• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how much have YOU spent?

47 posts in this topic

Tom Fleming at Fanfare-se has some very nice '52' covers up for sale. I knocked at his door, wanting to know if there was any flex in the prices...and, when there wasn't, I took a deep breath and placed a down payment on the cover I wanted, anyway.

So, thanks Tom, for giving me the time to actually pay for the cover. At fourteen hundred dollars, this is the most expensive piece I've ever bought. Still, I realize: $1400 ain't nothin' but penny candy for some of the collectors out there.

With the recent eBay Neal Adams/Batman Ra's Al Ghul page clocking in at $27 grand -- and that Sandman #18 cover presently at $17K -- it got me wondering: What's the most that you've ever spent on a piece?

And was it worth it?

Tom Fleming at Fanfare-se has some very nice '52' covers up for sale. I knocked at his door, wanting to know if there was any flex in the prices...and, when there wasn't, I took a deep breath and placed a down payment on the cover I wanted, anyway.

So, thanks Tom, for giving me the time to actually pay for the cover. At fourteen hundred dollars, this is the most expensive piece I've ever bought. Still, I realize: $1400 ain't nothin' but penny candy for some of the collectors out there.

With the recent eBay Neal Adams/Batman Ra's Al Ghul page clocking in at $27 grand -- and that Sandman #18 cover presently at $17K -- it got me wondering: What's the most that you've ever spent on a piece?

And was it worth it?

Seventeen Dollars and Twelve Cents.... angel.gif

Ixnay ithWay EstionsQuay egardingRay ashCay

IfeWay is atchingWay. gossip.gif

And was it worth it?

Chris -

I'll happily pay you $18 for each piece in your collection. You'll make a huge profit!

And was it worth it?

Chris -

I'll happily pay you $18 for each piece in your collection. You'll make a huge profit!

Seriously makepoint.gif

I can understand why no one would want to share what is the most they paid for OA. 893naughty-thumb.gif

How about this question then: 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From when you first started out collecting OA, how long did it take you to jump up to the next level in terms of money.

As for me, I have been collecting for about 1 1/2 years now and I feel i'm moving up in terms of how much money I would spend. Still have not made the jump, but I have put in bids at the next level without winning. Scary and exciting at the same time. headbang.gif

My collection of OA is pitifully small. I payed as little as $10 for a page and as much as $250 for a page.

My first "big" ticket item was a Grell Warlord page for $80. That was probably 10 years ago. I'm definitely a small fish in this pond. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

$750 - the most money I've ever spent on a single page and/or comic book related item. I dunno if I'll ever be able to break that 1K barrier.

Oh but you will..

and it gets worse from there

Most I spent on a single page was $325 and am now considering jumping to the next level with a $700 purchase. It's quite scarry cause then I start thinking about what else I could get for $700. Think about it, I could get a nice cgc 7.5-8.0 Hulk 181 with that kinda money. Then I ask myself if I want something as an investment or do I not care and just get what I want? It takes a lot for me to just buy on a whim, I need to go over every single detail for a month before I buy.

Well, in my book, there is no comparison here. That comic book is extremely easy to come by in that grade and always will be. You can always buy it; you may pay more but you can always get a copy like that. If a particular piece of art is speaking to you, it may never be available again. Period. There is only one. Almost all of us who have made the leap from comics to art have gone through this kind of thinking. And, once you see the 'logic' it is all downhill from there. All the comics will be out the door. Not to worry, when you hit the lottery, you can buy all the comis back and... you will still have all the cool art you've amassed in the meantime. As a specific example to myself. About 15 years ago I was at the San Diego Con. I came to buy a decent copy of Captain America 1..... There were 5 copies in the room that I could see. Just one day and just one slice of the hobby. Take your pick. I passed on all of them and bought art.... haven't looked back since. Dan

Most I spent on a single page was $325 and am now considering jumping to the next level with a $700 purchase. It's quite scarry cause then I start thinking about what else I could get for $700. Think about it, I could get a nice cgc 7.5-8.0 Hulk 181 with that kinda money. Then I ask myself if I want something as an investment or do I not care and just get what I want? It takes a lot for me to just buy on a whim, I need to go over every single detail for a month before I buy.

i have a modest collection. got back in the game about 5 years ago. i have pages i bought for $ 5.00 and up and the most is $ 1k this past jan an x-mas gift to my self. i don,t think i will try to top that any time soon. larry ;]

I can understand why no one would want to share what is the most they paid for OA. 893naughty-thumb.gif

How about this question then: 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From when you first started out collecting OA, how long did it take you to jump up to the next level in terms of money.

As for me, I have been collecting for about 1 1/2 years now and I feel i'm moving up in terms of how much money I would spend. Still have not made the jump, but I have put in bids at the next level without winning. Scary and exciting at the same time. headbang.gif

I bought a page for around $27, then soon after I bought a cover to the same series for $980. Luckily, I was given 3 months to pay the piece off. Since then, I've only been an admirer on the sidelines. It's just tuff to keep my comic collecting going and OA.

I do understand why people are hesitant to share how much they've spent on a specific piece. Still, I think it's Krazy talk to say that a generality ("I dropped $300 on a Superman cover") is gonna have any impact on the value of a person's collection.

The reason I posted was, I'm a bit amazed that I'm spending this much on a piece of comic art. I spent $650 once...and thought I'd topped out. In fact, I was sure of it.

Man, was I wrong.

It seems as if the most desirable artwork keeps going up...and up...and up...in price. I'm not exactly certain why. Is it dealer-driven? Are the auction houses causing it? Are the artists demanding more? Are there simply more collectors in the field?

Or is the answer (E) All of the above?

It seems as if the most desirable artwork keeps going up...and up...and up...in price. I'm not exactly certain why. Is it dealer-driven? Are the auction houses causing it? Are the artists demanding more? Are there simply more collectors in the field?

Dealer driven? Artists demanding more?

At the end of the day, someone has to pay those prices, so that means our fellow collectors are causing it. No one is point a gun at people to buy the art at high prices, they all do it willingly.

Malvin

I do understand why people are hesitant to share how much they've spent on a specific piece. Still, I think it's Krazy talk to say that a generality ("I dropped $300 on a Superman cover") is gonna have any impact on the value of a person's collection.

The reason I posted was, I'm a bit amazed that I'm spending this much on a piece of comic art. I spent $650 once...and thought I'd topped out. In fact, I was sure of it.

Man, was I wrong.

$650? Amature

E all of the above

The most I've spend was $2500 for a fully painted Alex Maleev DD cover.

I also bought a Hobgoblin/Spidey battle scene for $1200

The rest of mine are $1000 or less.

My cheapest page was $35 for an unknown artist, unknown title, but it was cool mystical Egyptian tomb stuff, so I got it.

I've only got 2 pieces (working on a third) and I've found out that I can't buy a piece from a book that has no meaning to me. For instance, I found a really cool looking page of Wolverine that's selling for $45 right now. But it's in a book and part of a story I couldn't care less about so I won't buy it. Now I found a really cool looking page of Wolverine from the first book that got me started collecting again (you know, the book that makes you go "wow, I gotta get this") selling for $700 and I'm really considering it.

I have a page from Marvel Zombies cause I'm a huge fan of that book and I have a battle page from Daredevil 111 because the Silver Samurai is one of my favorite characters and that book is his first appearance. So I guess my question is, are you the kind of collector who will buy any page that looks real cool(not that there's anything wrong with that) or does that page or cover have to mean something to you?