• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would this SHOWCASE #4 CGC 9.6 sell for?

112 posts in this topic

Showcase #4 is extremely difficult to find in high grade. It started the silver age. It contains the first appearance of the most collected S.A. DC character. Have you ever seen what high grade S.A. Flash issues sell for? Do a comparsion between the multiples for a 9.4 early Flash issue and a 9.4 early Spiderman issue. Take a look and then tell me what a Showcase #4 is worth.

S

as for what FLASHes are selling for lately.... the ones Tim sold in Heritage last fall were far and away the best copies to surface EVER! The pent up demand was there. And, they are STILL scarcer in the census than Showcase 4 is, and of course, its a lot easier to buy a few copies of FLASH than a Showcase 4 in similar grade therefore easier to bid away up to 20x guide when they list for "peanuts" As has been pointed out here repeatedly,, Showcase 4 is perhaps the most overpriced book in the Silver Age by Guide. I love it, but not with my cash. I think you could do a heckuva lot better too with 200K.

As for AF15 in 9.6 for 500K? I would have said 300K as my outside high price, but, sure, at the right moment to the right buyer I could see 500K.

No way in hell...it's one thing to pay silly money for comics costing a couple thousand. It's another all together to over pay by hundreds of thousand. People with that kind of money can be careless to a point in paying for their desired purchases but most likely they didn't get into that position by being stupid. And paying $500K in the current market for a SA comic, however key it is and with numerous pretty 9.4s to be had, is blatant stupidity... makepoint.gif

Jim

Do honestly think that buyers who decide to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a single book really care if they have to pay an extra $50,000-$100,000 to obtain probably the most sought after silver age book around? They can just call their broker and do a few stocks flips on daily price fluctuations and volia, done deal. That's a tax refund for some. We are not talking about a middle of the road character like the Flash, its probably the most popular super hero going. Personally if I had the coin I'd love to own this copy.

[ When Supes is 90 and Spidey a spry 70 years old, both well-positioned in Americana for generations, we'll see who collectors vote for.

I dont care either way, having placed my bets across the board. Just interesting to ponder...

This point is well made, but I still think that the historical nature of the Action 1 and the lack of copies (in comparison to AF15) will bear it out.

And I could easily be wrong, in which case, I'd better get my AF15 while I still can.

I sold the book for 140K about 7 years ago. My guess- 350K.

S

His guesses are always high 27_laughing.gif

People thought the Adventure 247 in 9.2 on CLINK would sell in the 20's, yet it languishes without even a 50% offer.

People love SA DC in nice 7.0 - 9.0 grades at or slightly above guide...they just dont go for those nose bleed numbers and honestly not many people collect them at that level. shy.gif

Is that an educated guess or just your own opinion on the market ?

Id disagree. Take a look at all the recent Heritage auctions to see the prices that high grade Silver DC books are bringing. And when you are talking late 50s early 60s DC books 9.0s are the highest copies for the most part. The reason that Adventure 247 is sitting there without a bid probably has more to do with the disfavorable factors that this book has being from the Mohawk Collection. I know id rather wait for a copy without the significant tanning before shelling out 25K for that book. Not to mention Legion really isnt the " hot " characters currently. I think Tim's Flash #127 CGC 9.0 sold at $3100, which probably is a little bit above guide (almost 18x).

Call me crazy also but I would shell out 200K for that Showcase 4 if I had the cash.

As for AF15 in 9.6 for 500K? I would have said 300K as my outside high price, but, sure, at the right moment to the right buyer I could see 500K.

No way in hell...it's one thing to pay silly money for comics costing a couple thousand. It's another all together to over pay by hundreds of thousand. People with that kind of money can be careless to a point in paying for their desired purchases but most likely they didn't get into that position by being stupid. And paying $500K in the current market for a SA comic, however key it is and with numerous pretty 9.4s to be had, is blatant stupidity... makepoint.gif

Jim

Do honestly think that buyers who decide to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a single book really care if they have to pay an extra $50,000-$100,000 to obtain probably the most sought after silver age book around? They can just call their broker and do a few stocks flips on daily price fluctuations and volia, done deal. That's a tax refund for some. We are not talking about a middle of the road character like the Flash, its probably the most popular super hero going. Personally if I had the coin I'd love to own this copy.

I agree - and it only takes 2 people interested in a book to push it beyond what seems "reasonable" to the other 6 billion inhabitants of our planet. From hanging out in the GA forum where every week there seems to be a new 5-figure book being bought by someone, I have concluded that our hobby is so small (in terms of $$) that it only takes a few collectors with deep pockets to keep prices elevated for anything decent. Look at what JP did during his brief foray into our hobby...

Showcase #4 is extremely difficult to find in high grade. It started the silver age. It contains the first appearance of the most collected S.A. DC character. Have you ever seen what high grade S.A. Flash issues sell for? Do a comparsion between the multiples for a 9.4 early Flash issue and a 9.4 early Spiderman issue. Take a look and then tell me what a Showcase #4 is worth.

S

893applaud-thumb.gif

Action1Kid,

As a rabid Spidey fan, I would, if the money were the same, buy the Action 1 6.5 over the AF15 9.6, no question.

historical significance is historical significance. I'd still be able to find a nice 6.0-9.2 Spidey reasonably.

my point exactly! 893applaud-thumb.gif

gator

Yeah, but by the same token Action 1s are not hard to find either. I don't think it would be difficult to buy a lower grade copy of Action 1.

People love SA DC in nice 7.0 - 9.0 grades at or slightly above guide...they just dont go for those nose bleed numbers and honestly not many people collect them at that level. shy.gif

I would beg to differ.

NM early SA DCs go for multiples that Marvel SA sellers can only dream of. Even in absolute dollar terms they can go for more than their counterpart Marvels, which is a pretty shocking concept. I used an example a year ago or so that a 9.4 Flash 125 (i.e., Flash #20) had a higher market value than a 9.4 copy of the 20th issue of any Marvel title.

This has been a consistent trend over the last 5 or 6 years (if anything it's accelerated recently), illustrating there is a lot of pent-up demand. I've been surprised where some of the HG copies have ended up in recent years, because they haven't always ended up with the "usual suspects."

I would beg to differ.

NM early SA DCs go for multiples that Marvel SA sellers can only dream of. Even in absolute dollar terms they can go for more than their counterpart Marvels, which is a pretty shocking concept. I used an example a year ago or so that a 9.4 Flash 125 (i.e., Flash #20) had a higher market value than a 9.4 copy of the 20th issue of any Marvel title.

This has been a consistent trend over the last 5 or 6 years (if anything it's accelerated recently), illustrating there is a lot of pent-up demand. I've been surprised where some of the HG copies have ended up in recent years, because they haven't always ended up with the "usual suspects."

I get it. Those scarce 50's DC in high grade are dogs. Barely selling for guide. However, as a face saving measure, I would be willing to buy them. Not that I want them. I just want to prop up the market. PM me if you want to unload them. Also, don't really want to buy Showcase #4s, however, as an act of charity, I would consider it.

On a related note, just looked through a copy of Showcase #4. Seems that Wolverine does not make an appearance in the book. Damn.

S