• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where were you in the summer of 1977? Star Wars unleashed!

77 posts in this topic

I still love George Lucas. What a rush it was in June, 1977 to see Star Wars 1 (Episode 4) movie at an English theater. Previously, I had only watched Chinese kung fu flicks on the big screen. When I started grade 7, several kids had C3P0 watches or X-wing/R2-D2 t-shirts. What a Darth Vader geek I was. How do you explain the visual extravaganza of the opening scene with the huge Star Destroyer spacecraft THUNDERING overhead?

Did you line up in June/77 too?

starwars1.jpg

I was 5 years old when Star Wars was released.

I remember bits & pieces of it however my parents remember it better than me.

They packed up the car and we drove a bit over an hour to one of the bigger cinemas in Melbourne to see the show.

In the scene that first shows Darth Vader and exposes us to his scuba gear style breathing technique apparently the color drained from my face & I went as white as a sheet.

Nothing like a little chilhood mental scarring.....

Ahhh the good times.

Russ.. acclaim.gif

I think I read the Star Wars #1 comic around May/77. I did not really like the Chaykin art/inking but the high adventure storyline really captured my young, fragile imagination. Then I had to buy the pocket book and a year later "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", a Star Wars book thumbsup2.gif sequel.

I remember seeing Star Wars about two weeks after it opened. I was 13. The theater was practically empty. Word of mouth got out and those theaters started filling up.

I was living in New York at the time and remember waiting in line for at least 2 showing until we were able to get tickets. The theater was the Midway in Forest Hills (mutantkeys will get a kick out of this) and it was raining. We were so hungry, tired and wet that two of us went to a deli and bought pastrami sandwhiches that we smuggled and ate in the theater. I was 14 at the time and seeing Star Wars was like seing the second coming. What a great flick

I was living in New York at the time and remember waiting in line for at least 2 showing until we were able to get tickets. The theater was the Midway in Forest Hills (mutantkeys will get a kick out of this) and it was raining. We were so hungry, tired and wet that two of us went to a deli and bought pastrami sandwhiches that we smuggled and ate in the theater. I was 14 at the time and seeing Star Wars was like seing the second coming. What a great flick
893applaud-thumb.gif

I go to Midway at least 2 times a month cloud9.gif

A good friend of mine was ITK, as far as comics/films/etc went and he had the word on this film.

Although a touch expensive, there was a quality (at the time) cinema in Liverpool that was its venue for first week release. Myself, my friend and another guy decided to blow our pocket money on getting to see it on its second day.

The opening scene, with Surroundsound as I think it was called at the time, was enough to justify the money spent, and get me twitching in my pants. tongue.gif

Was fresh out of college. Spent a month traveling in summer of '77 with my friend Jeff. Went to San Francisco. Ate some 'shrooms. Sat in the front row. Theatre packed. A near religious experience, I tell you, starting from the first laser-gun fight scene and blasts of surround-sound.

Those were the daze... cloud9.gif

Seeing the re-release of the movie in the theatre with my then-seven year old son was one of the best experiences ever, too.