• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men #94 cgc 9.6....oh oh!

106 posts in this topic

Can I ask a question on this which I have wondered for a while? Why do you bid so early on a book like this - are you trying to scare people off from bidding on it too?

Sometimes I wonder why ANYONE would put a bid in until the very last minute. Imagine a scenario in which the book stayed at the opening bid, then everyone put a bid in with 5 seconds to go. Would the final price be higher or lower than if there was a regular bidding pattern? Surely the danger with a tactic such as BB13's is that an equally determined bidder will start to bid the book up, compared with sniping at the end with the same amount bid?

Can I ask a question on this which I have wondered for a while? Why do you bid so early on a book like this - are you trying to scare people off from bidding on it too?

Sometimes I wonder why ANYONE would put a bid in until the very last minute. Imagine a scenario in which the book stayed at the opening bid, then everyone put a bid in with 5 seconds to go. Would the final price be higher or lower than if there was a regular bidding pattern? Surely the danger with a tactic such as BB13's is that an equally determined bidder will start to bid the book up, compared with sniping at the end with the same amount bid?

i always wondered the same thing...the opening bid or if people bid on an auction when it first starts it don't really matter,it only matters when it's closing. Kevin

I can only speak for myself but I'll put in an early max bid if I know I won't be around to snipe at the end. Can't be on the computer all the time.......

You'd be surprised how often you can win this way actually. A person usually will try to outbid you three times on average before they stop. I believe that other potential bidders see this and are discouraged from bidding themselves altogther or will bid once and stop thinking your max is too high. I have no way of confirming of course but I've won numerous lots for way below my max this way in the past.

Jim

sometimes people aren't around when the auction is closing... but the other reason is that I'll bid early just to track the auction and remind myself that the auction is going on. It is a risk too to wait til the last second... you don't know if you're computer will suddenly freeze up or you're internet connection will seize up... who knows? If it's something I want, I won't always wait til the absolute last minute.

Doesn't sniping software help out on that front though - I do a lot of stuff with that now so that I can catch up on my beauty sleep smirk.gif

I can see the logic on scaring people off, but in my experience the real psycho's just keep going until they've outbid you. I wasted a LOT of money that way when I first starting using ebay. The prices I paid to complete a Sandman set at the time was absolutely appalling. frown.gif

Doesn't sniping software help out on that front though - I do a lot of stuff with that now so that I can catch up on my beauty sleep smirk.gif

I can see the logic on scaring people off, but in my experience the real psycho's just keep going until they've outbid you. I wasted a LOT of money that way when I first starting using ebay. The prices I paid to complete a Sandman set at the time was absolutely appalling. frown.gif

Yeah.. it works out that way sometimes... sometimes not. I think you base your bidding strategies in part taking into consideration who the other bidders are. Doing a little research helps. Obviously, you approach a "gotta win" newbie differently than a seasoned bidder who has limits but may react to you.

sometimes people aren't around when the auction is closing... but the other reason is that I'll bid early just to track the auction and remind myself that the auction is going on. It is a risk too to wait til the last second... you don't know if you're computer will suddenly freeze up or you're internet connection will seize up... who knows? If it's something I want, I won't always wait til the absolute last minute.

I won't wait till the last second either cause i'm usually at work when something i really want goes up for auction and it ends while i'm at work so i usally have to throw in a huge bid that no one else will pay but me,just to win it,I usually just use the "watch this auction" feature instead of placing a bid,so i won't have to till near the end. Kevin

Bruce, if I were you, bid once and low to "book mark" and have folks speculate on your interest, Then drop the bomb last second ($5K - $7K???). Statistically the way to save you the most $$$. You just opened yourself up to punishment bidders the way you did it who will drive it up. This strategy has worked everytime but once on variants I wanted, then again not of the 30 centers are hitting 4 digits on the norm in any shape...

Bruce, if I were you, bid once and low to "book mark" and have folks speculate on your interest, Then drop the bomb last second ($5K - $7K???). Statistically the way to save you the most $$$. You just opened yourself up to punishment bidders the way you did it who will drive it up.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, nice shootin' guys...there's a perfectly rational reason why sometimes it makes sense to drive up the price of an item early and often.

How many times have you seen a hard-to-find item you wanted suddenly become "no longer available for sale" because somebody struck a deal behind the scenes with the seller? Well, I did my best to drive up this XM #94 to around $5K to pre-empt such a thing. This is an expensive and hard-enough-to-find book that I am 100% sure people have contacted the seller about ending the auction early (or at least they would have had the price remained low). Not all sellers realize that this is a $6K+ book now...if the bidding had stalled around $2.5K or $3K, the seller may very well have jumped at the chance to sell the book for $4.5K or $5K to a savvy buyer coaxing him to end the auction early. 893naughty-thumb.gif I'm pretty sure I won't win this book, but I'll be a monkey's uncle before I let somebody "steal" this book for $5K or less.

Gene

So, out of curiousity, what does that do to the value in your opinion? How many 9.6s were there the last time you checked?

I'm just curious if you're going by the straight-up "multiple" formula to determine the value of CGCed books or if you can place some market value by analyzing the trends... or, god help us all, the books have some sentimental value? wink.gif