• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Golden Age ad from the 1970's

27 posts in this topic

This is an ad I kept from 1976. I have no idea if this was a legitimate sale of books or a fraud, but the ad was actually run in one of the major publications. I have covered up the person's name and address, but some of you might remember this sale. If this was legit...wow! ad3.jpg

A nice listing of books. I like the 10 copies of WDC&S #1 almost as much as the superhero ones.

It's fun to see the old grading scale...

Action #1 - Near Mint - 1/4" corner missing. 27_laughing.gif

Maybe this is where CGC gets its' GA Bump. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(a bump that I believe is deserving for 40+ year-old books).

This is an ad I kept from 1976. I have no idea if this was a legitimate sale of books or a fraud, but the ad was actually run in one of the major publications. I have covered up the person's name and address, but some of you might remember this sale. If this was legit...wow! ad3.jpg

I remember someone from Italy running an ad similar to that.

I assumed it was a fake.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't these prices seem to be a shade on the high side for the mid 70's.

The price list certainly does reflect how Marvel Comics #1 was the dominant book back in the 70's. The list also confirms that the super-hero books were not the be all and end all that they are in today's market.

Interesting to note how collecting preferences change over time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I remember someone from Italy running an ad similar to that.

Yeah, but this ad is from Tennessee (Kingsport)

I thought that at first too, but then I came to the conclusion that the 37665 zip is for the ad underneath the Golden Age ad.

I thought that at first too, but then I came to the conclusion that the 37665 zip is for the ad underneath the Golden Age ad.

foreheadslap.gif

yep - and it's quite obvious now that i look at it.

I thought Theo Holstein also when I first saw it, but the writing doesn't quite look like his.

You wold think, that even back then, Metropolis could have afforded a typewriter!

foreheadslap.gif

yep - and it's quite obvious now that i look at it.

I thought Theo Holstein also when I first saw it, but the writing doesn't quite look like his.

Plus there's no spandex thongs or mention of Tough Kid Squad.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't these prices seem to be a shade on the high side for the mid 70's.

The price list certainly does reflect how Marvel Comics #1 was the dominant book back in the 70's...

I recall when Marvel Comics #1 hit $10,000 in the 1975 or 1976 Overstreet...under "Mint" grading. So, his minimum bids were consistent with OPG. gossip.gif

I also lived in rural TN at the time and $10,000 could still buy you a small home on a couple of acres!

GE

I recall when Marvel Comics #1 hit $10,000 in the 1975 or 1976 Overstreet...under "Mint" grading.

I'm going to go on record here and say that in 1976 guide the price of Marvel #1 was nowhere near $10,000.

In fact it was exactly half of that - $5,000

And Action #1 was $4200, Detective #27 was $3500.

What's funny is to read old RBCC's from this time period and see articles complaining that Overstreet was too high, that nobody was paying those fantasy prices on Golden Age keys at shows and that he had increased the prices too fast in the guide. My, how times change, eh? It was when Snyder got involved shortly after this that prices really boomed and the guide ended up being well behind the market on these books.

No, it wasn't Th. H or anyone well known. This seller was from NY state, but I don't recall ever seeing another ad, or hear anyone even mention this person's name. It is possible the books were being sold for a third party.