• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee SS Books?

99 posts in this topic

Or even Michael Turner. I could think of a number of guys who have more.

Keep in mind Stan Lee has had 2 private signings with Paradise comics. Other than that, if he ever does a convention, he only signs for about one hour, and people are limited to 1 thing signed by him.

How many people keep those though, rather than selling them? Bendis and Turner are hacks.

I have to say....that is very nice for a 2.0 Book.....I mean, it's very comparable to my 5.0 SS Stan Lee Hulk.....Do 2.0/5.0 vary by so little?

-Issa

P.S. Nice, Stan Lee file copy, by the way. smile.gif

All right, I kinda opened this can of worms over in Silver Surfer's "Young Men #24" thread, but looking at some of the books here really made me wonder even more about SS books.

Again, I'm not attacking or poking fun. Collect what makes you happy and I'll do the same. I really want to know what collectors see in SS books that I don't. Having Stan "The Man" Lee sign your FF #1 or X-Men #1 boggles my mind to start with (why would you lay out that kind of cash to have some guy scribble on the cover?) but even more puzzling for me are the Iron Fist book and the X-Men #266 in this thread. Stan didn't technically have anything to do with those.

I get books signed as a souvenir of meeting a favorite creator. I don't generally get them signed through the mail or buy the already signed, but if a personal favorite is at a show, I'll stand in line to get a sig. I even did it for Stan in San Diego last year-for the record, I had him sign my Marvel Farnatsic Firsts HB.

I'm old school though, and writing on the book is writing on the book, especially on the cover. So convince me other wise! What is it that SS collectors see that I don't? Help me out here!

Having Stan "The Man" Lee sign your FF #1 or X-Men #1 boggles my mind to start with (why would you lay out that kind of cash to have some guy scribble on the cover?)

It's not "some guy" scribbling on the cover it's Stan Lee autographing it; if I had either of those books and could get Stan to sign them I would do it in a second. I wouldn't care about it being SS or what it does to resale because it would be something that I would keep forever and cherish and know it was signed by someone I admire.

Having Stan "The Man" Lee sign your FF #1 or X-Men #1 boggles my mind to start with (why would you lay out that kind of cash to have some guy scribble on the cover?)

It's not "some guy" scribbling on the cover it's Stan Lee autographing it; if I had either of those books and could get Stan to sign them I would do it in a second. I wouldn't care about it being SS or what it does to resale because it would be something that I would keep forever and cherish and know it was signed by someone I admire.

Ok, "some guy" was carrying it a bit too far, I'm sorry. I can see having him sign a book, though. Just not one of those classics. A reprint? Sure. I don't think I could have an original signed though.

But that's just me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well. Signature Series is hard for some to understand. But eventually everybody does it even if it is once. I have had collectors get expensive books signed there first time around and they had previously said they would never do signature series. Eventually somebody shows up who you highly admire and want a authentic autograph from and you buckle. A friend of mine got his Detective comics # 10 signed by creig flessel when we took him to lunch and had it Signature Series'd it is a 600 dollar book. I am sure he could get that any day of the week. I am also sure he would never sell it.

Well. Signature Series is hard for some to understand. But eventually everybody does it even if it is once.

In all honesty, I used to view CGC books with the same skepticism that I currently view SS books. Why would anybody buy comics and not read them? 893whatthe.gif

I turned to the dark side there, I'm sure I will again. VaderSmiley.gif