• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fables?

16 posts in this topic

The basic premise is that all the fable characters were driven out of their fable lands by a marauding force. They are now living in the middle of NYC where they have been for centuries. For the fables, time has stood still during their exile in the real world.

The characters are written as the fables we all know and love but with an adult twist. Seeing situations like sex, love, murder, revenge and interpersonal conflict applied to these characters is jarring and entertaining. Prince Charming, for instance, isn't so charming - he just wants to get laid.

Give it a try - I like it at least as much as Y.

Excellent! Thanks doc! You are a classy contributor to this forum.......unlike others we know......... 893applaud-thumb.gif

blush.gif

27_laughing.gif I know who you're thinking about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Doc summed it up pretty well. Definately worth the read. And, IMO, better than Y. The first trade is pretty good, but the story really gets going w/ the second arc, "Animal Farm". Some pretty funny takes on some of the characters, as Dsoc mentioned. Pick it up.

Chris

Bill Willingham is the writer.

He wrote the dreadful, "Proposition Player". But, Fables is top notch!

Chris

I guess to truly appreciate Proposition Player you have to have known people who did exactly what the lead character does in the story...

Three of my best customers at the time it came out had binders full of other people's souls. I had heard them tell stories for months about the different ways they got folks to sign. That story rang truer than I would have ever expected, and we sold the hell out of it when it came out.

It's certainly well-written, I think it's just a YMMV situation...

'House

I guess to truly appreciate Proposition Player you have to have known people who did exactly what the lead character does in the story...

Can't say that I know anybody who has done this. I picked up the trade for 2 reasons:

1. I love Fables, so I thought I'd give this book a shot.

2. I love poker, so I thought I'd give the book a shot.

There were parts that were interesting (I liked the first issue quite a bit), but it really lost steam at the end.

For instance, why didn't Heaven just crush him as the henchman (can't remember his name) suggested? They were obviously keeping close watch on him. Why would they allow him to obtain all the souls w/out any opposition? Why didn't they just open up their own "Sell your Soul" booth? Why the sudden change of heart by the main character (see, can't even remember his name!)? He didn't even like the blonde, yet he did all that for her? Seems like a nice love story, but totally out of character for him.... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Chris