• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about the Superman TV Show

10 posts in this topic

Any idea why at the end of the show they say BASED ON THE ....APPEARING IN ACTION COMICS AND SUPERMAN MAGAZINE?instead of superman comics?

The original two-part show- what was the original name? Caught it on TVland and they seemed to have changed the title.

Anyone catch those Elton John style circular glasses Clark wears in the two=parter?

I believe the first two parter was the original one hour pilot titled "Superman vs. the Mole Men"...not 100% sure though.

J.D.

On TVland it was called Superman and the Unknown People,

I thought this was a case of PC run amok but accordingto the website Mr Nice sent me to, this was done long ago when the show was first televised.

Don't know, except maybe comics were considered bad influences at the time? Wasn't that show pre-Code and post-SOTI?

The show was both. It first aired in 1952, in the midst of pre-code and before SOTI, and ended in 1957, post-code and post SOTI.

I'm pretty sure they were called comic magazines at least through the start

of the Silver Age... my Marvel Masterworks for ASM #1 - #10 mention

"magazine" in reference to ASM and FF. When you really think about it,

comics have more in common with magazines than books...

Sold with magazines at newsstands, floppy covers, fewer pages, center staples...

An link showing "The Superman Magazine" from 1930!

The Superman Magazine

Very cool....not that much of a stretch to imagine Siegel reading that "magazine" when he was, what, 12 or 14, then swiping the nick for his comic book hero...

*I believe the name of the first Supes two-parter was "Superman vs. the Mole People." It's been awhile since I last watched it, but I'm fairly confident that was the original title.