• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What new comics will be given out on FREE COMIC BOOK DAY

26 posts in this topic

There's an original spiderman story. DC's not doing anything new.

Does free comic day really matter anyway? None of the stores around here really do anything with it other than hand out the free books to regulars as far as I can tell.

Does anyone's LCS do anything to actually get new readers in this day?

I ordered 75 copies of various issues that I'm going to save for halloween.

Even though I'm in love with Kirkman (man crush baby), his book looks really silly. The premise didn't sound too good and the artwork was semi poor. But, as always, I'll give it shot. The only book I've never been fond of by Kirkman was the Jubilee series a few years ago.

Pat

My LCS is located on a busy street. On FCBD they hire a local guy who hand made an incredibly realistic Spider-Man costume to stand on the sidewalk in various "web slinging" poses to bring in kids. He also talks with them, signs stuff, and takes pictures with kids.

They usually see 100-200 new little faces every year on FCBD.

They also give BOXES of the FCBD books to the local law enforcement agencies so when they visit schools, they can hand out comics.

My LCS owner is really excited about the event and is making a day out of it - free candy and sody-pop all day long and he's bringing in an artist to do cariacatures. It sounds like a lot of fun and even the Mrs. is interested in going. I'm hoping to see a bunch of new readers there but don't know how well the event is being promoted. It seems like it's really on a shop to shop basis on how successful the day is for bringing in new readers.

-Bob

Matt,

might be a good time to come by the store again, last year we had cake and punch and a sale for FCBD. Unfortunately every year the date falls on DERBY DAY in Kentucky and this year it doubles as Cinco De Mayo also. Never a real busy day but last year we ran a promotion with the schools to get kids in. Did better than years before.

we get a bunch of books to give away. Some titles are saved for regulars who asked for them but others we get a bunch of for everyone. There are so many solicitied that its not feasible to order alot of ALL of them. Regardless of the name, they are not free to the LCS but are at a substantial discount.

here is a list from the site www.freecomicbookday.com

to be a gold sponsor, a LCS has to order so many of each of the GS level books. Extras over that are at the discretion of the store.

Gold Sponsors Title

Archie Comics Archie Comics Little Archie

Bongo Comics Bongo's Free for All

Dark Horse Comics Umbrella Academy Zero Killer Pantheon City

DC Comics Legion of Super Heroes in the 31st Century

Dynamite Entertainment The Lone Ranger / New Battlestar Galactica Flip Book

Gemstone Publishing Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse

IDW Transformers the Movie Prequel # 1

Image Comics Astounding Wolf-Man # 1

Marvel Comics Amazing Spider-Man Swing Shift

TOKYOPOP Tokyopop Choose Your Weapon

Silver Sponsor Title

Antarctic Press Pirates vs. Ninjas # 1

Ape Entertainment Ape Entertainment’s Comic Spectacular

Arcana Studio Arcana Studio Presents

Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog

Aspen MLT Worlds of Aspen

Blatant Comics Last Blood # 1

Boom! Studios Hunter’s Moon / Salvador Flip Book

CastleRain Entertainment Jack the Lantern: Ghosts

Comic Genesis Comic Genesis 2007

Comic Shop News, Inc Comic Shop News

DC Comics Justice League of America # 0

Devil’s Due Publishing Family Guy / Hack / Slash Flip Book

Digital Webbing Digital Webbing Jam # 1

Drawn and Quarterly Lynda Barry Sampler

Fantagraphics Books The Unseen Peanuts

First Second Books The Train Was Bang On Time

Heroic Publishing Liberty Comics # 0

Impact Books Impact University Volume 3

Keenspot Entertainment Keenspot Spotlight

Legion of Evil Press Comics Festival

Maerkle Press Love and Capes # 4

Marvel Comics Marvel Adventures Three-In-One

Oni Press Whiteout # 1

Renaissance Press Amelia Rules! Hangin’ Out

Rude Dude Productions Nexus Special

Sky-Dog Press Buzzboy / Royboy Red: The Buzz & The ‘Bot

Too Hip Gotta Go Wahoo Morris # 1

Topshelf Productions Owly & Korgi

TwoMorrow Publishing Comics 101: How to & History Lessons from the Pros

Viper Comics Viper Comics Presents: Josh Howard’s Sasquatch

Virgin Comics Ramayan 3392AD

Wildcard Ink Gumby Special

Wizard Entertainment Wizard’s “How to Draw” Sampler

Thanks for the list. My daughter will be glad to see the Owly book while my son will be happy with Mickey 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hopefully these will be available at the KC convention otherwise I may have to swing by a KC-LCS confused-smiley-013.gif

