• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing question...

15 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have this copy of Conan #24 CGC 9.6. Being someone who collects the best possible copies that I can, I was thinking of sending this in to Matt Nelson for a professional press and re-sub.

It is for my own personall collection. i want a 9.8... do I spend the $700-$900 to get one? Or do I send this in and get one for roughly $70 plus what I have into this book???

The book is beautiful! As seen in the pictures, the only noticeable flaw is the slight edge overhang. It DOES NOT break color.The pictures are close up and high res, so it appears MUCH bigger than it really is! It is roughly 1/8" wide...

th_Conan24001.jpg

th_Conan24002.jpg

th_Conan24003.jpg

Should it go? Keep it as is? Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

John thumbsup2.gif

Looks like the book would never receive a 9.6 again, nevermind a 9.8 poke2.gif

sorry.gif

That's clearly post-grading, encapsulation handling damage. sumo.gif

I'd tend to agree with you there. However, the crease does NOT break any color and there are no other visable flaws. It reall IS exaggerated in the pic as well. If it was pressed, it should remove all evidence of the crease. No?

Maybe I can send the bill to the encapsulation dept... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif

To be honest with you, I would call CGC/Steve, show them the book and ask if they agree if it was a handling error during the slabbing process..

It never hurts to ask and you might geta free press job out of it to remedy the error.

But hoping for a 9.8 is playing with fire because as Divad said, the damage was probably done post grading. Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Ze-

Just curious John . . . why the blackout? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And I'm kind of surprised it wasn't rejected for the overhang.

Why the black-out?

I dunno... I guess I don't want the scans being used for fraudulent purposes.I also try to keep who, what, when, where and how I buy my comics private.

No big conspiracy...

confused-smiley-013.gif

Why take that unnecessary chance on a great comic? If it were me, I would NOT resub it.

Think about it: you are going to crack open the slab, handle the comic more, mail it to whomever to get it pressed - hope like hades they handle the comic carefully - the presser sends it back, the USPS now handles the comic( the most dangerous/risky part), you get it back - handle it some more - send it back to CGC - they handle it - regrade it - possible downgrade one grade... just not worth it to me.

Cautious CAL makepoint.gif

Ya, I am gonna keep it as is...

Thanks guys!

John thumbsup2.gif

John,

An interesting option is to find a seller (eBay or on these boards) with a 9.8 and offer to trade your 9.6 plus cash. You get the 9.8 without grading risk and possibly the seller would rather have 9.6 plus cash to buy something else (especially if he/she sees how "close" your 9.6 is to the 9.8). thumbsup2.gif

Also, avoids any transaction/listing fees associated with selling your 9.6 independently after purchasing the 9.8.

GE

Ya, I am gonna keep it as is...

Thanks guys!

John thumbsup2.gif

John,

An interesting option is to find a seller (eBay or on these boards) with a 9.8 and offer to trade your 9.6 plus cash. You get the 9.8 without grading risk and possibly the seller would rather have 9.6 plus cash to buy something else (especially if he/she sees how "close" your 9.6 is to the 9.8). thumbsup2.gif

Also, avoids any transaction/listing fees associated with selling your 9.6 independently after purchasing the 9.8.

GE

good point!

Thanks

John thumbsup2.gif