• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover completely split and detached

15 posts in this topic

I'd be pretty amazed to find someone selling an attractive GA book with split covers as a Poor. Even a book missing its back cover can squeak by as a low Fair (unless the rules have suddenly changed between OS guides?).

I'd grade a book with split covers somewhere between 1.0-1.8, depending on the other flaws. No higher than 1.8 tho.

Thanks for the scan, Alton. thumbsup2.gif Yeah, that's a nice example of what I was talking about.

I can understand how the split/detachment flaw might be "the kiss of death" for some collectors, but this Supe #1 is complete, decent and presents well. Just too nice to grade .5. (And I should know...) wink.gif

yeah, I agree with Jon (Point Five), every book has to be graded on it's own merits or flaws,.. and a book that has a detached and completely split cover, is still complete, and isn't missing any pieces.

I agree (and love these low-grade topics, btw). I think a comic with both its front and back covers should grade higher than a coverless. If the spine is split 100% of the way down, then maybe it doesn't get a 2.0, but not a 0.5.

P.S. - I'll buy all your GA DC comics with completely split spines for coverless prices all day long.

If the restof the book is 4.0 or below, I typically go 1.0 with spine completely split. I was talking to someone at my open house last weekend and he said it's an automatic 1.5 for him. So I agree with you guys, .5 is way too low.

So the 1.0/1.5 grade includes the split spine, and other flaws that all into a 1.5 grade (creases, tears, etc)? What if it would otherwise be above 4.0, then a higher grade?

Well, I was lazy and just looked at what my OS Guide said. Sorry frown.gif

Personally, if it's in really sharp condition, and those are the only two significant defects, then yeah, I'd probably say a GD- or GD/FR (1.8-1.5). That Superman is a great example Dude.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's hard to have a hard and fast rule- seems like you need to take it on a case by case basis- what's the actual comic look like IN HAND, you know? But, I've only been at this for a year, so who knows?

yeah, I agree with Jon (Point Five), every book has to be graded on it's own merits or flaws,.. and a book that has a detached and completely split cover, is still complete, and isn't missing any pieces.

True - though I wouldn't call that Supes a 1.8 - more like a 1.5, but at those grades it doesn't really matter - a book like that will sell on it's eye-appeal first. A book would have to be pretty raggedy beyond the split cover for me to go .5. I would consider a book with a presentable loose FC and no back cover to be closer to a 1.0 than a .5 if the interior was in decent shape.

If the restof the book is 4.0 or below, I typically go 1.0 with spine completely split. I was talking to someone at my open house last weekend and he said it's an automatic 1.5 for him. So I agree with you guys, .5 is way too low.

So the 1.0/1.5 grade includes the split spine, and other flaws that all into a 1.5 grade (creases, tears, etc)? What if it would otherwise be above 4.0, then a higher grade?

It would be hard for me to go to 2.0 even if the book was otherwise amazing. I'd probably go with a qualified grade instead.