• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible group of CGC Gold, Silver, Bronze listed - Many more to come

47 posts in this topic

I really like the Detective 107. Note the writing on the cover. 2 DUPES CL. This matches this copy of 109. Wonder if there was a nice find at some point that never got noted?

It's a code short for 3 copies of this issue in total ( thus two duplicates -2 DUPES) so dump the lower of the two on Comic Link (CL). I code all my high grade duplicates that way - doesn't everyone?

poke2.gif

Mark, do you know the whereabouts of the PC MGA 80?

By the way, I agree with your post! thumbsup2.gif

Tim I wish I did. It was missing from the run when I purchaced it. My big dumb move was selling the 9.8 Doom Patrol #86 (We dealers always need cash flow it seems). When I sold that issue I just did not know how rare it would end up becoming. The Census was new and I just fugured there must be other high grades coming out of the closet - I was very wrong.

But the PC copy will eventually turn up. By the way, are you certain it was the PC that rated the 9.6 grade?

I must say that the Doom Patrol series is one DC's most underrated series. The DP was DC's attempt to jump on the Fantastic Four bandwagon. Character's bickering with each other threatening to breakup.

This series is very rare in high-grade -- in particular the MGA issues. I was fortunate enough about to grab the entire MASS pedigree run of these books about 10 years ago -- the brightest gem in my collection.

Ah Ha! NOW I KNOW WHERE THAT GREAT RUN WENT TO! smile.gif

Very smart move and it was at the perfect time.

Curiously, what issues do you have? Was it a complete run (including the tough MGA series)?

And are they raw or graded?

I must say that the Doom Patrol series is one DC's most underrated series. The DP was DC's attempt to jump on the Fantastic Four bandwagon. Character's bickering with each other threatening to breakup.

This series is very rare in high-grade -- in particular the MGA issues. I was fortunate enough about to grab the entire MASS pedigree run of these books about 10 years ago -- the brightest gem in my collection.

Ah Ha! NOW I KNOW WHERE THAT GREAT RUN WENT TO! smile.gif

Very smart move and it was at the perfect time.

Curiously, what issues do you have? Was it a complete run (including the tough MGA series)?

And are they raw or graded?

Shhh! Dont tell anyone! gossip.gif All appearances of the DP (My Greatest Adventures and the entire DP series). I got them in the mid-90s and they are free of any encapsulated confines!

I really like the Detective 107. Note the writing on the cover. 2 DUPES CL. This matches this copy of 109. Wonder if there was a nice find at some point that never got noted?

Link to Det 109

I have a Detective 100 CGC 7.0 that has the 2 DUPES CL on the cover. Surprising there are others with the same annotation. Sorry I don't have a scan.

And still over 100k was paid for an X-men #1 even though two copies rated higher.

not exactly so. The 9.6 became the second 9.8 via a resub.

and oh no you di-int compare MGA80 to XMen#1...???

Doom Patrol movie?? was you being serious?

Im truly pessimistic about the future values of Doom Patrol. Sorry guys. Ya know, I love the Charlton superheroes (Peacemaker!, Judomaster!!) but I sure dont expect anyone else to care. And Ill bet teh census on those issues is anemic compare to 3 9.5s and a few pedigree runs in 9.4+.

So while I am sure the demand for DP is far far greater for DP than for those losers, IMO in the grand scheme of things? I think its just YOU guys who' pat yeal $$$ for Doom Patrol copies!

I don't think even fairly respectable DP movie would ever push MGA #80 anywhere near to the value of an X-Men #1....

But as far as comparing MGA 80 and XM 1...IMHO, I would rate the MGA 80 as the better of the two origin stories. Its just something about those early DP adventures that makes the group endearing.

And, sure, the later issues did get a bit "DC checkerboard" goofy, but the series ends on a unique note (and I don't know if its the first time this was done) with the series concluding with the death of the entire DP (yeah, I know most of them came back -- but it wasnt until years later).

Mark, do you know the whereabouts of the PC MGA 80?

By the way, I agree with your post! thumbsup2.gif

Tim I wish I did. It was missing from the run when I purchaced it. My big dumb move was selling the 9.8 Doom Patrol #86 (We dealers always need cash flow it seems). When I sold that issue I just did not know how rare it would end up becoming. The Census was new and I just fugured there must be other high grades coming out of the closet - I was very wrong.

But the PC copy will eventually turn up. By the way, are you certain it was the PC that rated the 9.6 grade?

Hi Mark, yeah, I remember when Roter sold it on eBay. I think that's the reason it wasn't in the PC MGA run that you bought. When Roter listed it, I think a lot of people were blown away that such a high grade copy of such a tough book existed. The bidding was quite spirited if I recall. Which is why I was even more shocked when I saw the Western Penn and Curator copies grading out as 9.6s. Now all we need is for the Mass, Northland and WM copies to grade out as a 9.6 and MGA 80 will have done the SA Pedigree Sextuple!

nothing personal guys. I just aint buying the DP lovefest.... as Marlene Dietrich said to Orson Welles" "(It's) future is all used up."

Geez. You rained on the Adventure 247 parade and now you're raining on the MGA 80 parade. We're going to have to start calling you Little Miss Mary Sunshine pretty soon. poke2.gif

nothing personal guys. I just aint buying the DP lovefest.... as Marlene Dietrich said to Orson Welles" "(It's) future is all used up."

i concur wholeheartedly and unreservedly. these books are nothing but poop, and no one should ever bid on them, consider bidding on them, or even do a quick fund availability calculation when they come up in auction

Geez. You rained on the Adventure 247 parade and now you're raining on the MGA 80 parade. We're going to have to start calling you Little Miss Mary Sunshine pretty soon. poke2.gif

aint I a stinker?

who said that? ?I cant remember... Abbot or Costello??

aint I a stinker?

who said that? ?I cant remember... Abbot or Costello??

Bugs Bunny

that is a custom title bequest if i have ever heard one 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hello,

Havn't posted in decades but I own the PC MGA #80. In my humble opinion superior to the Western Penn and Curator copies! Thought it was 9.8 when I received it but 9.6 isn't bad. Always liked MGA #80 and think it is one of the most evocative covers of the Silver Age!

Hello,

Havn't posted in decades but I own the PC MGA #80. In my humble opinion superior to the Western Penn and Curator copies! Thought it was 9.8 when I received it but 9.6 isn't bad. Always liked MGA #80 and think it is one of the most evocative covers of the Silver Age!

That's all well and good.. but I'm sure it dosent compare to my MASS MGA #80. smirk.gif

Maybe I should send it over to be slabbed... nahh!

Hello,

hail.gif

Were you the person who won it on eBay directly from Roter? That was a great auction, with very frenzied bidding at the end if I recall.

That's all well and good.. but I'm sure it dosent compare to my MASS MGA #80. smirk.gif

Maybe I should send it over to be slabbed... nahh!

In all seriousness, how would you grade your Mass copy?