• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detached Cover...Grade deduction? Re-attach cover?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all! I just picked up a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 49 really cheap- $5 even. The defect that is getting me is that the cover is completely detached from the comic, and the first three pages are detached from the top staple (though still nice and secure at the bottom). This comic probably would have graded somewhere between 4.5 and a 5.0 had it not been for this defect.

Two questions: 1. How much does this affect the grade of the comic and 2. would it cause more damage to simply re-attach the cover with two small droplets of glue?

Just looking for some feedback. Thanks!

Two questions: 1. How much does this affect the grade of the comic and 2. would it cause more damage to simply re-attach the cover with two small droplets of glue?

1. 3.0

2. Yes, absolutely silly thing to even consider. sumo.gif

No, I'd be a *spoon* for trying to grade it at a 6.0- it's definitely a 4.5 - 5.0 tops (not including the cover).

I took the advice of a couple board members, and grabbed up a copy of the OS Guide. It's not perfect, but it does have some good guidelines in there. The HIGHEST grade they list for a comic with one staple detached is VG- (3.5). You can actually have a fully detached cover at GD+ (2.5) where it is detached at the staples. My guess, howver, is that since there are other defects keeping it from high grade in conjunction with the detached cover, I'd probably put it on the lower end of Good (1.5-2.0).

And Rob, in response to a remark from another related thread- I totally agree. I like all the discussion on low grade stuff. It's really informative for those of us who can't snag the white whales just yet. laugh.gif

Check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Cover is detached from the bottom staple, as is the first 2 wraps. Still getting more than GPA 9.0. Don't overestimate the grade-drop for a detached staple. What would the blue label grade be on a popped staple? And I can bet the price would be much lower than this Q 9.4.

Check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Cover is detached from the bottom staple, as is the first 2 wraps. Still getting more than GPA 9.0. Don't overestimate the grade-drop for a detached staple. What would the blue label grade be on a popped staple? And I can bet the price would be much lower than this Q 9.4.

Prices realized at auction vary considerably. grin.gif

I just picked up a great, ultra-low-grade silver age key in an 'alternative slab' (you know, not CGC) graded 1.0. It was cheap and low-grade which is all I care/d about, so I'm very happy with it.

I was a little surprised though to notice that the front and back covers are completely detached from the book and from each other! :o

I'm pretty sure that such a book would be unslabbable by CGC. Am I right? Seems the inner well used by this other company pinches the whole mess tightly together which holds the covers in place.

I wouldn't bother getting it reslabbed anyway, since I don't see much point in slabbing ultra-low-grades. More fun to read them!

Further to my previous post...

I reckon I'll remove it from the PGX slab and just keep it raw. Bearing in mind this comic will never grade higher than 1.0, is there a preferred method for reattaching the front and back cover?

Is tape on the inside the best way to go?

Is there a particular kind of tape that is preferred?

If I ever did get it CGC'd (perhaps for display purposes) would tape result in a purple label?

Any suggestions?