• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE-Reading BRONZE/MODERN Classics AGAIN years later... Better or worse?

197 posts in this topic

So, in that light, and being shamed by you, this will be my last post.

Let all celebrate Greggy for finally driving Povertyrow not only form the boards but also into a deep depression and feeling of total worthlessness.

What? I thought I drove you out once already? Please don't go. We love you long time........ laugh.gif

Let all celebrate Greggy for finally driving Povertyrow not only form the boards but also into a deep depression and feeling of total worthlessness.

What? I thought I drove you out once already? Please don't go. We love you long time........ laugh.gif

Hell....we thought that we got rid of you but you came back! 893frustrated.gif

Well, I mean - it IS Greggy - he is SO easy to fool! Say! Fool rhymes with Tool! grin.gif

OK - seriously - I have gotten a good deal of BA books from Greggy and they really are pretty. But if he asks YOU - tell hi I am most displeased with the grading! That will assure me a discount on my next purchase!

Well, I mean - it IS Greggy - he is SO easy to fool! Say! Fool rhymes with Tool! grin.gif

OK - seriously - I have gotten a good deal of BA books from Greggy and they really are pretty. But if he asks YOU - tell hi I am most displeased with the grading! That will assure me a discount on my next purchase!

OK...you made me a jaded collector. Screw you and the good deals. From now on, gman style negotiations! mad.gif

Typical Greggy - says "Can I Help You?" to a burglar!

Just pretend to understand BOC - it is the only way! grin.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If anyone wants to "re-read" V for Vendetta along with me... and try and complete it by next Friday 12th... it might be interesting to have a few people commenting together about their "new" take on the series.

If this proves worthwhile... we could chose a new classic series of "yesteryear" every so often and see where that takes us.

good idea... sucky idea?

confused-smiley-013.gif

It's the Oprah Comic Book Club 27_laughing.gif

I think I made that comparison already ...somewhere? tongue.gifgrin.gif

Maybe the Adam's TPB next?... although some of that may be 1st time for me.

Jeeez...14 new posts and all rambling with no input or takers

sorry.gif

Maybe the Adam's TPB next?... although some of that may be 1st time for me.

Jeeez...14 new posts and all rambling with no input or takers

sorry.gif

It's a great idea 893applaud-thumb.gif There's a treasure trove of good stuff that should be exposed in the forums.

The Doctor Strange Bronze Age revival was also excellent (Marvel Premiere, first few issues of Doctor Strange) - too bad it hasn't been reprinted, but I would put it on par with Tomb of Dracula. Frank Brunner's artwork was awesome! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I was under the impression that Marvel recently reprinted the Brunner Dr. Strange stories in a trade paperback.

Graffitti Designs was supposed to release a hardcover to coincide with that release - I ordered it but it hasn't shown up yet. Ditto for the Starlin Captain Marvel hardcover.

Kev

Marvel did reprint some of the early Brunner Dr. Strange stories in trade format... seems about two years ago. The Starlin Captain Marvel has long been around in trade format, but not hardcover.

Thanks for confirming my post. I know about the Starlin CM tpb.

I was referring to:

LIFE & DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL LIMITED EDITION HARDCOVER BOOK

by Jim Starlin (solicited in May 2002, re-solicited sometime in 2003)

The Life & Death of Captain Marvel Limited Hardcover Book collects for the first time ever in hardcover format, the epic sage by Jim Starlin along with a host of other creative talents. Features 304 full-color pages that includes Captain Marvel #25-34, Iron Man #55, Marvel Feature #12 and The Death of Captain Marvel. Features new dustjacket and signature page art by Jim Starlin that will be exclusive to this edition. Limited to an edition size of 1000, each book will feature a sequentially numbered signature page signed by Starlin. Full-color dustjacket, smyth-sewn hardcover binding with debossed cover and special endpapers are combined to create the definitive collection of this classic storyline.Quantities are limited with orders subject to allocations based upon orders received.

Ltd. Hardcover Book, 304 pgs, color..$69.95

DR. STRANGE: SEPARATE REALITY LIMITED EDITION HARDCOVER BOOK

by Steve Englehart & Frank Brunner (re-solicited feb 2003)

One of the gems from the 70's returns. Dr. Strange: Separate Reality Limited Hardcover Book collects for the first time ever in hardcover format, the Dr. Strange material by Steve Englehart and Frank Brunner. Features 176 full-color pages that includes the first issues from Doctor Strange's Premiere 1974 series. Features new dustjacket and signature page art by Frank Brunner that will be exclusive to this edition. Limited to an edition size of 1000, each book will feature a sequentially numbered signature page signed by both Englehart and Brunner. Full-color dustjacket, smyth-sewn hardcover binding with debossed cover and special endpapers are combined to create the definitive collection of this classic storyline. Quantities are limited with orders subject to allocations based upon orders received. All prior orders have been canceled.

HC, 7x10, 176pg, FC $69.95

You know, Greggy? You are correct. I am definitely too old to be on these boards. I mean - I will be 53 in December (12/22 for anyone who wants to send a gift). So, in that light, and being shamed by you, this will be my last post.

Hey, Pov, that's my GF's birthday too!

DAM

yeah... i don't know what happened to the hardcovers... I actually might have bought the CM hardcover had they done some improvements to the reprint quality. The life and death of Captain Marvel trade isn't even as good as the original reprint from 1991.

I still have my original Life of CM trade... but I agree whatever paperstock Marvel uses for their trades is NOT flattering for older material.

I would have picked up the Avengers/Defenders War TPB as I remember reading parts of the original when I was a kid, but the tpb looked awful.

I did get the Thor Visionnaires Vol. 1 Ltd. Ed. HC and Daredevil Visionnairies Frank Miller Vol. 1-3 Ltd. Ed. Hardcovers - the interior paper stock on these is infinitely superior to the coated paperstock Marvel uses on their TPBs. So I would hope that they would follow suit with the Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel hardcovers. Maybe that's why they've been delayed.

Kev

Yeah... DC's reprint quality overall is clearly superior to that of Marvel's... even on their hardbound editions, DC's Archives generally are better than the Marvel Masterworks... but... I wish that Marvel would at least do the job they did on the Miller DD and Simonson Thor reprints... those are at least tolerable.