• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonah Hex #19--did it make any sense?

17 posts in this topic

The book probably should have been a two-parter, with more of the story filled out. The writer wrote a sloppy -script and the editor didn't do his job.

Spoiler alert!!!

I also had problems with the ending. If Jonah was offered money to bring the woman in, he would have done that instead of leaving her in the cave. Very out of character for him.

I don't think they were kidnapped. The boys were prospecting mines and whoring in Kansas. Remember Hex thought the rich man's story was fishy...

I do agree with you that this issue is far from the best in this series. Let's hope there are no more issues like this down the road 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It had some nice Hexian moments and I guess it's supposed to build into a world of trouble for Hex next issue. But if the father's story is bogus, why does Hex claim that he kidnapped the sons? And if Hex did kidnap the sons, what's he doing riding into town in the first place?

Parallel story lines with time jumps and exposition to fill in the details. Could it have been done better - yes, but I didn't find it confusing. I like the idea of two unrelated stories told in tandem, but this probably should have been told over two issues so as to not seem so jumpy. As for leaving the woman in the cave - the rational is that Hex has just been paid for another job and is amused by the twisted justice of both situations. What does Hex need all that bounty money for anyway? It's not like he's spending it on clothes or anything.

Parallel story lines with time jumps and exposition to fill in the details. Could it have been done better - yes, but I didn't find it confusing. I like the idea of two unrelated stories told in tandem, but this probably should have been told over two issues so as to not seem so jumpy. As for leaving the woman in the cave - the rational is that Hex has just been paid for another job and is amused by the twisted justice of both situations. What does Hex need all that bounty money for anyway? It's not like he's spending it on clothes or anything.

Finally read the issue last night and like rjpb it did make sense ... except I have to agree with HoC: if, as suggested, JH took the nephews from Texas because they were wanted in Kansas (and already collected a bounty for them up there), how in hell was he back in Texas in 3 days!?! I liked the idea that he double-dipped for the nephews: 1) for delivering them to the Kansas justice and 2) for bringing them back to Texas. Also, his leaving the girl to die alone in the cave was not out of character, JH is never motivated by $$$ but by justice. The money is an added bonus but is rarely the motivation. I know he is always shown insisting on being paid but that's only in cases where the cause is unjust. For example in this story, he insisted on being paid to find the nephews because he knew these weren't innocent choir boys. The story almost worked but for that time-constraint mistake.

#20 came out last week and didn't seem to "fix" #19. I guess it solidified that JH was the kidnapper, but the timeline makes no sense and those boys would've gotten word back to their father if they were being tried, etc.

I don't have a problem with non-linear storytelling but this two-issue arc just didn't cut it.

#20 came out last week and didn't seem to "fix" #19. I guess it solidified that JH was the kidnapper, but the timeline makes no sense and those boys would've gotten word back to their father if they were being tried, etc.

I don't have a problem with non-linear storytelling but this two-issue arc just didn't cut it.

Especially as the second part was more leisurely in it's telling until it has an abrupt jump from hiring the prostitute to blowing up the saloon. It's too bad Hex's revenge was so complete, as the partner who spared Hex's life after being hired to kill him could have been an interesting recurring character. Of course it is the world of comics - where no

one has to stay dead.

I'll keep reading this title, but the best Hex stories are still the ones written by Joe R. Landsdale 15 -20 years ago.