• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

price estimate on batman 1

29 posts in this topic

The Census shows 3 universal Batman #1s in 9.0, none higher, and 2 in 8.5.

3 in 9.0 now? That must be the really nice Bat 1 that Steve mentioned he graded a couple of weeks ago.

The Census also shows only 2 universal Showcase #22s in 9.0, none higher, and 2 in 8.5.

Even tougher is Showcase #8, which I assure you is not a cheap book even though it's "just" a SA book, which has 1 copy in 9.2 (from the incredible Newsboy collection), none higher, and ZERO copies in 9.0 or 8.5.

Shouldn't you be comparing Bat #1 to Lantern #1 (where the census shows 4 9.0s and 3 higher) and not Showcase #22?

Comparing the introduction of a character to his first issue a year and a popularity surge later hardly seems fair.

But if you want to use the Showcase #8 example (which I don't think anyone disputes is tough in high grade) why don't you compare it to Action #2 (or even #7) with no copies graded above a 7.0 or Detective #28 and #29 (with only 2 copies graded above 7.5 for either issue)?

So Showcase #8 has more copies graded VF or better (6) than all four of the other GA issues mentioned combined.

The Census also shows only 2 universal Showcase #22s in 9.0, none higher, and 2 in 8.5.

Even tougher is Showcase #8, which I assure you is not a cheap book even though it's "just" a SA book, which has 1 copy in 9.2 (from the incredible Newsboy collection), none higher, and ZERO copies in 9.0 or 8.5.

Shouldn't you be comparing Bat #1 to Lantern #1 (where the census shows 4 9.0s and 3 higher) and not Showcase #22?

Comparing the introduction of a character to his first issue a year and a popularity surge later hardly seems fair.

But if you want to use the Showcase #8 example (which I don't think anyone disputes is tough in high grade) why don't you compare it to Action #2 (or even #7) with no copies graded above a 7.0 or Detective #28 and #29 (with only 2 copies graded above 7.5 for either issue)?

So Showcase #8 has more copies graded VF or better (6) than all four of the other GA issues mentioned combined.

Didn't realize it had to be such a like-to-like comparison! tonofbricks.gif

Anyways, A1K was talking about books above 9.0, and I just wanted to clear up a common misconception among GA collectors that GA=impossible in NM while SA=easy in NM. For DC SA collectors that's simply not true for the 1956-1961 period when most of the big DC SA keys appeared. Once you get below the uber-grades, sure, SA from any year will always definitely be easier.

But anyways, I'm game! How about All-Star #3? Comparable to B&B 28, right? 1 copy in 9.6 and 1 in 9.4, which dwarfs the B&B 28 9.4 or better population (just 1 measly 9.4).

Detective #28 vs. Showcase 8: 2 in the 9.0 or better population vs. just 1

Detective #29 vs. Showcase 13: highest in census is a 9.6 vs. highest in census a mere 9.2

Detective #30 vs. Showcase 14: 1 in 9.2 or higher vs. 0 in 9.2 or higher

Anyways, A1K was talking about books above 9.0, and I just wanted to clear up a common misconception among GA collectors that GA=impossible in NM while SA=easy in NM.

Not quite what he said. What he said was that "Silver age [bold]keys[/bold] above 9.0 are much more common at least compared to a Batman # 1 above 9.0", not just SA books in general or even second/third/fourths.

And if we look at the evidence so far he is correct. Just comparing the DC's as you requested, let's take a quick look at the number of copies above 9.0:

Batman #1 = 0

Showcase #4 = 3

Flash #105 = 3

Brave & Bold #28 = 1

Justice League #1 = 4

(And I don't know a single person who says "SA = easy in NM" - at least when talking about keys in the time period you are referring to and not 1968. Do you really know someone who says this?)

I will venture to guess that over the next ten years or so the population of silver age DC on the census will rise as that age group ages and passes away. Most of the original owner early Golden Age collections have entered the market. But a much higher percentage of OO Silver Age DC collections have not. Again, this is just a guess. Will they be high grade? Who knows. Will they be as highly sought after as Batman #1. Only time will tell, but I doubt it.

seanK,

Guess u did not like the unrestored Lost Valley copy of Fight #35 vf/nm $480? Was that double guide back in July, 2003 upon release? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I wasn't looking for one in 2003, nor did I have the funds back then to purchase that copy. Now, I'm looking for one and I have the funds. Got one for sale?

Anyways, A1K was talking about books above 9.0, and I just wanted to clear up a common misconception among GA collectors that GA=impossible in NM while SA=easy in NM.

Not quite what he said. What he said was that "Silver age [bold]keys[/bold] above 9.0 are much more common at least compared to a Batman # 1 above 9.0", not just SA books in general or even second/third/fourths.

I was reading between the lines.

And if we look at the evidence so far he is correct. Just comparing the DC's as you requested, let's take a quick look at the number of copies above 9.0:

Batman #1 = 0

Showcase #4 = 3

Flash #105 = 3

Brave & Bold #28 = 1

Justice League #1 = 4

But you conveniently forgot Showcase #22. poke2.gif

(And I don't know a single person who says "SA = easy in NM" - at least when talking about keys in the time period you are referring to and not 1968. Do you really know someone who says this?)

I think there are a few GA collectors who think this. I think there are quite a few people who still don't realize just how tough NM books are from that time period. They just sort of equate "SA" with "Marvel" and/or "1966 and later".

hello all...

seems most all the DC books of the early to mid to late 50's are to some degree tough... period....forget uber high grade, find me a GA wonder woman issue in the 60's or 70's from the mid 1950's, and I will pay you handsomely (for VGs!)....or, nice Detectives in the low to mid 200's, etc...these books are tough!

gator

But you conveniently forgot Showcase #22. poke2.gif

So, out of all the Silver Age keys you have been able to locate one key that so far is as tough as Batman #1 in 9.0 or better? I would say that pretty much proves the point that "Silver Age Keys are much more common compared to Batman #1 (each above 9.0)".