• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Annual GA Forum Memorial Day War Cover Post-A-Thon

363 posts in this topic

Okay gents, here are the final totals:

433 total war covers posted! 893applaud-thumb.gif

As for the pledge breakdown, the donation amount is in bold for each poster. I scoured through both this thread and the one from a month ago announcing the post-a-thon to assemble the pledges. Also, there were a few Forumites who wanted to pledge but didn't specify an amount, so I will leave it to them to complete their donations and post back here when they are done. In case I missed you, or your pledge, I apologize. Let me know if I flubbed something, and I'll adjust the list accordingly.

Paratrooper ( $500 to the VFW). hail.gifhail.gif

Mr Bedrock ( $200 to Blinded Veterans of America)

BTW Richie, you get my vote for top poster...not only with your generous pledge, but also with your AMAZING books....please sell me your Subbys when you tire of them. hail.gifhail.gif

JiveTurkey ( $100 to DAV)

Point Five ( $44 to DAV)

Apotheosis ( $44 to Operation Gratitude)

Mr Schomburg ( $100 to DAV)

143ksk ( $44, no charity specified)

MikePhoen ( $50 to the Royal Canadian Legion Poppy Fund.

skypinkblu ( $50 to DAV)

Billy Parker ( $44, no charity specified)

Buttock (was donating time to the VA, awesome!) 893applaud-thumb.gif

innocuous ( $50 to DAV).

Silver Surfer ( $50)

TB ( $89 to Paralyzed Veterans of America).

And I couldn't find specific pledge amounts for the following folks (again, I apologize if I missed them).:

James Welborn

Detective27kid

So, by my count, we raised at least $1365 with our pledges! Great job guys! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I ask for everyone to complete their donations in the next week if possible, and once done, please post back here to verify. If the amount changed, let me know (in case you're rounding up those $44 pledges to $50 for example).

My favorite cover groups, in order of theme/company:

Timelys, especially Richie's high grade Schomburgs. hail.gif

The DC Grey Tones...awesome books!

Atlas war covers....love 'em! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks to everyone who contributed. This was a great first go and I'm proud of everyone who contributed! Give yourselves a hand! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You know when you have seen something a million times and never realized there was some hidden meaning,and then the lightbulb turns on, and it hits you.........

"Point Five".....duh......man am I slow!

Beautiful copy, and you are right, with a backing board no one would ever know!

damn, that's funny. i laughed so hard i made a poot.

I'm donating $500 (like I do ever year) to the VFW via my CFC (Combined Federal Campain) contributions. We should do this every year, great books and great way to raise some money for our service members.

hail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

If you don't mind, I'll count that generous $500 donation towards the Board total. wink.gif

Next year, we'll shoot for double the donations and double the book count! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

A check for $200 has been sent to the Blinded Veteran's Association.

This was a great idea Jive. You really deserve all the credit. Posting covers of cool comics for a great cause is the easiest thing in the world. I enjoyed showing some stuff off, and I really dug seeing everyone's books. There are so many diverse tastes among all the collectors here, but the theme of war and it's presentation throughout the history of comics leads to a commonality of everyone's collections. World War II, in a way, is the biggest reason comics are around today. Superheroes had just started and the war gave them a purpose. The historical references and the unbridled patriotism is the main reason World War II era comics appeal to me so much.

And this thread puts it all in perspective. Thank you, Jive, for the kind words, and thanks again for the effort. Let's do it again.

Richard

As for the pledge breakdown, the donation amount is in bold for each poster. I scoured through both this thread and the one from a month ago announcing the post-a-thon to assemble the pledges. Also, there were a few Forumites who wanted to pledge but didn't specify an amount, so I will leave it to them to complete their donations and post back here when they are done. In case I missed you, or your pledge, I apologize. Let me know if I flubbed something, and I'll adjust the list accordingly.

BTW Richie, you get my vote for top poster...not only with your generous pledge, but also with your AMAZING books....please sell me your Subbys when you tire of them. hail.gifhail.gif

Point Five ( $44 to DAV)

MikePhoen ( $44 to the Royal Canadian Legion Poppy Fund.

skypinkblu ( $50 to DAV)

innocuous ( $50 to DAV).

And I couldn't find specific pledge amounts for the following folks (again, I apologize if I missed them).:

James Welborn

Silver Surfer

TB

Detective27kid

So, by my count, we raised at least $1220 with our pledges! Great job guys! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I ask for everyone to complete their donations in the next week if possible, and once done, please post back here to verify. If the amount changed, let me know (in case you're rounding up those $44 pledges to $50 for example).

