• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how many years does it take a CGC comic to turn to dust?

How many more years will it take for the Wolverine #181 to become brittle and start to crumble?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How many more years will it take for the Wolverine #181 to become brittle and start to crumble?

51 posts in this topic

With all the people paying crazy money for certain CGC comics these days, it makes me wonder how many years it will take for them to turn to dust. After all, they are made of paper, and as we have been told for years, all paper MUST eventually turn to dust, no matter how well protected they are.

For example, assume I slab a Hulk #181 (Wolverine) today in CGC 9.4 with off-white pages. It is already 35 years old, but has held up remarkably well.

How many more years will it take before it turns brittle and starts to crumble?

A manuscript may well last 2000 years if kept in a cool dry place.

Are you inferring that the slab itself might speed up the brittleness?

I am not inferring anything. All I am saying is that at some point in time, the comics will exist no more, no matter how well protected. Maybe that will be more than 1000 years from now? Maybe not?

All I am saying is that at some point in time, the comics will exist no more, no matter how well protected. Maybe that will be more than 1000 years from now? Maybe not?
OK... I agree. None of this stuff should be taken too seriously.

I picked 200 years to where brittleness will be a huge factor no matter what condition the books are in today. By then, if comics are still considered collectibles to a certain degree, conservation methods will become a lot less taboo, and new ways will be developed to keep these books fresh (at least for the upper echelon ones).

I am not inferring anything. All I am saying is that at some point in time, the comics will exist no more, no matter how well protected. Maybe that will be more than 1000 years from now? Maybe not?

Improper use of the word "infer" anyway... Mica, YOU infer; dekeuk, YOU imply...or don't imply, as the case may be smile.gif

I suppose the Dead Sea Scrolls lasted 2000 years. But they probably never had acid as one of the ingredients in the paper. Comic paper has acid in it, so the comic will eventually eat inself.

Comics were not manufactured to last, they were basically made as cheaply as possible. Now we desperately try to preserve them.

For example, assume I slab a Wolverine #181 today in CGC 9.4 with off-white pages.

Please post a scan of this Wolverine #181 of which you speak... poke2.gif

Ooops... typed too fast. Obviously I refer to a Hulk #181 (first Wolverine). Christo_pull_hair.gif

For example, assume I slab a Wolverine #181 today in CGC 9.4 with off-white pages.

27_laughing.gif

Ooops... typed too fast. Obviously I refer to a Hulk #181 (first Wolverine). Christo_pull_hair.gif

27_laughing.gif

Improper use of the word "infer" anyway... Mica, YOU infer; dekeuk, YOU imply...or don't imply, as the case may be smile.gif

You must be a hoot to have at parties.

You must be a hoot to have at parties.

What are you implying here? wink.gif

I'm a semi-retired heavy partier... I try to keep the grammatical corrections to a minimum in such settings...and besides, it's tough to get your point across through a lampshade...

So I did it right and he did it wrong? confused.gif

What are you implying?

The dead sea scrolls were 1000 years old and held up pretty well in jars out in a cave. I think the question has more to do with how the book is keep and less to do with the case itself.

The dead sea scrolls aren't made of ligneous groundwood pulp with alum rosin sizing. There's a big difference between the dead sea scrolls and a comic book printed on newsprint.