• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jive's idea for a great thread and a great cause...please read.

19 posts in this topic

Okay, so I've been kicking around an idea for a couple of days, and I wanted to run it by you guys to see if there would be any interest in doing something like this.

Basically, I would like to organize a "Post-a-Thon" over the Memorial Day weekend where Forum members would get to share with us their GA WW2 covers and combine it with a pledging effort that would help raise donations for one, if not more, legitimate veterans groups.

So, if you wanted to participate, and were willing to pledge a mere dime per war cover posted, (appropriate enough, considering the cover prices of the era), and the Forum posts a total of say 300 books, you were committing yourself to making a $30 donation to the veterans group of your choice. You can also, of course, decide to make a flat donation if you so choose.

I think it would be a great way to not only consolidate all the awesome war covers posted in other threads over the years and to share in a very unique and significant era in comics history, but also to do some good and "pay a little back" to the brave men and women who have served this county.

I realize the Memorial Day weekend is one where a lot of folks are out of town, so I probably would want to make it a week long affair so that as many people as possible can contribute.

I know we have a number of collectors who can easily drive the post count into the hundreds, and I'm hoping some of you feel this might be a endeavor worthy of your time and participation. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Lastly, I don't want this to be a "political" thread of any kind...just a couple of GA guys sharing covers of their great war stuff and pledging to make a donation for a cause they feel is a good one.

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback or flat out "heck yeah, I'm in" posts would be welcome. Thanks.

This sounds cool. I'm up for both posting and donating. I love the war covers, and would love to see all of them in one thread. For those of us not in the USA, can you remind us when Memorial Day Long Weekend is?

This sounds cool. I'm up for both posting and donating. I love the war covers, and would love to see all of them in one thread. For those of us not in the USA, can you remind us when Memorial Day Long Weekend is?

Memorial Day is officially on the 30th, but it is observed on Monday the 28th.

I think I'd like to do it from Friday, the 25th thru the following Thursday, the 31st. That should give us an entire week to post.

I would just suggest that we limit the # of posted books per forum member (maybe 5 or 10 each?), since clearly there are folks here with tons of them.

It would be cool to see some of the really obscure war covers out there too, in addition to the common ones. (Naturally, the donations would be the real reason for doing this, but no one says we can't have fun along the way!)

I am in! I am always game to support our real hero's!

Very cool! Glad to have you aboard! 893applaud-thumb.gif

As for a posting limit, I'd rather shoot for the stars and see how many we get with no pre-established limitations.

If there are concerns that we'll post so much that some pledges will go beyond what the person is willing to donate, they can simply establish a "cap" with their pledge (let's say a dime a book, with a total cap of $30).

I really would want the thread to go as high and as far as the Forum is willing to contribute to it.

If anyone has any suggestions for a specific veterans group that could be the beneficiary of our donations, let me know and I'll start gathering some info this week.

I would love to be involved. And I will post a TON!

I am not clued in on which Veteran's organizations are most in need.

Can someone post this info and/or can a person be in charge of

handling and dispersing contributions? I like the idea of a cap on contributions

in case the post count gets too high, but I'm in at a dime per regardless.

Great Idea!

handling and dispersing contributions? I like the idea of a cap on contributions

Great Idea!

i'm in as well; i'll count up how many WWII covers are in the group shots i'm going to inundate y'all with. get those wallets ready.

Great Idea!

Thanks to both you and Mr. Parker, Richie, I'm thrilled to have the support of two of the Boards heavy hitters. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll have some info to disperse by Wednesday regarding specific organizations in need of donations.

This is a great idea and I am in. For simplicity and to get the tax break, I'd prefer to donate directly to Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA is approved for tax deductible contributions) and post a scan of my receipt afterwards.

This could also be a fun lesson in comics history if you could define "war cover" more precisely and perhaps offer extra points for certain types of patriotic covers? Also, would scans taken from Heritage's database, Metropolis' inventory, or Gerber's Photo-Journal count? How about scans of different copies of the same cover? Just my 2c, I'll pitch in in any case - will decide on a cap once the rules are more clear.

As a member of several of these organizations, I do not want to make any one seem better than another. Although I would suggest anyone considering helping out any service organization to give DAV a look while checking out where to send any funds. http://www.dav.org/

Membership in DAV is strictly limited to service members who have actual service connected disabilitys.