Thanks to everyone who contributed. This was a great first go and I'm proud of everyone who contributed! Give yourselves a hand! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll flip $50 to anyone who wants to add it to their total and pledge it to whatever US organization they see fit, just drop me a PM.

Point Five ( $44 to DAV)

skypinkblu ( $50 to DAV)

innocuous ( $50 to DAV).

Silver Surfer ( $50)

James Welborn

TB

Detective27kid

So, by my count, we raised at least $1276 with our pledges! Great job guys! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks so much for running this Jive thumbsup2.gif, truth be told I was not planning on keeping most of those war books, most were just ones I had accumulated over the years, most of my collection centers around Super Heroes...however, I had so much fun AND had time to think about what these covers really represented, so most of them, will be staying in my collection at least for a while:)

I haven't thought about the meaning of the covers themselves lately, but this gave me time to reflect...so thank you all again...and what WONDERFUL comics you all have! Thank you for taking the time to set this all up and allowing me the opportunity to join in hail.gif

Sharon

Ok, I got off mine and Surfer's donation to the Disabled American Vets.

And thanks to everyone for all the kind words, I appreciate it, but it was really just one of those things that felt right to do. I actually wish I had more time to devote to it these past weeks, as I know I could've recruited more pledgers, more posters, and probably raised even more money, but this past week has just been SO hectic for me.

I just received a promotion to a new position that I begin this week AND I'm getting married this upcoming Saturday, with a 2-week honeymoon to follow, so things have been crazy to say the least. Family & friends coming in to town, wedding preparations, multiple interviews with my bosses this past week, a billiion things left to do, blah, blah, blah.

If anything, I wanted to begin this project because I feel grateful that I have a chance to enjoy this time in my life in part because of the selfless acts and sacrifice of so many brave and noble men and women. I'm very happy with the outcome and with the participation of so many great people. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Needless to say though, I'm shooting for the sky next year with the 2nd Annual Memorial Day Post-A-Thon: double the books, double the pledgers, four times the donations!

Point Five ( $44 to DAV)

skypinkblu ( $50 to DAV)

innocuous ( $50 to DAV).

Silver Surfer ( $50)

TB ( $89 to Paralyzed Veterans of America).

James Welborn

Detective27kid

So, by my count, we raised at least $1365 with our pledges! Great job guys! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I actually donated a little more, I gave 300 to a disabled vertern. I called the local veterns office and asked if they new of any certain veterns in need. They hooked me up with a local vet who has no legs, and I personally helped him by paying current his power bill, and giving him a couple hundred extra. Very rewarding and I explained what Jive had set up on the boards, and that people had pledged to help out. This gent. was a special forces Green Baret in Vet. Nam, cool stories..no family kinda sad, but an interesting guy. Anyway, thanks to all, this was a good thing, and next year we should do more for our real heroes!

Special Thanks to you Jive!

Great Idea! and the best for you and your new bride!

Paul

I actually donated a little more, I gave 300 to a disabled vertern. I called the local veterns office and asked if they new of any certain veterns in need. They hooked me up with a local vet who has no legs, and I personally helped him by paying current his power bill, and giving him a couple hundred extra. Very rewarding and I explained what Jive had set up on the boards, and that people had pledged to help out. This gent. was a special forces Green Baret in Vet. Nam, cool stories..no family kinda sad, but an interesting guy. Anyway, thanks to all, this was a good thing, and next year we should do more for our real heroes!

Paul

Fantastic story, it's acts like this that make the world a better place. Sure, people can donate money to a organization, but the extra step of meeting the individual your helping makes the charity all that more rewarding. Kudos to you Mr. Schomburg! hail.gif

Paul

Fantastic story, it's acts like this that make the world a better place. Sure, people can donate money to a organization, but the extra step of meeting the individual your helping makes the charity all that more rewarding. Kudos to you Mr. Schomburg! hail.gif

Absolutely! Great Job Schomy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

With Mr. Schomburg's generous contribution, that raises the donation amount to $1565. That's exemplary! You guys are the best! hail.gif

Ok... I sent my donation to Operation Gratitude through their website. I bumped my $44 up to $75. It allowed me to send a message to the troops at the same time and thought you guys might like to see it as well...

"Thank you for putting your lives on the line so that me and mine can continue to live the American way of life. It truly is a heroic thing that you do and our debt you will never be fully repaid. Thank you again and come home safe."

Thank you Jive for setting this up. Too often our troops and veterans get forgotten due to ill feelings over the war. It's important to always remember that they are protecting us and our way of life.

Hopefully next year we can raise even more 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Paul

Paul nice touch and a great gesture. thumbsup2.gif