• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harbinger

64 posts in this topic

I'm not aware of a production problem. Many copies seem to have a spine split. It is one of the tougher pre-Unity Valiant issues to get in 9.8 when you compare the ratio of graded copies to 9.8s. And there are a number of competitive Valiant collectors who do not have this key in 9.8.

That all being said, $1K is a new all-time GPA high for this issue. This is an example of what seems to be an uptick of interest in Valiant comics that has been going on for many months and is starting to get a bit more public.

I think 9.6s are more in the $80-90 range but still 12x 9.6 for a 9.8 is a very steep premium.

All of my raw copies are headed to CGC thumbsup2.gif

quick question. i've noticed a few valiant posts in the copper forum. shouldn't they go in the modern forum? if not, when does the copper age end? and anyone paying 1,000+ plus for any valiant (other than maybe that x-o manowar issue that has only 10 known copies) is a fool. 9.8 or not

These books are now 15 years old. I've never slabbed a Harbinger #1 9.8 and they're not even in my stash in quantity like some of the others. (Although I DO have quantities of Harbinger #2)

Recorded GPA Harbinger #1 9.8 sales:

2002: $202.50

2004: $969.60

2005: $750.00, $725.00, $650.00

2006: $766.50

9.6's don't sell for $20. They average $80 across all sales. $82 for the last 90 days.

quick question. i've noticed a few valiant posts in the copper forum. shouldn't they go in the modern forum? if not, when does the copper age end? and anyone paying 1,000+ plus for any valiant (other than maybe that x-o manowar issue that has only 10 known copies) is a fool. 9.8 or not

i'm guessing 1992 would be copper, sorry if i peed in your cornflakes.

Very interesting... time to go to storage and look through those 6+ longs of Valiant "*spoon*" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I remember buying a TON of this stuff back in the day. As I have purchased a few collections over the last couple of years, I KNOW I have a couple of tons more! It'll be interesting to see what I do have popcorn.gif

Time to re-visut the Valiant forum site as well I guess!

John makepoint.gif

I have a Valiant file copy of Harbinger 0 (sent to me as a gift, since my retailer at the time cut the coupons out of Harbinger 1-6 and sold them WITHOUT the coupons, meaning I had no chance of getting a Harbinger 0) that appears to be 10.0. I've got several near-perfect Valiants from a collection of cherry-picked comics that I've been recently sending to CGC to have graded.

Time to send a batch of Valiants!

Mike B.

I have a Valiant file copy of Harbinger 0 (sent to me as a gift, since my retailer at the time cut the coupons out of Harbinger 1-6 and sold them WITHOUT the coupons, meaning I had no chance of getting a Harbinger 0) that appears to be 10.0. I've got several near-perfect Valiants from a collection of cherry-picked comics that I've been recently sending to CGC to have graded.

Time to send a batch of Valiants!

Mike B.

Out of 272 slabbed Harbinger 0 Pink Variants, 216 are 9.6 or higher. 106 are 9.8. That's a pretty high percentage which indicates that a lot of the submitted Pink Variants are already extremely high grade.

If you DO have a 9.9 or 10.0 though, you'd be the first. (I'd look closer really... but in either case, it's worth slabbing if you think it's 9.8 or higher.)

Didn't these books (at least Harbinger #1) have 3 staples. I guess the extra was to hold the coupon? I've seen a few #1's with a pulled middle staple, unless I'm thinking of something completely different

You are correct. I've submitted a bunch of these and pulled almost all 9.6s. The spines are insanely difficult. Splits, massive chips, stress and staple tears are all common on this book. It also came out before Valiant took off and most of the books were bought and read, rather than bought and bagged. I've probably owned 30 copies of this book in the last 3 years and have not scored a 9.8.

Add the above to the fact that a bunch had the coupon cut out and you have a really tough book to find in 9.8.

gossip.gifI believe it's the Bloodshot 0 Platinum issue to which you are referring flowerred.gif

A CGC 9.8 Harbinger 1 is (to a Valiant fan) easily as important or

more important than a CGC 9.8 of Amazing Spider-man #300.

(After all, a Spider-man fan has tons of more valuable books to choose from,

but few Valiant books are anywhere near as important/valuable as Harbinger 1.)

The prices will probably remain very similar on the two books

as long as there are very few CGC 9.8s for Harbinger 1 on the census.

Very interesting... time to go to storage and look through those 6+ longs of Valiant "*spoon*"

---------------------------------

Harbinger 1 was never a dollar box book, even at the nadir of the Valiant implosion. Harbinger 25, on the other hand, copies of that fill up entire landfills. I believe they built a city in China out of copies of Turok 1.

Believe me, I was looking. If it was, I would have bought every copy of Harbinger 1 I saw along with every #1 of the other early Valiant titles (Solar and, to a lesser extent, Magnus... X-O was a bit later, no? If not, that too.). I believe my LCS let me buy a stack of Magnus 1s for cover price after the implosion though.

I did pluck a copy of the tpb with the comic that came along with it out of a dollar box though. Weren't those like $20-$50 at the height of the insanity? I remember being at a show in 1993 and someone being ecstatic over a dealer having them for $20. Little did he know that the dealer was probably trying to dump them as fast as he could.

I always enjoy buying books for not much after they've taken a nose dive. Hence my large inventory of BA appearances of Deathlok, Morbius, Son of Satan and Guardians of the Galaxy! I was able to capitalize on Ghost Rider, however, when those took off.

I did pluck a copy of the tpb with the comic that came along with it out of a dollar box though. Weren't those like $20-$50 at the height of the insanity? I remember being at a show in 1993 and someone being ecstatic over a dealer having them for $20. Little did he know that the dealer was probably trying to dump them as fast as he could.

I could be mixing up what you're talking about - but if you're speaking of the Harbinger TPB Children of the Eighth Day it came with the second print of Harbinger#0 the value of which (now) is nil. Now, the first version of Harbinger#0 (commonly referred to as Harbinger Pink) is consistently a $125+ book in 9.8 and the 9.6 is a solid $50 which isn't to shabby for a book in that era. acclaim.gif

A CGC 9.8 Harbinger 1 is (to a Valiant fan) easily as important or

more important than a CGC 9.8 of Amazing Spider-man #300..

I completely agree with that. cloud9.gif

this wasn't the pink, it's the one not worth anything, but back in the day I think even what I plucked out was worth something. the guy selling them for $20 had them in quantity, so it wasn't the pink.

this wasn't the pink, it's the one not worth anything, but back in the day I think even what I plucked out was worth something. the guy selling them for $20 had them in quantity, so it wasn't the pink.

A $20 Harbinger TPB back in the day?

It was probably the more limited "Blue Bird" variant of the trade paperback.

Originally priced at $9.95, a $20 price tag wasn't completely unreasonable.

I could see those as potentially "hot" for a brief period of time in 1994.

You can see it here:

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/variants.asp

Left column = variant

Right column = regular