• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, where's all the VF's?

26 posts in this topic

This seems to really embody the notion of 'buying the slab, rather than the book.' I agree that

1) there are many instances in which a slightly lower-graded book has considerably better eye appeal

2) there are many people who seem enamored of the CGC grade, more than the book itself

Not only do I think that VF to VF/NM books may appreciate as much as NM-/NM books in some cases over the next say, five years, I think there's an outside possibility that the entire methodology/philosophy behind grading shifts significantly over time, such that various types of defects - and even restoration - are regarded less harshly by the comic book collecting community. If this proves to be the case, we may find that 10 years from now, many CGCed "NM 9.4" books are laughably off in terms of what people consider "true NM" at that point in time.

After all, this has happened before...it's an evolving situation.

If this proves to be the case, we may find that 10 years from now, many CGCed "NM 9.4" books are laughably off in terms of what people consider "true NM" at that point in time.

This is why I say that standards can only get looser (not stricter). Prior to CGC, the grade of a book was not "written in stone". Now IT IS written on the LABEL.

Do you really believe that CGC will start down grading books for mis-cuts, distribution markings, printer creases, printer tears, etc?

Thereby, everyone who does want to buy a book has to call prior to purchasing and determine when the book was graded. And then throwing the whole third-party grading idea in the toilet.

Plus, they wouldn't get resubmits. "Gee I can't wait to send my CGC NM book back for regrading so it can get a NM- grade under the new standards". That's not going to happen.

Nice VF to NM- books are very desirable assuming they have nice "eye appeal" and don't have certain defects that bother you more than other defects (i.e. I can't stand Marvel chipping).

i agree with all these recent comments... which is why I most prefer to buy my books in person and not cgc'd, so you can really see and examine all the defects. there are times where buying a cgc book for a high dollar purchase makes a lot of sense because there is a security notion involved here and you can count on (with a high degree of certainty) that the book isn't restored and is in the grade advertised. But for the vast majority of the books out there, and the ones I own, grading is only relative as to pricing. I don't want to pay more than VF (unless the market demands it) going rate, if the book wouldn't grade higher than that. Ultimately though, the question is do i want this particular book to go in my collection. I really only want to buy a book once and be happy with the copy. that means for me, when I take it out and look at it, will I be happy with how the book looks and reads. I still love the idea of being able to look at the interior of the comic. I don't ever actually sit down and read the high grade books, just maybe look at some interior pages or a particular piece.

I think the gap will close between 8.5s/9.0s and 9.4s, but more likely a slight lowering of the 9.4 price and a greater realization of full guide on the 8.5s and 9.0s. To me, getting more books is better... but of course, that's not every collector.

i love accurate VF & VF+, especially back cover damage. Its not worth it to me for the extra multiples. Many collectors i am in contact with are the same. I really think the Ultra High end collectors are more of a minority, but a very vocal & $$$ spending group.

Obviously the super high end guys don't represent the majority of collectors because, as you said, they've got all the money, and when they spend it, there aren't too many guys who can afford that NM 9.4 ASM #1.

But since they tend to spend the big bucks their voice is an important one, cause they're buying up a lot of the books, and giving some mainstream publicity to the hobby.

What I spend each year on comics is a drop in the bucket compared to some of these guys, and probably what some guys spend on one book.

I love accurate VF & VF+, especially back cover damage. Its not worth it to me for the extra multiples. Many collectors i am in contact with are the same. I really think the Ultra High end collectors are more of a minority, but a very vocal & $$$ spending group.

Hit the nail on the head. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It like reading in the paper that several very expensive homes have been sold. They don't mention the other thousand middle income homes that sold. Plus, usually just like with homes, it takes much longer to sell a very higher-grade expensive book than it does a nice VF to NM- book.