• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drop in Spiderman 300 price question.

61 posts in this topic

I guess its more of a thought and a question. I understand the huge increase on Spidey 300 and Secret War #8 in anticipation of the movie but I don't really understand the large drop in prices considering the movie is doing well and is a "must-see" film for people outside the comic collection hobby. I also thought these peticular comics were going fro crazy cash since people thought the movie would do well (which happened) and people would be clammering for Venom comics similar to the Death of Superman craze.

Could we then assume by the price drop that people outside the hobby are not clammering for the spidey issues and the people who purchased in order to flip are having to dump their issues. If this is a common trend lately - does this cycle make since at all. The only people making big money are the pre-speculators that bought low (or I guess the collectors who had the comic for years) who sell to the speculators who now can't flip them to anyone. Kind of sounds like a pyramid scheme with the person holding the comic when the movie opens being the loser.

Anyone explain this to me considering non-comic people just don't appear to be willing to pay crazy money for comics. Is the hope for a craze to happen over-riding peoples judgement?

150 million opening weekend is sucking? The theater was about 1/4 full at a 3:30 showing yesterday which is pretty good for a Wednesday during the day.

The only people making big money are the pre-speculators that bought low (or I guess the collectors who had the comic for years) who sell to the speculators who now can't flip them to anyone. Kind of sounds like a pyramid scheme with the person holding the comic when the movie opens being the loser.

You got it! thumbsup2.gif

BTW, I sold a PGX 10.0 Secret Wars 8 (Double Cover) for $1,799 on ebay back in February (which was the time to sell...still months before the movie). I picked that book up off of ebay for $450 just a few weeks earlier.

Sometimes, its just knowing when to buy, when to sell, for how much, and having a little luck on your side that the right...um....investor will come along to pay your price.

150 million opening weekend is sucking? The theater was about 1/4 full at a 3:30 showing yesterday which is pretty good for a Wednesday during the day.

There is a difference in a movie making large sums of money and being a good film. Titanic made huge piles of cash, but I'd rather pour acid in my eyes than watch that trash again. The same can be said about the Star Wars prequels. They made lots of money too, but tarnish the original trilogy.

How great a movie whould it have to be for people to be willing to continue to drive up the price on these books? The general public knows about Spidey and the majority of people just don't care enough to own a CGC 9.8 comic. I just can't see people running out to the LCS asking about Venom issues no matter how good the movie is.

I do see some potential for the Silver Surfer issues since most people don't have a clue about him and he may become a "iconic" figure for kids and adults.

Everyone that watched ASM 2 bought a ticket for 3 based on the fact that 2 was good.

150 million = successful thumbsup2.gif

successful = good ? 893naughty-thumb.gif

ASM 300 price drop = reality not measuring up to hype

Could we then assume by the price drop that people outside the hobby are not clammering for the spidey issues and the people who purchased in order to flip are having to dump their issues. If this is a common trend lately - does this cycle make since at all. The only people making big money are the pre-speculators that bought low (or I guess the collectors who had the comic for years) who sell to the speculators who now can't flip them to anyone. Kind of sounds like a pyramid scheme with the person holding the comic when the movie opens being the loser.

Exactly. The people who bought these books in anticipation of the movie were probably:

Speculators, flippers, short-term "investors" - 90%

Real collectors buying out of the fear that speculators would drive the price up too high - 9%

The outside public - 1%

Obviously, when the music stops, there's not going to be enough chairs to go around and prices are going to fall. tonofbricks.gif

BTW, I sold a PGX 10.0 Secret Wars 8 (Double Cover) for $1,799 on ebay back in February (which was the time to sell...still months before the movie). I picked that book up off of ebay for $450 just a few weeks earlier.

Sometimes, its just knowing when to buy, when to sell, for how much, and having a little luck on your side that the right...um....investor will come along to pay your price.

Wow...you don't feel even a little guilty for bilking somebody like that?

I know a fool and his money are soon parted, but you must have been dealing with a mentally impaired person or something...

A lot of it is based on the book's availability. Some people waited until the movie opened before selling their 9.6 and 9.8 copies. However, by that time everyone and their grandmother had purchased a copy. I think most post 1965 books would fit this secenario (too many existing HG copies flooding the market at the same time). Pre-1965 books that are a lot scarcer could actually benefit from how popular the character becomes after the movie's release. A book like TOS #39 could in fact pick-up steam once Iron man hits theaters. Even if Spider-Man III had been a spectacular film, ASM #300 prices would still have dropped to these levels IMO.

You saying if that was you that sold the book for that amount of money, you would have refunded the buyer some of his money back because you would feel guilty? confused-smiley-013.gif

The only people making big money are the pre-speculators that bought low (or I guess the collectors who had the comic for years) who sell to the speculators who now can't flip them to anyone. Kind of sounds like a pyramid scheme with the person holding the comic when the movie opens being the loser.

