• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how much have YOU spent?

47 posts in this topic

i don,t think it a problem. on how much you spend. be it $ 5.00 or $ 5.000. it just shows that some of us are are at different stages in our life as far as collecting goes.

to me me that the great thing about collecting comic art there is something for everybody low and high end art. but it,s still original art. and we all have something that we can be proud off showing off. i say buy what you can afford with out going into the poor house and be happy.

if someone want.s to spend 27k for an batman page for the collection. then more power to them. as for me they are plenty of art under 1k that i would love to see on my walls. freedom of choice . thats what its all about baby.

larry ;]

I've gone over $5K. I think that means I have a problem.

I've gone well over $5K also,yes you do have a problem.

Says the pot to the kettle poke2.gif

First, congrats, Hal. That's a big decision and I'm happy for you. My biggest purchase was $1100 for my Kirby splash. That doesn't really count cause I did a partial trade. $800 is the most money I've spent on a piece. My hand was shaking when I wrote that email agreeing to buy it. I'm a lightweight compared to alot of you guys, but it's all relative.

Great post BTW IMiller

snappahead. thanks on the comment. i was just trying to shed a lil light on the fact that it,s not about what you spend it more about what you like and what you enjoy. be proud of your collection. i know iam .

larry ;]

I enjoy this site. The civilized world doesn't understand the OA hobby; and that's cool because the people here DO understand it. They understand its hold and its appeal.

Which is why, Larry, I posted my question. (I don't mean to be picking on you. It seems, whenever a question involves money, someone always argues that the money spent is unimportant. It ain't so. If I had unlimited funds, my collection just might improve a hair.)

I wasn't saying that you can't find great art for under a grand -- one of my favorite covers ran me $60 and, if I were to eBay it today, I think I'd get $40...but I still love it -- and I wasn't saying that $ = value. All I was saying was: So, how much have you spent on a single piece of art and did you think it was worth it?

Look at it this way:

If we were two buddies, having a brew and talking about OA and I asked that very question -- How much have you spent? Are you still happy you spent it? -- and you replied, "It matters not how much one spends on original comic art, what truly matters is the enjoyment one finds in one's hobby"...well, you've pretty much killed THAT conversation.

If we were two buddies, having a brew and talking about OA and I asked that very question -- How much have you spent? Are you still happy you spent it? -- and you replied, "It matters not how much one spends on original comic art, what truly matters is the enjoyment one finds in one's hobby"...well, you've pretty much killed THAT conversation.

The problem here is that we're not two buddies having a brew. We're having a public discussion on an internet forum. That my explain the reticence in answering your question. It does for me.

Why does it matter exactly how much someone spent, anyhow? Everyone's budget is different. What's prohibitively expensive to one person is, as you say, "penny candy" to another. So a dollar amount is meaningless unless you really just want to see where you compare. If you're more interested in potential buyer's remorse, the question should be "Are you still happy with the most expensive piece you've ever bought?".

For what its worth, the answer to that question for me would be "Hell, yes!".

I've spent a lot, but i value my collection at roughly five times what i paid - i've made some good deals along the way.

So i see it as a collection, and also an investment. Never want to sell, but if i have to i can.

Nexus, your'e being a bit too defensive here. What's the big deal? Does it matter what the exact amount you've paid on your most expensive piece? Of course not. It's just conversation, man. That's what a forum is for. Shootin the breeze. God knows it's not like there's anything else going on in this forum. Might as well talk about something. Don't wanna participate? You don't have to. OA collector's are so touchy sometimes.

BTW, Nexus your Goon collection is fantastic!

hal. thanks for picking on me man, . serious you can pick on me anytime you want . i would be more than happy to chew the fat with ya anytime. that one of the things i love about this forum.

my comment about it not what you spend but what ya like. i was trying to ease the thought of not having everybody start listing all there expensive art like who johnson is bigger than my johnson., some people don,t want to talk dollars and cents about what they bought. for fear of people asking cheez what do you do for a living or i think ya over paid and got ripped off.

me it no problem. i spent 1000.00 on a mike golden manbat page this jan. and to me it was worth every penny. and i think i really got a great deal. that.s why i jumped all over it. i have been around long enough to know that golden pages don,t just fall from the trees. and if you have the chance to buy in your price range. then it a no brainer you jump before the seller changes there mind.

iam very happy with all my art. i have yet to buy a page i later wished i had not. i only go for pages or art that i tell my self yup. thats the one i gotta have. so i hope this may clear up what i was trying to say. and if your ever in my neck of the woods hit me up ,1st round of brewski.s would be on me. flowerred.gif

thanks. larry ;]

Larry, I always enjoy your posts.

I'd love to see that Michael Golden Manbat page. You were absolutely right to buy it when you could; Golden art is a rarity and he's a special talent.

Unlike you, I've purchased artwork that I later regretted buying. Much, much worse -- I've sold artwork that I really liked when finances forced my hand. There's a Cary Nord splash that I really miss...and a STRANGERS IN PARADISE cover that makes my heart ache....

hal thanks so much for the kind words. i don,t have a scanner yet but if you pm me your addy i would be more than happy to send you a copy via snail mail. but i also know your pain as having to sell of pages. back in the late 80.s i had to sell 95.% of my collection to payoff lawyers from my ex wife. i gave up dark knight pages by miller. a nice steranko and other pages that still bring a tear to the eye. when i see a page in someone gallery that i sold for peanuts back in the day.

the sad thing i cannot afford to but them back. unless i hit the lotto or something the market has change bigtime from the 80.s that,s why iam so picky about what pages i buy today as i keep my self on a budget when it come to buying art.

i have been very lucky to find what art i have already. you don,t need to be rich just buy smart. and do your homework is good and sound advice for all you newbies on the board here. peace.

larry ;]

The most I ever spent was $2000 about 2 and half years ago on the Cover to Silver Surfer 76. I had only planned on bidding around $1200 but that didn't work out. Here is the cover:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=112349&GSub=16693

Its one of my favorite covers from Ron Lim's run on Surfer and I knew I would regret not winning it. This was my first comic art purchase breaking a grand.