• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandman No. 18 Cover

21 posts in this topic

I've been waiting for this auction to go up. After less than a day, it's already at my maximum bid. This is one of the better Sandman covers and is worth every penny of $15K.

I've been waiting for this auction to go up. After less than a day, it's already at my maximum bid. This is one of the better Sandman covers and is worth every penny of $15K.

Agreed. I recall a thread a few weeks or months ago discussing the overlap of comic art and fine art and folks like McKean crossing from one to the other... this is certainly a superb illustration of that phenomenon.

iam shocked that reserve was over 20k. i really think that they really never wanted to sell the cover in the 1st place. and just wanted to test the market. sort of kicking the tires before you buy. to see what the market was willing shell out.

is the cover worth 25k ? or more 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmm. maybe maybe not. i think if he relist the cover six months from the results most likely will be the same or a tad higher. over 20k wonder what other sandman covers will comeout the woodwork.

larry;]

If this was someone random seller pushing the peanut, I'd agree with you Larry, but it was Dave McKean selling the cover. McKean has held on to four original covers and the idea was that this would be the last cover he ever sold. You'll agree that Dave had every right to sell the cover for whatever price he felt appropriate, including the moon. He's always sold artwork at top value, but the market has driven those prices way up. $1500 for a great Arkham Asylum page in 1990, is today easily in the plus 6k area. There is a standing offer of 100k of a couple of Sandman covers and the owners haven't moved them. And don't forget that within the past year a 1 of 1 colour print sold three times (once to the buyer, once from the buyer to Burkey and thirdly from Burkey to a new buyer) in the 10k range. A few more of these 1 of 1 colour print covers have traded hands, but I am not aware of their price range I wish he had ended the auction early and sold the cover for the highest bid, it would have been a deal.

irchooker. thanks on the quick education on the mckean art market. me being old school. had no ideal that mckean sandman covers were that pricey. i read the 1st 10 or 15 issues of sandman and i did read arkham. with i thought was great. and if saw a page from that book in my price range that i could afford i would jump on it. but at 6k that would be way out my range at this time. still good stuff tho.

you say a few of the mckean covers had standing offers of 100k. that, mind blowing to think we have modern art that can reach those numbers. while every one was making a big bru-ha about the neal adams batman page that ended at 27k.

and your right. dave can sell his art at what ever price he thinks it worth. thats what make this country so great it,s the american way. thumbsup2.gif

thanks. larry;]

And don't forget that within the past year a 1 of 1 colour print sold three times (once to the buyer, once from the buyer to Burkey and thirdly from Burkey to a new buyer) in the 10k range. A few more of these 1 of 1 colour print covers have traded hands, but I am not aware of their price range I wish he had ended the auction early and sold the cover for the highest bid, it would have been a deal.

You don't mean the 16 cover do you? That wasn't a print and never sold while on consignment to Burkey. I won't go into specifics on the cover, but those numbers aren't quite accurate.

The 1/1 prints on ebay sold in the $1500 range.

You don't mean the 16 cover do you? That wasn't a print and never sold while on consignment to Burkey. I won't go into specifics on the cover, but those numbers aren't quite accurate.

Thank you for the new information. My recollection is: listed on cgc forum for a touch over 10 and listed on romitaman for a touch under 10. After the item was removed from the active listings on romitaman, a conversation ensued in which it was strongly implied that the piece sold.

I don't intend to denigrate any art, or the owners. My understanding of the process is this: photoshopping a photo, printing it, cutting the straight edges off with scissors, sticking that piece of paper onto another piece of paper, rubbing a bit of paint onto the seam then taking a picture of this as a cover VS photoshopping a cover and emailing the digital file, then printing the PDF and selling that as a cover... not much of a difference. BUT I can see how some people would consider them vastly, vastly different works of art. I think the most logical conclusion is that McKean left a LOT of money on the table: he should have printed the PDF, cut it with scissors, glued it, rubbed some paint and made an extra 7k, because if he did that for the last batch of covers on the series he could have made up to an extra 100k. Or not.