...looks like my want list frown.gif But those are some ideas, and I'm sure there are other Marvels I haven't thought of.

Dan

ditto, but you missed some HIGH demand issuse such as X-Men 35, Strange tales 135, Silver Surfer 14, JIM 89 (classic kirby thor pose cover) etc. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nice X-Men #1! Won't be in my hands anytime soon.

Regarding good investments for the Silver Age, I would say (if you're looking to maximize the money you put into this) focus on minor keys that are really tough in HG. (And then buy them in HG...) If these books also have great covers, that would be an even better subset of such a market. Just look at what Strange Tales #120 is doing on Ebay right now (although some of the bids might be questionable). Completionists are going nuts over books like these in HG, and could be the easiest way to double one's $$$ in a short amount of time.

As a Marvel fan, I'd put the following books on such a list, some of which have already been noted (the ones in parenthesis are maybes):

Avengers 9, 11, 16

Daredevil 7, 16, (17)

Hulk 2, 3

Silver Surfer 3, 4

Tales to Astonish 57, 60

Dan

Dan,

you've picked some really killer books here to invest in,and I would have to agree with you on most of them,but what grades are we talking here? 9.0 or better? 9.2 or better? Enlighten me. Kevin

And if you hope to hit a few out of the park- the only way to go is the road no one is currently tredding-the PLOD highway. You can pick up keys with minor pro work for 15-20% of their nonrestored work, and as time goes on

I agree. I would also add that if you can get these with only "cleaning and pressing" that's the way to go.

Regarding most of the picks as good investments, the real issue is: is the book undervalued in the market today or just underpriced in guide?

You are obviously going to pay a much higher multiple for a DD #7 NM book than a more common book. JIM books sell for a much higher multiple than most other Silver-Age Marvels.

As far as good investments, I believe buying "RAW" NM copies of many Silver-Age and most Bronze-Age books that guide for less than $50 would be good investments (assuming you can get them close to guide price).

It will be much easier for $10 guide value Bronze-Age book to be worth $100 than a $1,000 Silver-Age book to be worth $10,000 20-25 years from now.

Kevin -

I guess it depends on the issue. A 9.0 of an early JIM could go for several multiples of NM Guide, whereas almost any ASM wouldn't be worth "investing" in unless it was a solid NM or NM+. Then again, I'd say that terrific looking 9.0's and 8.5's (or 8.0's or 6.5's) are currently undervalued and should be bought on the cheap whenever possible. Eye appeal is ultimately more important than the numerical rating.

Regarding Silver Age investments in general, I'd say that folks can go after major keys, rare books in HG, or take a chance that a minor character (or early work by a major artist) will become highly desired in the future. There's simply not much more to say - the book is either important or scarce or both. Nothing else will ever appreciate in value from an investment perspective.

Personally, I only collect SA Marvels because I love these stories, love the covers, and love the characters. If they appreciate, all the better. Also, I like the thrill of the hunt and am happy that books like these don't pop up every week on Ebay, etc. Just often enough to keep me excited about the hunt.

Dan

Kevin -

I guess it depends on the issue. A 9.0 of an early JIM could go for several multiples of NM Guide, whereas almost any ASM wouldn't be worth "investing" in unless it was a solid NM or NM+. Then again, I'd say that terrific looking 9.0's and 8.5's (or 8.0's or 6.5's) are currently undervalued and should be bought on the cheap whenever possible. Eye appeal is ultimately more important than the numerical rating.

Regarding Silver Age investments in general, I'd say that folks can go after major keys, rare books in HG, or take a chance that a minor character (or early work by a major artist) will become highly desired in the future. There's simply not much more to say - the book is either important or scarce or both. Nothing else will ever appreciate in value from an investment perspective.

Personally, I only collect SA Marvels because I love these stories, love the covers, and love the characters. If they appreciate, all the better. Also, I like the thrill of the hunt and am happy that books like these don't pop up every week on Ebay, etc. Just often enough to keep me excited about the hunt.

Dan

Dan

I have to agree with you. ASM's nobody really wants them unless they are 9.4+ I know I don't really want a 9.0/9.2 AS unless it's #11,other than that,I'll do without. I don't collect anything else other than Silver Age Marvel pre 65,I get excited when I see a 9.0 Amazing Fantasy 15 or a 9.4 FF 4 as well as a 9.0 JIM 83,I know that they are around,You don't see them every single day like a 9.4 Hulk 181,But every few months some really great comes around,something really good that I don't have the cash on me at the time to buy 893frustrated.gif it's always the way