My choices. Definitely most interested in the Owly book:

Dynamite Entertainment The Lone Ranger / New Battlestar Galactica Flip Book 2007

Image Comics Astounding Wolf-Man # 1 2007

Topshelf Productions Owly & Korgi 2007

Pat

The store that I go to gives you one free comic to each person. Is that common among most comic shops?

I see at least four books I'd like to get that day. Depending on who is running the shop that day, I may be able to get all four. What do most people do when they see more then one that they want?

The store that I go to gives you one free comic to each person. Is that common among most comic shops?

I see at least four books I'd like to get that day. Depending on who is running the shop that day, I may be able to get all four. What do most people do when they see more then one that they want?

Depends on the store; some give 3 or 4, some give 1, it just depends on what the store ordered.

You might be allowed to get more books if you purchase something while you are there. Some stores allow a few free ones per person and then if you buy something (say over $10) you can get a few more.

We get one per shop. Personally, I think it defeats the purpose of Free Comic Book Day. A day to sample each companies product. It's really a promotional tool. Now taking more than 1 copy of a book: I can understand why that would be frowned upon.

Pat

My LC'S promote regular customers to take books that they haven't read or wouldn't normally read to see what else is out there, and give the big name books to new comers, which I believe is a good way to approach it.

We get one per shop. Personally, I think it defeats the purpose of Free Comic Book Day. A day to sample each companies product. It's really a promotional tool. Now taking more than 1 copy of a book: I can understand why that would be frowned upon.

Pat

pat,

look at the expense, these are not free to dealers and quite literally there must be what 40 titles coming out. even at the reduced price these books cost, you are looking at maybe 15 bucks a person if they were all inclined to take one of each book. Multiply that times the number of customers, some stores get a thousand people and others only 100, thats a lot of money for sure no matter how you slice it.

Some stores buy NONE to give away, are those the places you want to shop?

Matt,

might be a good time to come by the store again, last year we had cake and punch and a sale for FCBD. Unfortunately every year the date falls on DERBY DAY in Kentucky and this year it doubles as Cinco De Mayo also. Never a real busy day but last year we ran a promotion with the schools to get kids in. Did better than years before.

I'll try to come up - as you said though Derby Day + Cinco De Mayo makes it a little difficult.

I'm going to take a stack of stuff to work and give them to all the folks who have kids 3-10. Gotta hook 'em young devil.gif

Pat

pat,

look at the expense, these are not free to dealers and quite literally there must be what 40 titles coming out. even at the reduced price these books cost, you are looking at maybe 15 bucks a person if they were all inclined to take one of each book. Multiply that times the number of customers, some stores get a thousand people and others only 100, thats a lot of money for sure no matter how you slice it.

Some stores buy NONE to give away, are those the places you want to shop?

I guess I'm saying, at least have an option for current comic enthusiats to obtain more than one book. Since these people (including myself) provide a lot of the current cashflow, when they ask about the books: at least offer to sell at the cost of the books. Selling at cost doesn't even need to be advertised. Owners know who the anal collectors are and can usually discuss things like this (as they tend to come up before FCBD anyway).

I'm not even talking from the standpoint of wanting one of EVERY single book on FCBD. That's especially ludicrious since many of the publishers are not worth picking up (from a store or reader standpoint). I just mean, in my case, 3-4 books. It's really a completionist thing to me. Especially in the instances like Owly where FCBD is the only day that the comic book format comes out and yet there is a mainstay Marvel or DC.

Anyway, just a different perspective. If it comes down to getting new people in the hobby, I'd forego all of my copies. But since FCBD's inception, I've yet to see that being an issue.

Pat