• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE-Reading BRONZE/MODERN Classics AGAIN years later... Better or worse?

197 posts in this topic

I bought From Hell, but each time I pick it up, I would find myself falling asleep It's not an easy read. Reminded me of Dave Sim's verbose Cerebus years.

I agree with that. But it is worth it. Great stuff, really well done. But not a "light" read in any way, shape, or form.

I *did* read them as individual issues when they were first released and that I think was a bit easy to do, you had smaller bits to digest.

is "TopTen" any good? anyone?

I found it to be okay, but nothing special - my expectations were higher going in. If you're interested, I can hook you up with the first four issues at 20% off cover + shipping.

From Hell is worth the effort.

I would say that LXG is Moore's best recent stuff by a large margin.

I picked up the big Supreme tpb and am about half way through. It is fun in small doses, but I needed to give it a rest. I'll pick it up later.

Now that I have a minute, I'll expand on this by giving my own personal opinions:

Lots of Alan Moore's recent work is a spoof (or an homage) of previous genres. I'd put into this category:

-1963 (spoofs 1960s Marvels: the faux Bullpen Bulletins are the best part!)

-Supreme (homage to Weisinger-era Superman family books)

-Tom Strong (homage to Doc Savage + Superman)

-Jack B. Quick (1950s DC sci-fi kids' anthologies meets Calvin&Hobbes)

-Greyshirt (a la Eisner's Spirit: sometimes compares favorably to the original)

Promethea is also an homage to Wonder Woman, but goes beyond that, and is probably Moore's most serious (or most self-conscious) current work, moreso than LXG.

LXG is of course an homage to Victorian literature.

Capt Britain is very very early Moore-- some of the ideas here were later used on Supreme.

Top Ten would have had more impact if Kurt Busiek's Astro City had not already covered some of the same ground (super-heroes as a distinct professional class in an otherwise-real world.)

From Hell is a deeply-researched, heavily-annotated review of the Jack the Ripper murders, but also a critique of Victorian England. After Brought to Light and V for Vendetta this is Moore's most overtly-political work.

Thanks Z

Sounds like...

Captain Britain

From Hell

Supreme

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Tom Strong

Promethea

Top Ten

Jack B Quick

Greyshirt

are nothing to get excited about

sorry.gif

Anybody see the Supreme vs. Tom Strong book? Haven't read it, but the logo's on the cover are written in the fonts of Superman (Supreme) and The Amazing Spider-Man (The Terrific Tom Strong). Moore sure likes to have fun w/ DC and Marvel.

And since I missed this thread the past week or so, I'm glad you're reading "V" Bruce. It really is awesome. The artwork is fantastic, IMO. Very "Golden-Agey", and perfect for the story.

Has anybody read "Big Numbers"? The never-finished Moore/Sienkewicz story about a corporation moving into Moore's hometown? I labored through issue's 1 & 2, but really had trouble w/ them. I couldn't get into it. Although there are some great scenes and artwork. Particularly, in issue #1 where a man on the train is describing how he underwent castration as sexual therapy. He's telling this to a lady and she asks something like "Well, what do when you have urges", and the next panel he is imagining plunging a knife into her chest. Pretty brutal scene!

Chris

I saw it... beyond just the logo ...it was an homage to the entire cover of that Superman vs. Spidey treasury.

I'm up tp #3 in V, but I get sleeeeeepy eveytime I try and make headway. I can read the newer stuff for an hour or more, but have a 20 minute "nod-off" factor with V... probably because its text-intensive.

I'm getting there