• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bucky question

3 posts in this topic

I just got a copy of Cap 66 where Bucky is shot and Golden Girl takes the sidekick duties. After reading about the characters involved, I'm kinda confused on which "Bucky" is shot in #66. Was this the original Bucky or was this Fred Davis?

According to the retcons, Fred Davis. But back in the GA there was only one Bucky.

"In the closing days of World War II in 1945, Captain America and Bucky try to stop the villainous Baron Zemo from destroying an experimental drone plane. Zemo launches the plane with an armed explosive device on it, with Rogers and Barnes in hot pursuit. They reach the plane just before it takes off. Bucky unsuccessfully tries to defuse the bomb, and it explodes in mid-air. The young man is apparently killed, and Rogers is hurled into the freezing waters of the North Atlantic. Rogers' body, preserved in suspended animation in a block of ice, is only found decades later by The Avengers (The Avengers #4, March 1964).

Fearing that the deaths of Captain America and Bucky, if revealed, would be a blow to morale, President Truman asked William Nasland, the hero known as the Spirit of '76 (a member of the Crusaders), to assume the identity of Captain America. Assisting him was Fred Davis, a former bat-boy for the New York Yankees, who had posed as Bucky in 1942. The new Captain America and Bucky finished the rest of the war and continued to fight crime with the All-Winners Squad. Nasland was killed in 1946 fighting the android Adam II, and Captain America's identity passed to Jeff Mace, the Patriot (What If #4, August 1977).

Davis assisted Mace until 1948, when he was shot and wounded, forcing him to retire and leaving him with a permanent limp."

Thanks for the explanation. So I guess the GA Cap books were only collections of short stories that didn't really connect and therefore Marvel felt they could rewrite the history, correct?