• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would this SHOWCASE #4 CGC 9.6 sell for?

112 posts in this topic

I would be shocked to see an AF 15 9.6 hit $500k.

hello all...

I guess from my perspective...9.2, 9.6, 9.8, I don't personally care (I own one book above 9.0, on accident)....I guess there are a LOT of folks that care about that (the subtle, almost indistinquishable difference in a 9.4 and a 9.6)...I am just not one of them...give me 3.0 to 9.0's all day long (that kind of Action run, I was refering to...with the #1 in a g/vg range)...

same book, just as enjoyable, but not a uber high grade...while I don't understand it (having to have the highest graded copy), I certainly respect folks right to persue it!

thanks

gator

In general a higher grade means a higher price. So, when a label says 9.6 and not 9.6, enough people will pay more. A lot more. But I agree with you, up to a point. There are many cirsumstance in which I wont pay more for the 9.6, or, rather, just wont buy a 9.6 when a 9.4 or 9.2 is nearly the best copy. So im not a chaser of the best copy as defined solely by the CGC grade.

As for AF15 in 9.6 for 500K? I would have said 300K as my outside high price, but, sure, at the right moment to the right buyer I could see 500K.

And the census helps having only one with 6 undercopy 9.4s. And of course its THE book of THE character right now.

Wait till the new FF movie though!! : )

Also, about Showcase 4? Its the first appearance of the second Flash. Who is STILL dead and has been for 20 years! Yes its the first Silver Age superhero, but, no match for AF15.

If there is a buyer at 200K or more? Good luck fella! Showcase 4 is probably the LAST place where Im putting my 200K any time soon.

Also, about Showcase 4? Its the first appearance of the second Flash. Who is STILL dead and has been for 20 years! Yes its the first Silver Age superhero, but, no match for AF15.

If there is a buyer at 200K or more? Good luck fella! Showcase 4 is probably the LAST place where Im putting my 200K any time soon.

agreed...

gator

I agree as well. I've never had any interest in this book, and the only reason I'd spend more than $20 for it is so I could sell it for a profit.

As for AF15 in 9.6 for 500K? I would have said 300K as my outside high price, but, sure, at the right moment to the right buyer I could see 500K.

No way in hell...it's one thing to pay silly money for comics costing a couple thousand. It's another all together to over pay by hundreds of thousand. People with that kind of money can be careless to a point in paying for their desired purchases but most likely they didn't get into that position by being stupid. And paying $500K in the current market for a SA comic, however key it is and with numerous pretty 9.4s to be had, is blatant stupidity... makepoint.gif

Jim

No way in hell...it's one thing to pay silly money for comics costing a couple thousand. It's another all together to over pay by hundreds of thousand. People with that kind of money can be careless to a point in paying for their desired purchases but most likely they didn't get into that position by being stupid. And paying $500K in the current market for a SA comic, however key it is and with numerous pretty 9.4s to be had, is blatant stupidity... makepoint.gif

Jim

I don't know, there's always a rich *spoon* out there. How much did McFarlane pay for that McGwire Home run ball again? 27_laughing.gif

I don't know, there's always a rich *spoon* out there. How much did McFarlane pay for that McGwire Home run ball again? 27_laughing.gif

Ah...but MacFarlane can be excused to a certain extent as he thought he was buying the one and only homerun record breaking baseball. Who'd have known the record would be shattered so quickly... 27_laughing.gif

And besides...there was only one baseball with absolutely no chance of there being another in regards to the same record. With comics, your one and only top census copy can be eclipsed pretty quickly these days..,

Jim

If Eric Roberts ever sells his CGC 9.6 copy of AF#15, then you'll see some serious demand for a silver age book. I believe that book could sell for up to $500K.

How do you substantiate this number? I personally think it would be far less for a Silver Age comic with 6 other copies in 9.4...

Jim

Substantiate it? I don't have to substantiate the number. It is my opinion and belief.

Not just you. It would set the entire hobby on fire and invite all sorts of attention from the "outside world." But I believe that if Eric Roberts put that book up for sale in a well-advertised, easily accessible venue, you'd get people like Leonardo DiCaprio, John Dolmayan, and other well-heeled people taking notice, and the bidding would outstrip anything you've ever seen before. There may be other 9.4s out there, but this copy is the best existing copy of the most popular back-issue character there is, and perhaps the biggest "media" superhero going these days.

Like the case with Action Comics # 1, I dont think the highest graded copies have been slabbed for AF15. I think a 9.8 is out there and there are probably a few 9.6s.

I think the gut[the instinct] of most big collectors tells them that.There really are alot of copies of AF15 out there in all conditions. The book is old but isnt ancient.

I dont think it unreasonable to assume there are just a few 9.6.s. I think this is what makes it top out at 350k or so. No law of the universe here.Just one lone opinion.You never know with the celebs though who I think are less likely to do there homework and act on spontaneity.

As for showcase #4. I think the biggest most humongous prices are generated by characters that transend the hobby.Superman, Batman and Spiderman. I dont see National focus being set on the re-emergence of the goldenage Flash into his Silver age counterpart.

Not just you. It would set the entire hobby on fire and invite all sorts of attention from the "outside world." But I believe that if Eric Roberts put that book up for sale in a well-advertised, easily accessible venue, you'd get people like Leonardo DiCaprio, John Dolmayan, and other well-heeled people taking notice, and the bidding would outstrip anything you've ever seen before. There may be other 9.4s out there, but this copy is the best existing copy of the most popular back-issue character there is, and perhaps the biggest "media" superhero going these days.

Totally agree... thumbsup2.gif for all the points mentioned....nice and to the point and you didn't attack anyone.. 893applaud-thumb.giftongue.gif

Like the case with Action Comics # 1, I dont think the highest graded copies have been slabbed for AF15. I think a 9.8 is out there and there are probably a few 9.6s.

I think the gut[the instinct] of most big collectors tells them that.There really are alot of copies of AF15 out there in all conditions. The book is old but isnt ancient.

I dont think it unreasonable to assume there are just a few 9.6.s. I think this is what makes it top out at 350k or so. No law of the universe here.Just one lone opinion.You never know with the celebs though who I think are less likely to do there homework and act on spontaneity.

I see your point about collectors being sheepish to the fact that better copies could arise .. but for me.. I think to find a 9.6-9.8 copy of either book is pretty much a statistical long shot. These books were never appreciated..and if there was someone that did love them.. they didn't know how to properly care for them to that extreme of holding out in such a grade. So I can concur with Scott that a 9.6 AF#15 could reach $500M .. but I remember Doug had his FF#1 9.6 with white pages selling for $500M and it didn't sell. Not that he would want to let it go.. (damn FF lover tongue.gif) I would love to know if high ball offers ever come from that one.

I dont know why it has to be Leonardo DiCaprio or any famous person to buy it. Theres lots of money around in the hands of people that might be interested in a (for now at least) best existing piece of Americana thats all around them in the media lately. But then again, we havent seen to many of these people (or their cash) any time yet.

It is a long shot but I think there is more than 1 [9.6] out there yet to be graded.

Spiderman is red hot. He is Americas #1 Superhero.

Superman is the most popular Superhero in the world but Spiderman is the most popular Superhero in America right now and he is RED hot !

If my memory is serving me well in regards to Showcase 4. I know Metro has or had a 9.4, Mark has a 9.2 but a cant remember who has the 9.6 ?

From what I recall, Motor City had the 9.6 graded in 2005, right about this time of year..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif