• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE-Reading BRONZE/MODERN Classics AGAIN years later... Better or worse?

197 posts in this topic

A great alternative is the mini-series reprints on thicker paper stock (I think its 7 issues?) that came out in the early 80s.

There has got to be an emoticon or graemlin for kicking yourself. I was thinking so hard about the trade that I did not even consider suggesting these.

Hogations is right, you can pick them up very cheap, in fact I just saw numerous copies of them at the Tysons show a few weeks ago that were somewhere in the $1 to $2 range. I would have bought them had 'Donut and Darth not con'ed me out of my last few dollars. insane.gif

Yeah betty is Nekkid, but there are the convenient shadows of corse & panel editing, while in a trance in the beginning of #168. Interestingly Charlton is the only 70's publisher i know of who snuck nudity into their books. I have 2 examples, but i only have 20 or so 70's charltons, there may be more.... I'll try to dig up issue #'s. I am still having trouble getting scans to appear, but i'll try!

Yeah betty is Nekkid, but there are the convenient shadows of corse & panel editing, while in a trance in the beginning of #168. Interestingly Charlton is the only 70's publisher i know of who snuck nudity into their books. I have 2 examples, but i only have 20 or so 70's charltons, there may be more.... I'll try to dig up issue #'s. I am still having trouble getting scans to appear, but i'll try!

..sounds like a job for ..."Photoshop" insane.gif

someone send me a high-res scan... maybe I'll make a new avatar for Mike

hmmm.... now that i think of it. Storm used to be nude here & there in early new x-men books, person_without_enough_empathying about not wanting to wear clothes, and socities rules and all that....of course, always in shadow...

..Darn those freak "shadows" that turn up when people are "nekid" that's an odd coincidence?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bruce:

There were two versions of the complete reprints of the GL/GA Neal Adams/Denny O'Neill stuff... the first is a BEUATIFUL hardcover edition ($75) reprinting the whole series which, in my opinion, is even better than owning the originals because the quality is so high in the reprint.

But... there is also Hard Traveling Heroes... that was done earlier, and I have volume one. I didn't notice any material missing, but the covers aren't reprinted.

What makes the hardcover worth it is that there were two awesome covers for both books (new, by Adams) done for those trade paperbacks which appear in the hardcover...

Forget bothering to track down the originals unless you're a DC fan (I own them in low grade but finding a 76 in high grade wasn't a priority) and buy the hardcover... you can still find it for much less than the $75 cover, and it's as nice as the Deadman hardcover and probably as spectacular as the Bats Adams stuff will be.

I'm curious to hear from those collectors out there (that may be approaching or past 30 years of age) if they've had any similar experiences? Years later, after re-reading those classics from your youth... did they measure up?... better/worse?... how did they strike you?

Here's some 1980s stuff that I think has held up or gotten even better (I've been able to appreciate them more as I've matured and they've grown in stature in light of the fact that so much of what followed them in the 1990s was just pure $#&*):

Judge Dredd (Eagle) #18-25 ("Block Mania" and "The Apocalypse War" - the former storyline leads into the latter and is just awesome, awesome stuff)

Airboy (Eclipse) - Much of the revamp was simply excellent. Mature and different.

Jon Sable, Freelance (First) - I liked it as a kid, I like its seriousness and gritty realism even more as an adult. BTW, that's 3 indie titles in a row...who says I'm not an Indie fan? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wolverine Limited Series #1-4/Uncanny X-Men #172-173 - IMO, Miller's best artwork ever and the best Claremont story of the post-Byrne era

New Teen Titans - The Judas Contract issues and many of the issues that preceded them were and still are just brilliant stuff

Gene

Amazing Spider-man #229-270 (i'll keep going to 289) - reminds me why i loved these as a kid, especially the hobgoblin issues, man they are still fun. I was suprised to see how much i like peter david's funnier stories like spidey in the suburbs. The juggernaut 2 parter was great too. I can feel my excitement winding down though as i think the book started to tank right about where i am. 269& 270 were fun, but after that....we'll see...

A great pick, this ASM run from the 80's was a real return to form for the title and the best stuff since #151. I particularly love the first Hobgoblin saga from issues 238-251, then in 252 Spidey turns up in a new suit! Classic run.

Okay... nobody throw anything at me, but I flat-out loved the first dozen or so issues of Micronauts, by Bill Mantlo and Michael Golden that was as good a sci-fi story as any I read when I was a kid, and it holds up pretty well today.

I'm also in love with the first twenty-five issues of Moon Knight, by Doug Moench and Bill Sienkewitz (sp?)! Watching the artist grow into his own from "just another Neal Adams Clone" was a fantastic experience. Even then, I knew I was looking at something special. (Oh, and in those days, The Moon Knight comics were the best "Batman" comics to be found anywhere, if you get my drift.)

I echo the sentiment about Jon Sable. I loved Mike Grell (You GO, Travis Morgan!), and once saw him in a First Comics panel-discussion, talking about how much Sable was his own alter-ego. Interesting stuff...

I don't want to leave out one of my all-time favorites: GrimJack ! Tim Truman is the one of the most under-appreciated creators out there, in my opinion. John Gaunt, and (a bit sacriligeously, I admit,) ESPECIALLY "GrimJim" Twilly would have kicked the ever-lovin' SNOT out of most of the characters known for being ''grim and gritty"! I dig those out and read`em often though many of them have been lost over the years from loaning them out to comic-stealing friends.

If anybody out there has copies of the Graphic Novel, as well as the Demon Wars Story-arc, and #75 for a reasonable price, drop me a line... cool.gif

-Joe

I was a Judge Dredd, Jon Sable fan... (and the Badger, Elementals, too)... but I never thought about reading them again as worthy classics. I suppose that I'll run out of classics pretty soon and will have to settle for "good stuff".

I enjoyed the Perez Teen Titans as well back in the day, but more for the art... I didn't associate the series as anything remarkable overall. Is it just that one storyline that you feel deserves special merit or the whole run?

Amazing Spider-man #229-270 (i'll keep going to 289) - reminds me why i loved these as a kid, especially the hobgoblin issues, man they are still fun. I was suprised to see how much i like peter david's funnier stories like spidey in the suburbs. The juggernaut 2 parter was great too. I can feel my excitement winding down though as i think the book started to tank right about where i am. 269& 270 were fun, but after that....we'll see...

A great pick, this ASM run from the 80's was a real return to form for the title and the best stuff since #151. I particularly love the first Hobgoblin saga from issues 238-251, then in 252 Spidey turns up in a new suit! Classic run.

Hadn't thought of Spidey much... I'd love to read / re-read 97-136 though