Personally I think that most of the prices paid for post-1965 CGC comics are a pyramid scheme waiting to collapse one day. When GI Joe #21 sells for $2000+, ASM #129 sells for $10,000, Green Lantern #76 sells for $5000+, and Batman #227 sells for $1000+, then the whole thing smacks of being a pyramid scheme.

Yes, I admit it is very hard to find ultra high grade copies of pre-1975 comics, but so what ??? A comic is not like an investment in the stock market, on an asset that actually produces income and profits. The only way to make money in comics is to have someone else come along and pay more for it.

The whole thing is driven by the "greater fool" theory. People are willing to pay $10,000 for ASM #129 not because it is "worth" $10,000, but they pay that amount based on the belief they will always be able to sell it for more than that amount (or at least the same amount) in the future.

But if perception changes, and people believe prices are going lower, not higher, than the whole thing can collapse. Don't believe me? Ask the people who were buying tech stocks in March 2000. Many stocks lost 99% of their value, and the average stock declined by 80%.

Comic values have increased every year since about 1965, at a much higher rate than inflation. That is 42 years of upward price movement. But nothing goes up in a straight line forever.

This whole CGC thing for post-1965 comics is a bubble waiting to pop one day. When it does, some people will get burned very badly.

Wow...you don't feel even a little guilty for bilking somebody like that?

I know a fool and his money are soon parted, but you must have been dealing with a mentally impaired person or something...

Guilty? Heck no. A little shocked that someone paid that kind of money? Absolutely.

Bob Storms has a funny acronym for hype. (H.Y.P.E = Hope You Paid Enough). Meaning, quite simply, if you bought into the mania, be prepared to lose your shirt. No different then if you bought during the real estate peak of 2005 and you're staring at a monthly adjustable mortgage payment that keeps jumping higher on a house that's now worth 20-30% less then what you paid.

Too bad...so sad. You made an emotional decision, when you should have made a logical one backed with sound research and accurate financial analysis.

As a seller, its not my responsibilty to tell the buyer he's paying nutty money for something that I personally don't believe to be worth it. Who knows, in the long run he may make out well, or he might already have sold it to someone else. Either way, if you're going to spend $100, $1,000, $100,000 or $ 1 mil on something, its up to you to do the research if its something you're buying as an investment.

Guilty? Heck no. A little shocked that someone paid that kind of money? Absolutely.

Bob Storms has a funny acronym for hype. (H.Y.P.E = Hope You Paid Enough). Meaning, quite simply, if you bought into the mania, be prepared to lose your shirt. No different then if you bought during the real estate peak of 2005 and you're staring at a monthly adjustable mortgage payment that keeps jumping higher on a house that's now worth 20-30% less then what you paid.

Too bad...so sad. You made an emotional decision, when you should have made a logical one backed with sound research and accurate financial analysis.

As a seller, its not my responsibilty to tell the buyer he's paying nutty money for something that I personally don't believe to be worth it. Who knows, in the long run he may make out well, or he might already have sold it to someone else. Either way, if you're going to spend $100, $1,000, $100,000 or $ 1 mil on something, its up to you to do the research if its something you're buying as an investment.

Spoken like a true Gordon Gekko.

hail.gif20050831-Gordon%20Gekko.jpg

27_laughing.gif

I guess its more of a thought and a question. I understand the huge increase on Spidey 300 and Secret War #8 in anticipation of the movie but I don't really understand the large drop in prices considering the movie is doing well and is a "must-see" film for people outside the comic collection hobby. I also thought these peticular comics were going fro crazy cash since people thought the movie would do well (which happened) and people would be clammering for Venom comics similar to the Death of Superman craze.

Anyone explain this to me considering non-comic people just don't appear to be willing to pay crazy money for comics. Is the hope for a craze to happen over-riding peoples judgement?

Well, I think the big problem with maintaining the prices is that people who are new to the hobby will want to drop $100+ on a comic- something they aren't accustomed to paying $1.00 for. So, I don't think it's feasible to maintain the current prices.

I don't necessarily think it will tank like Captain America #25, or the Death of Superman because in those instances, the publishers KNEW there would be a high demand, and flooded the market with copies after the initial shipment to capitalize on the demand. Short term profit, but no long term value (Still good for reading purposes though!). The Venom comics (ASM 252, 298-300, SW 8, etc) will always maintain some value- just not what they were pre-Spider-Man 3. So long as Venom remains a popular character, and with McFarlane having been rather popular during his tenure, I think they will retain some value.

Spoken like a true Gordon Gekko.

hail.gif20050831-Gordon%20Gekko.jpg

27_laughing.gif

pretty savvy move, to jump on a site and insult someone you don't know inside of your first 20 posts.

why don't you prove to us that you have impeachable morality before you start being a ?

pretty savvy move, to jump on a site and insult someone you don't know inside of your first 20 posts.

why don't you prove to us that you have impeachable morality before you start being a ?

That was a joke, how about you grow a sense of humor sal...

Only one acting like a is you. 893blahblah.gif