• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's talk Kingdom Come Art

12 posts in this topic

So seeing the two pages just sell on Heritage got me thinking about KC art again -- there are only about 30 pieces on CAF out of something like 180 - 200 pieces in the book including major painted promotional work and covers. I know a lot of these were sold through gallery shows so there's an uncommon ratio of pages in the hands of gallery art collectors (not sure I want to say fine art collectors here cause there's still a big difference, but yeah, AR's fanbase cuts across somewhat).

As we've discussed on here before, prices have come back down to earth to some extent, depending on content. I've seen pages reach all of $500 (the Gotham intro page) and got one of mine for a steal. (and overpaid for the other before I knew better so it all averages out- heh) Deducting the juice and the sellers fee from these last two pages, the seller got a little over $2K and $3K respectively for the pages.

Yet because of these prices, I speculate that you don't see a lot of pages coming to market -- people have too much into them to take the loss, right? Especially if they changed hands when Ross was hotter and had less work out there.

Question #1 - Anyone remember what the pages were selling for during the gallery shows and when they were first coming to market?

Question #2 - Anyone have any art to show off? smile.gif

I don't have any but as you know I'd like a page. Unfortunately somehow he sells his pages for 10k and then they never get resold because nobody is willing to pay those exhorbitant prices. However someone initially bought them from him so I don't understand. confused-smiley-013.gif

It makes sense that almost every piece sold back in the day. After the series came out, he, and it, were red hot and there wasn't a lot of choice Ross art on the market. It's what happened since that sent his market prices down.

And BTW, I think his market is only sharply down for mid and low grade pieces. As with anything, I think the very best stuff has, for the most part, held it's value. (Though I say this not knowing what the pages sold for back in the day -- maybe the best stuff has actually gone up??)

It does seem that an artist's best pieces never ever slip downward. I'm talking, of course, about the dream pages with major characters in important scenes or shown in a dynamic (splashy/cover) image.

I'm not a huge Alex Ross fan. Still, it's not like I scratch my head, wondering why people want a Ross original. I feel Ross is talented and deserves his kudos. When a Ross cover sells for alot of money, I just nod my head. It's not like, say, Michael Turner's work -- especially now, when the prices for Turner's OA seem to be skying ever higher.

(Michael Turner...great last name, by the way...just seems like Rob Liefeld-lite to me. And I think his image of Powergirl with freaky, enormous breasts is gonna haunt him just like Liefeld's Cap'n America with freaky, enormous breasts. But I'm getting off the subject here.)

Since there are so many collectors that do love Ross and his work, why exactly have market prices slipped? Is it because other artists are aping his style? Is it because he's working on less popular books? Or is there THAT much more original Ross artwork out there?

Since there are so many collectors that do love Ross and his work, why exactly have market prices slipped? Is it because other artists are aping his style? Is it because he's working on less popular books? Or is there THAT much more original Ross artwork out there?

Idda know. It seems like a combination of factors. A.) There is a lot more out there. B.) Despite his popularity it's still basically 1 group of people that have an appetite for his work at those prices. If those folks get their fill, who will buy mid and lower grade stuff?

(BTW, I'm saying mid and low grade in regards to his painted work, contentwise. You'll notice his sketches and prelims still do pretty well at a different price point. Seems like there's a different market for that for those who feel like they can't obtain something pricier.)

C.) It's not so much market prices slipping, but the perception that they are because to buy from him costs multiples more. When those same pieces come to market, people are simply saying "I don't think the piece is worth more than X" with X staying pretty constant over the years.

Incidentally, I know I'm railing on his prices pretty bad, but let me be clear that he's an incredible talent and he has every right to charge what he wants and handle his business affairs as he chooses, and that Sal is always helpful when contacting him for a price or making a purchase. I'm just discussing this from the perspective of a buyer in the market. I would probably have purchased an additional 15K in art from Ross if his prices were 40% of what they are currently, BUT he can make the same money by selling less product for high prices, so more power to him. I do understand where he's coming from.

Yeah, it's an interesting topic. I'm small time, so Ross is a bit out of my league based on the prices I see at his site. I can't even get a weak page from Justice. Depressing actually. I think your'e right though Jesusjon..the best of an artist will always maintain or increase it's value whereas if there is a slight down turn of popularity of an artists work, it only effects the "common" pages. With Ross though..his prices are so high to begin with that the resell market is small and I think that'll help maintain that value even for the "common" stuff.

(Michael Turner...great last name, by the way...just seems like Rob Liefeld-lite to me. And I think his image of Powergirl with freaky, enormous breasts is gonna haunt him just like Liefeld's Cap'n America with freaky, enormous breasts. But I'm getting off the subject here.)

I follow micheal turner and try to get a piece once in a while. I am unfamiluar with the power girl piece. I you sure you are talking about micheal turner and not adam hughes as he draws power girl alot.

I follow micheal turner and try to get a piece once in a while. I am unfamiluar with the power girl piece. I you sure you are talking about micheal turner and not adam hughes as he draws power girl alot.

Its this one I think

JLA10Turnerteaser_t.jpg

Larger Pic here

http://www.newsarama.com/DC/June07/JLA10Turnerteaser.jpg

Isn' the rope from her cape suppose to under her arm?

Anyways..cover to KC #4. Good grief..I can only imagine. A very iconic image from the series. Maybe the MOST iconic.

BTW Metro. That Marvel's piece you've got is easily the greatest image from that whole series. I'd kill to see that in person.

Yep, Ares nailed it. There are times when an artist just seems to step over the boundaries of...well, "reality" as it's shown in the comic book market.

Turner's Power Girl is just freaky. And if the OA for that piece ever came to market?

I think it would sell for a gahzillion dollars.

re Question #1 - Anyone remember what the pages were selling for during the gallery shows and when they were first coming to market?

I bought five pages from the New York gallery selling artwork on behalf of alex ross; they were located somewhere just south of tribeca if I recall correctly. The gallery consisted almost exclusively of KC originals hanging on the walls and a few key Marvels pages which were not hung.

I was the only customer in the gallery during the hour I was there;

I bought

KC 2 p 17 (75)

KC 3 p 18 (128)

KC 4 p 9 (167)

for 2,100.00 in total

also

KC 3 p 40 for 1,100.00

KC 1 p 20 for 800.00

on a second visit

Sold them all some years later for what averaged out at about 1,400.00 each

Ho hum