• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

price estimate on batman 1

29 posts in this topic

The 3.0 is a frankenbook and the 2.5 has slightly brittle pages. I'd stay away from both of them. Batman 1 is a common book and there will be better specimens just around the corner.

The 3.0 is a frankenbook and the 2.5 has slightly brittle pages. I'd stay away from both of them. Batman 1 is a common book and there will be better specimens just around the corner.

Common? confused-smiley-013.gif

relative to DC keys, Batman 1 is the most available, but nothing common about it (as far as GA nomenclature)....75% of the copies that come to ebay, etc, seem to be restored, lower grade, frankenbooks, etc...finding a nice "specimen" can take some time and money....

that said, you should be able to pick up an extensively restored batman 1 on a fair budget...under $5K average if you are looking at the 4.0 restored and under range...and they do show up pretty regularly, so don't be in a huge hurry...

rick

Hands down the most common GA key, by a country mile. sumo.gif It's not like you have to jump on a Batman #1 when one comes up for sale because you're not sure when you'll get a shot at another one. Collectors can definitely choose to be picky and bide their time when it comes to Batman #1.

Hands down the most common GA key, by a country mile. sumo.gif It's not like you have to jump on a Batman #1 when one comes up for sale because you're not sure when you'll get a shot at another one. Collectors can definitely choose to be picky and bide their time when it comes to Batman #1.

Perhaps, but Cap 1 and All Flash 1 give it a run for their money. But common as it relates to other golden age keys? Sure. But common as a blanket statement? As in Spawn 1 common? Not by 100 country miles.

Perhaps, but Cap 1 and All Flash 1 give it a run for their money.

No way. I would definitely say Cap 1 is second, but it's a distant second in my opinion.

But common as it relates to other golden age keys? Sure. But common as a blanket statement? As in Spawn 1 common? Not by 100 country miles.

Well of course! I was posting in a GA thread so I didn't think I needed to add that qualifier! flowerred.gif

thanks for the input. I'll wait then.

patience is always a virtue...that said, if you see a really good deal, don't be afraid to pull the trigger...as many bat 1's as there seemingly are, they always sell smile.gif

rick

You're splitting hairs, Bill. In the context of other GA books, Batman 1 is common. I figured everyone would know I wasn't comparing it to Spawn #1 or the 1990's X-Men #1.

I've been looking for a Fight Comics #35 for ages. Can't find one. Batman #1 is just a matter of having a briefcase of cash hand.

Perhaps, but Cap 1 and All Flash 1 give it a run for their money.

No way. I would definitely say Cap 1 is second, but it's a distant second in my opinion.

But common as it relates to other golden age keys? Sure. But common as a blanket statement? As in Spawn 1 common? Not by 100 country miles.

Well of course! I was posting in a GA thread so I didn't think I needed to add that qualifier! flowerred.gif

It wasn't your comment that prompted my remark in the first place. The comment was made without any qualifier that it is a "common" book. That is not a true statement. Common needs a qualifier. You made a valid point that it is more common than other big golden age keys. We agree there.

For the record, I have owned an equal number of Batman 1's and Cap 1's. So from my vantage point as a golden age dealer/collector. They are both obtainable with relative ease. However, neither is common.

You're splitting hairs, Bill. In the context of other GA books, Batman 1 is common. I figured everyone would know I wasn't comparing it to Spawn #1 or the 1990's X-Men #1.

I've been looking for a Fight Comics #35 for ages. Can't find one. Batman #1 is just a matter of having a briefcase of cash hand.

Not really. Not everyone that reads the gold boards is a seasoned golden age collector, as evidenced by several of the new threads lately from recent converts (or those considering crossing over). I was just trying to keep the view balanced. Batman 1 is one the the premier comics of the golden age, and pops up a lot because so many are searching for it.

Fight 35 has little monetary value (compared to a Bat 1) and is very esoteric and cool. Those who own it are not inclined to sell it. Why should they? I have owned several copies of it in my days as a dealer. It has its fans, but there are many more Batman collectors out there than Fight collectors. If it started selling for thousands in VG, plenty copies would be available.

Lets be accurate.

By golden age standards for a key book]

A restored Batman # 1 is fairly common

An unrestored Batman # 1 fairly scarce

A Batman # 1 unrestored above 5.0 IS scarce.

A Batman # 1 unrestored above 8.5 is Rare.

IRRELEVANT of grade or restoration it is fairly common[for a key] by goldenage standards ONLY!

I think the above is accurate

Lets be accurate.

IRRELEVANT of grade or restoration it is fairly common[for a key] by goldenage standards ONLY!

thumbsup2.gif

Lets be accurate.

thumbsup2.gif

Now that we've settled that, can someone find me a Fight Comics #35 in 6.0 or better?

Silver age keys above 9.0 are much more common at least compared to a Batman # 1 above 9.0 [which is impossible].How impossible? Even the Mile High copy has restaration on it.

I'll play this game all day with SA DC keys.

The Census shows 3 universal Batman #1s in 9.0, none higher, and 2 in 8.5.

The Census also shows only 2 universal Showcase #22s in 9.0, none higher, and 2 in 8.5.

Even tougher is Showcase #8, which I assure you is not a cheap book even though it's "just" a SA book, which has 1 copy in 9.2 (from the incredible Newsboy collection), none higher, and ZERO copies in 9.0 or 8.5.

Similarly, Detective #225, which is also not a cheap book, has 1 copy in 9.2, none higher, and ZERO copies in 9.0 or 8.5.

Scarcity in HG is not unique to the GA!

You are focusing on the exceptions!

Im not saying im 100% accurate.Im saying im 99% accurate.

As a general rule,,Silver age keys above 9.0 are much more common at least compared to a Batman # 1 above 9.0 [which is impossible].

Also, I said ABOVE 9.0[not 9.0]