• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would this SHOWCASE #4 CGC 9.6 sell for?

112 posts in this topic

Ive always assumed he is little ricky but he is quite popular in the world of wacky pakages.

I don't doubt that.. but if it's handed to you instead of working for it... then it's a shame... come to think of it... is this the dude that has the website to show off his stuff... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Adding to the fact that getting a bettor copy of Action comics # 1[in bettor than 6.5] is not feasible is that even the only 2 copies on the census that are graded higher BOTH have negitive connotations[notes] attached to them.

Adding to the fact that getting a bettor copy of Action comics # 1[in bettor than 6.5] is not feasible is that even the only 2 copies on the census that are graded higher BOTH have negitive connotations[notes] attached to them.

That's only because they were graded early on when CGC used to be more liberal about label notes, isn't it? For all we know, your 6.5 might have had notes if it had been graded during the early days. That's why I've never understood your aversion to CGC blue label books that have non-restoration-related notes on them (such as "rusted staples"). What if your 6.5 had notes that said "spine stress and edge wear"? Would that make it any less of a book?

That's only because they were graded early on when CGC used to be more liberal about label notes, isn't it? For all we know, your 6.5 might have had notes if it had been graded during the early days. That's why I've never understood your aversion to CGC blue label books that have non-restoration-related notes on them (such as "rusted staples"). What if your 6.5 had notes that said "spine stress and edge wear"? Would that make it any less of a book?

I dont hate all notes. I like

Allentown

Milehigh

Larson.

yeah, they dont do notes anymore cause guys like you felt like you do about the notes! SO they stopped. I agree a book that didnt have th eneed for a note does seem to be a cleaner book, but many of the notes seemed harmless to me.

Its more that im afraid of what other really high end collectors think.There are always exceptions of course but by the by most of them have [clean books] which is my term for a grade,page color and nothing else on the label[except maybe pedigree status.Its just my collecting style from observing very high end collectors.

There are always exceptions.I am not speaking in absolutes here.

Many of them are harmless but when you pay 100k, 200k for a single book you cant blame me for taking them seriously, can you? Where not talking about a Golden Ladd # 1 ! A note of "rusted staples" is not harmless. It is something to seriously consider when purchasing a million dollar book like that 8.5 Action 1 may very well be.So your right in one way but wrong in another

As for showcase #4. I think the biggest most humongous prices are generated by characters that transend the hobby.Superman, Batman and Spiderman. I dont see National focus being set on the re-emergence of the goldenage Flash into his Silver age counterpart.

For this reason alone, I would put the top auction sale price of this book at $175k.

This book is a technical key, albeit a highly important one, but not a straight out first appearance, or origin issue etc. The book has considerable significance in the 'general' comic arena, but doesn't stand well once you look at it beyond that.

Flash has a strong fan base, but as it's been pointed out, Spiderman, Batman, Superman he is not.

hello all...

I would take Peter's Action 1(almost any action 1) over a SC4 or AF 15 (any grade)....any day of the week...to me, there is "no" comparison in the two, in terms of importance, or relevance in today's superhero world...I realize that Spidey is more popular today, but that certainly doesn't mean to me, that spidey is more important, or that the value is greater...

just my opinion

gator

I would say the top 3 marvel keys (to me anyway) AF 15, FF1, Hulk 1

would always outsell this in the same grade, regardless of quantity available due to the demand, and 'outside perception'

Is there really anyone that would pay $100K + for this book?

gator

I would pay $200,000 for this book. Is that more than $100,000?

S

I would need to get my calculator out...I obviously have no "grasp" on the Silver age market, or demand for uber grade "keys"...I will concede that...that said, book doesn't appeal to me, hence my question, but obviously does to lots of folks!...always good to learn something!

gator

And where's esquire in all this? I figure he needs to upgrade his 9.2 and that should cover the first 40% of the purchase. You gotta put all that DC lawyer money to work at some point.

Many of them are harmless but when you pay 100k, 200k for a single book you cant blame me for taking them seriously, can you? Where not talking about a Golden Ladd # 1 ! A note of "rusted staples" is not harmless. It is something to seriously consider when purchasing a million dollar book like that 8.5 Action 1 may very well be.So your right in one way but wrong in another

Peter, you attach too much significance to the "rusted staples" note on the label. If Kramer were to resub the book to CGC today, I bet the new label wouldn't have any note on it at all because CGC stopped putting that kind of stuff on labels several years ago (after the 8.5 copy was slabbed).