As I said there are many great organizations and this is just one of them.

p.s. I am a member, but do not work for them in any way. I earned my membership the old fashioned way..... thumbsup2.gif

Thank you to everyone for their great ideas and contributions....I appreciate all of your input so far and am very pleased with the response in general.

Here are some rough guidelines that I think might work for us:

- The posting period will be from Thursday, May 24th until Wednesday. May 30th (the actual day of Memorial Day). So we have a whole week to post our war covers, should give us plenty of time.

- I will create a seperate thread titled the "1st Annual Golden Age Forum Memorial Day Post-A-Thon" (or something to that effect) early on Thursday morning with a final set of guidelines, links or suggestions for worthy Veterans organizations to donate to, and a list of those Forum members and their pledges (unless they would prefer to keep the info private).

- Regarding your pledge. I think the "dime/book" standard is a good one to stick to, you can also add in a Minimum or Maximum/Cap to your pledge in case your concerned that the Board won't post enough books (in the case of a Minimum) or that we might post too much (hence, a cap).

Myself, I will go with a dime a book pledge, with a $100 cap. I haven't settled on which Veterans organization I will donate to, but I'll make up my mind in time.

- As for the pledges, I prefer this work on the "Honor" system. Meaning, you are responsbile for completing your donation to the organization of your choice after the Post-A-Thon has completed. I figure that's the best way to go as trying to organize donations via Paypal will automatically mean we lose a percentage of the funds if one person were to collect it, and then again when that person made the donation. I would prefer that all the money we can muster go directly to the organizations themselves.

To that end, when you decided on how much you want to pledge per book (a dime, a quarter, or a flat donation) and which organization you are going to donate to, either feel free to post the info in this thread or PM me as I would like to put together a total tally of our efforts when we are done.

- As for the what we should post, here are a few simple guidelines to follow:

1). Make sure the books are yours and are within your possession (or perhaps are prized books that once were, that works too). In addition to getting a solid post count for donation purposes, we are also trying to assemble a thread with contributing scans from Forumites about books from their collections. If we started posting any war cover from auction sites or the Heritage archives, it minimizes the goal of sharing what is yours (though I'm sure it would do wonders for the total post count!)

2). This is a Golden Age Forum, so any war cover from the 30s-50s is fair game: Timely, DC, Atlas, EC, Nedor, etc. WW2 & Korea are obviously going to be the big ones, but even revolutionary war covers from titles like "Real Life" will work. Any grade, any shape, as long as its a war cover, it qualifies.

3). I would prefer scans or digital pics of individual books if possible. Yes, its more time consuming, but it gives us the ability to appreciate those great war covers on their own and also keep a more accurate total post count.

4). Have fun with your posts, if you have a funny or interesting back story to share about a particular book, feel free. We're all here to both share our love for the hobby and do a little good, so don't just think we want scans or pics only.

- So that keeping a post count is not a one man effort, I'd like to keep a rolling count of how many books we've posted on every 10th or 15th page or so. I would ask for volunteers that can help with this besides myself. All we need to do is update the thread with a current count after every 10 or 15 pages of new pics. I would imagine this would only need to be a done a maximum of once every day or two.

- Regarding which Veterans organizations to donate to, some of the one's mentioned so far are excellent and I've included a few more for your consideration:

Disabled Veterans of America

Paralyzed Veterns of America

Operation Gratitude (for those currently serving Vets)

Homes for our Troops

Blinded Veterans Association

Walter Reed Health Care System

This is a far from comprehensive list, so feel free to suggest others for us to consider. Also, we have three weeks left before we need to post, so feel free to offer suggestions or recommendations on how we can better our efforts.

Thanks again to everyone who has committed to helping out...you guys are the best! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm in!

And may I suggest a donation to your local Boys and Girls State programs, run by the American Legion? It's a great program that introduces high school students to politics and law-making.

http://www.legion.org/?section=prog_evt&subsection=evt_bs&content=evt_bs

http://girlsnation-auxiliary.com/girlsstate.asp

I'm a 1990 Nevada Boys State alum (http://www.nevadaboysstate.org/) and even went back a couple times as a camp counselor.

As a general rule, Girls State is very under-funded compared to Boys State, so consider donating there as well.

bumpit.gif

Just a reminder, we're kicking off the Post-A-Thon next week, so get your scans ready!

Also, I only have a firm pledge commitment from one or two folks....please post in this thread or PM me your pledge (a dime/book, a flat amount, etc) before we start things this week so I can begin to track the total amount we raise.

Thanks guys!