• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Golden Age ad from the 1970's

27 posts in this topic

This is an ad I kept from 1976. I have no idea if this was a legitimate sale of books or a fraud, but the ad was actually run in one of the major publications. I have covered up the person's name and address, but some of you might remember this sale. If this was legit...wow! ad3.jpg

You wold think, that even back then, Metropolis could have afforded a typewriter!

Nah, I don't think it was Fishler since he would have still been in grade school at the time. gossip.gif

Fishler was too busy flipping books to his elementary school teachers at the time to be concerned with placing an ad in the papers. Believed he had already had all of the keys passed through his hands by the time he was 12 years old. 893whatthe.gifthumbsup2.gif

No, it wasn't Th. H or anyone well known. This seller was from NY state, but I don't recall ever seeing another ad, or hear anyone even mention this person's name. It is possible the books were being sold for a third party.

Why are you even blotting out the names and addresses? Wasn't this publicly published already? It's not like the seller was trying to keep his name or contact details a secret. confused-smiley-013.gif

I recall when Marvel Comics #1 hit $10,000 in the 1975 or 1976 Overstreet...under "Mint" grading.

I'm going to go on record here and say that in 1976 guide the price of Marvel #1 was nowhere near $10,000.

In fact it was exactly half of that - $5,000

And Action #1 was $4200, Detective #27 was $3500.

Agreed, and that's certainly consistent with my memories of the prices of the "big books" back in the mid-70s. Also, even though MC #1 was more popular and valuable than Action #1 for a period of time, I don't recall it ever being twice as valuable, or any dealer charging twice as much for it as Action #1.

So when did a comic first break the $10K mark in Overstreet?

What's funny is to read old RBCC's from this time period and see articles complaining that Overstreet was too high, that nobody was paying those fantasy prices on Golden Age keys at shows and that he had increased the prices too fast in the guide. My, how times change, eh?

So true, so true. You can also go back to any period in time and hear people lamenting that they should have bought this book or that book a few years earlier.

Believed he had already had all of the keys passed through his hands by the time he was 12 years old.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the same coin a 13 yr old boy (who today has a long hobby heritage) bilked investors of a $100k in a postal fraud scheme.

These old ads are great, but my memory keeps slipping back to my annual trek to Gary Carter's house. Huge stacks of incredible books would be deposited on the table in front of me - "Just let me know which ones you want, Steve" 893whatthe.gif

STEVE

Believed he had already had all of the keys passed through his hands by the time he was 12 years old.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the same coin a 13 yr old boy (who today has a long hobby heritage) bilked investors of a $100k in a postal fraud scheme.

These old ads are great, but my memory keeps slipping back to my annual trek to Gary Carter's house. Huge stacks of incredible books would be deposited on the table in front of me - "Just let me know which ones you want, Steve" 893whatthe.gif

STEVE

all of them, please smile.gif

STEVE, can you enlighten me on the 13 year old bilker?...I don't think I am familiar with the story

thanks

gator

STEVE

STEVE, can you enlighten me on the 13 year old bilker?...I don't think I am familiar with the story

thanks

gator

gossip.gif

LINK

STEVE

thanks

gator

gossip.gif

LINK

wow, interesting read..

thanks

gator