• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM 129 VG- Should I buy it or leave it?- Updated w/ more pics

21 posts in this topic

Hi! I was sent a scan of the cover of Amazing Spider-Man 129 (see below), and wondered what you all thought. My only annoyance is the edge is cut off on this. He's asking me $65 + s/h which sounds like a solid deal by OSPG. AND I'd love to have an original of this issue. Hopefully, I'll get some more scans from him. Anyhow, he told me that he'd reimburse sales price if I wasn't happy with his grading of it (VG 4.0) so that SOUNDS good. But, you are all much wiser in the ways of comic bookdome than I. smile.gif Is this a good deal? Do I walk now?

Please help!

Spider-man129.jpg

So much not seen....minor things like the back cover and front cover edges!

...but, what is seen is encouraging. Looks much better than 4.0. Looks F/VF range.

So the obvious question is, what's wrong with this book that he only wants VG price for it?

lol! Who WOULDN'T enjoy owning an original ASM 129 in solid shape? The fact that I was able to get one at an affordable price is the icing on the cake!-) I know it's not HG, but attaining one of my Top 10 comics is a major accomplishment.

Update: I got the comic in today, and was initially very surprised as the pages are actually more off-white than tan (the tannish color you see in the picture is literally only on the bottom edge- everything else looks off-white. The rest of the comic is definitely on par with some of my Fine- graded issues. Then, I saw it- the dreaded clipped coupon!!! 893whatthe.gif

Normally, I don't get too wrapped around the axle over a clipped coupon SO LONG as it doesn't affect the story panels- which this one did. It's about 2"x2" and is smack in the middle of a page. Now, I've been told I grade too harshly on these sort of faults, but my gut reaction is to drop this VG/FN, FN- comic down to a G+, G/VG.

Second issue is that I paid OSG price for a VG issue. Buying ASM 129 at OSG is usually tricky, but I'm annoyed that he didn't disclose this despite my asking (and his supposedly grading harder than dealers). Should I ask for a partial refund, or just bite the bullet calling it an eBay-lesson learned foreheadslap.gif? I definitely wanted a copy of this issue, and it is in overall decent condition despite the clipped coupon, but I definitely would have made a slightly lower offer had I known about this defect.

Thoughts?

Yeah, if you don't mind the missing coupon then get some $ back. Depends on what you're willing to accept. Ask yourself if you would have even bid on it had that missing coupon been disclosed.

I mean, you bought it at an auction, everyone else bid with the idea that the coupon was intact and for certain no one took into account that it messed with the story. What would the final bid have been if the listing stated: "coupon cut out ___inches of story missing on page ____" Chances are the price would have been a lot less (I'm assuming this was e bay, I think I saw that...if not just ignore me). wink.gif

Yeah, it was ebay. I even went through the nutroll of not taking his 100% rating for 400+ transactions into account by reviewing feedback from buyers whom he sold comics to. Talk about frustrating.

If I KNEW there was coupon missing, I'd probably still have placed a Best Offer on it- just one reflecting the actual grade. Ah well. Will let you know the end result.

Wow, sorry this happened. No excuse on the seller's part. The most charitable explanation is he didn't look through the book.

You might want to ask yourself this question: if you keep it, will it annoy you every time you look at the book?

Well, I heard back from the seller. He said he didn't recall seeing the cut, was apologetic about the error, and is refunding me a little more than the OS price difference between a VG (4.0) and a G+ (2.5) which I'm okay with. I had a dealer I know well, and know to be a scrupulous grader, take a look at the book to get his opinion. He figured, I should probably take 2.0 points off of it, and not grade it any higher than VG. The good news was that he figured any lower than VG- would be overly harsh considering the rest of the book. So, if nothing else, I ended up paying around $30 or so for a VG copy of ASM 129 which isn't so bad.

But I agree, cut coupon = tonofbricks.gif