• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where were you in the summer of 1977? Star Wars unleashed!

77 posts in this topic

In the Greek Isles getting laid
What was his name? tongue.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

My all-time favorite Greggy post! hail.gif

acclaim.gif
I'm still waiting for my favorite.
AT 25 is the best book of all time 893applaud-thumb.gif

acclaim.gif
I knew that.

still waiting. juggle.gif

acclaim.gif
I knew that.

Rick is the best azzhole on the boards 893applaud-thumb.gif

acclaim.gif
I knew that.

Rick is the best azzhole on the boards 893applaud-thumb.gif

Greggy walks in a bar in Arkansas and orders a white wine.

All the hillbillies sitting at the bar look up, expecting to see some

pitiful Yankee from the north.

The bartender says, "You ain't from around here are ya?"

Greggy says, "No, I'm from Canada."

"What do you do in Canada?"

"I'm a taxidermist."

"A taxidermist? What in tarnation is a taxidermist? Do you drive a taxi?"

"No, a taxidermist doesn't drive taxis; I mount animals."

The Bartender grins and hollers, "It's okay boys. He's one of us!"

May 25th, 1977...30 years ago today a movie came out and changed my life. I don't remember exactly when I saw it but it was at a Drive In Theatre for sure and I'm told I fell asleep during the Rebels assault on the Death Star. To me SW represents everything that was great about being a child, the toys, pretending to be Han Solo and attacking Stormtroopers with your friends. I took my love for this movie to a higher level, and it definitely worked out for me. I was able to amass a very nice vintage toy collection that has allowed me to travel and meet with people all over the world. It allowed me an opportunity to write my first book

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Toys-Canadia...5631&sr=8-2

I've done radio interviews, and even been asked for my autograph during book signings and publicity events because of this "little" movie in 1977. And now that I am starting to sell off my toy collection, with the proceeds I am now able to own high grade copies of Marvel keys and O/A to a Romita ASM cover, none of it would have been possible for me without Star Wars. This is a special day, the 30th anniversary of the 2nd greatest movie ever...Empire Strikes Back is 1st but we'll leave that post entry til May 21st, 2010...Empires 30th anniversary smile.gif

Jim

For the younger forumites, if they were born in 1977, that would make them 12 yrs old when Tim Burton's gothic Batman 1 movie was released in summer, 1989. Would say that was the 2nd major theater marketing bonanza with a deluge of Batman/Joker comics, graphic novels, lithos, posters, bubblegum cards, Prince rock video on MTV/Much Music, instrumental soundtrack, radio controlled Batmobiles, Bat-cereal, Joker t-shirts that flooded the comicshops and Wal-marts internationally. cloud9.gif

Aug 16, 1977, the summer after high school. Tired of waiting for it to get to the $1 theaters, I went to a matinee with a friend and his mom's boyfriend. We were smoking a bowl in the parking lot when we heard on the radio that Elvis had died. It didn't harsh our buzz too much, as Elvis had already become a sad caricature by then, and we forgot about it as soon as the spaceship flew over our heads.

Saw it again on DVD for the first time in nearly 30 years with my daughter - a little creaky, but still fun - though the movie impressed her about as much as 1950s sci-fi films did me when I was 10 years old, entertaining but nothing to get overly excited about.

I've done radio interviews, and even been asked for my autograph during book signings and publicity events because of this "little" movie in 1977

You've been asked for your autogragh during book signings? 27_laughing.gif

I had just turned 9 and this was the first movie I was allowed to go see by myself.

It blew me away completely as it was the first S/F movie I had seen up to that point.

Turned me into a fan during the first 5 minutes and I spent the rest of my childhood trying to see every S/F that was released...including stinkers like "The Black Hole" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture " tonofbricks.gif

1977 marked my 8th birthday (May 20), and I remember getting to go see "Star Wars" with my family at the Miller Hill Mall Theatre in Duluth, MN. Friends of mine had seen it already and word was spreading rampant among the young -- it was unbelieveable!

I still remember the excitement in our little blue Ford Mustang as we drove up to the Mall...even my cynical brother (then 10) was interested. I proceeded to see the film 14 times that summer and fall, played Action Figures every chance I got (my friend Charlie and I would talk on the phone, each choosing a good guy and bad guy to "be" during the game; I'd pick Han Solo and two stormtroopers, he'd pick Luke S. and Darth Vader; I'd pick Ben Kenobi and Grand Moff Tarkin; and so on...until finally we had R2D2 vs. a Sandperson...), and became a fan for life. Of the original trilogy, that is...

Great years.

Dan

I spent the rest of my childhood trying to see every S/F that was released...including stinkers like "The Black Hole" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture " tonofbricks.gif

Hey, I liked Star Trek! sumo.gif

It was the first movie I saw without parental supervision (although I was with my older sister).

I was 14 and watched it with my brother at the Base Theater on Williams AFB in Arizona. Really enjoyed it, but the odd thing is that I didn't see the subsequent movies until they were released on DVD.

I spent the rest of my childhood trying to see every S/F that was released...including stinkers like "The Black Hole" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture " tonofbricks.gif

Hey, I liked Star Trek! sumo.gif

It was the first movie I saw without parental supervision (although I was with my older sister).

Well I think it's "ok" now, but when I was 11 I found it pretty dull and lacking in action...especially when I was expecting another Star Wars tonofbricks.gif