• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's talk WATCHMEN Art

17 posts in this topic

So I'm considering making a serious run for a Watchmen page the next time I have the opportunity to do so. First I want to get my head properly wrapped around prices and whatnot. I've looked at what market data is available through CAF and there's not a lot to look at so I'm looking for a little help from the group. (PM's welcome as well.)

Though I like the character of Rorschach, I wouldn't pay a premium for pages featuring him, as I'd prefer a nice Ozymandius page (#1 choice) or a quality Dr. Manhattan page. Unlike V pages, which I feel I have a pretty good grasp on, Watchmen pages seem to have the capacity to vary a lot more based on characters and content.

Thoughts or experiences from the group?

Thanks as always.

J

I'd like to have a page as well but I think my chances are slim and none. I think finding a piece for sale is going to be hard enough regardless of price. I think anybody who owns a page would have to be pretty desparate for $$$ to be willing to sell.

I love watching the Watchmen pages when they're up for auction, but don't have enough desire for one to pay the price (yet). I'd need a really great page (like Hari's) but for the money, there are a few other series I'd rather get something from.

There have been several on Ebay this past year and sold for what I thought were pretty fair winning bids. While I wouldn't say any of them were "great", they were at least solid. Most featured Dr. Manhattan. No Rorschach or Comedian pages.

There are so many pages from the series. I'm sure more will pop up.

I think finding a piece for sale is going to be hard enough regardless of price. I think anybody who owns a page would have to be pretty desparate for $$$ to be willing to sell.

There have in fact been quite a few pages available for sale in the last couple of years. These types of pages pop up much more often that people think, as the all the art is out there somewhere...

Yeah, I've been watching these pages go by, several ----> quite a few every year in public and of course who knows what in private. I haven't seen quite what I've been looking for except when it's been (I thought) overpriced, but it's only a matter of time. Gonna have to be both patient and picky, but that's fine!! smile.gif

In just the last couple of years, I've seen about 10 pages on Ebay, a couple of pages on Mitch I's site, a couple on Mark McDermott's site and I'm sure there were more that I'm not recalling right now. There have also been a couple of private deals that I know about (including mine). The pages ran the gamut, in terms of quality and price.

Now compare that to trying to find a page from that other 80's milestone, DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. It's not even close! A nice representative page from WATCHMEN has been much easier to obtain (if you're willing to pay the price). Given your tenacity in finding and obtaining different OA, I'd say your chances are pretty good.thumbsup2.gif

Though, they can be pricey and you may have to sell something else to help fund it. devil.gif

True!! And there have been some people offering KRAZY money for that Preacher page I just picked up. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif

You will see more Watchmen OA come up for sale right before the movie is released.

This is very true. And if the movie completely SUCKS then you can buy them afterwards cheap, foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

stooges.gif

Seriously, I hope this is the Alan Moore based comic book movie that DOESN'T suck. If Hollywood replaces Ozymandius with Huck Finn, I'm gonna burn that town to the ground.... sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

And if it ends up living up to expectations the pages are going to go UP UP UP!!!! Egads I'm channeling KK!!! 893whatthe.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

You HOPE it doesn't suck?

It's an absolute CERTAINTY that it's going to suck *spoon*!

Hey, I'm trying to be positive. Maybe it'll suck less than Extraordinarily Bad League of Gentlemen Who Were Never in the Comic Book. confused-smiley-013.gif

For what it is worth, I hope the movie doesn't suck.

The initial casting rumors on the internet indicate that they finding people who at least look like the characters they will play. (I.e.: Jude Law for Ozymandias).

Also, who better to play an aloof and emotionally detached demi-god Dr. Manhattan than the actor whose entire emotional stage range wavers between aloof and emotionally detached - Keanu Reeves!

I do hope they don't go pretty boy for Rorschach. They should cast that fairly unattractive, but martial arts expert who played Darth Maul and the Toad in X2 (Ray Park? I think?).

By the way, what is the actual range in dollars that people have seen Watchmen pages go for? After reading this entire board, I have no idea on what such a page would cost in actual money. That's Krazy!