• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Batman Adventures the best Bat-book on the stands?

4 posts in this topic

I'm a big Batman fan. Bat-books are a third of my collection. Yesterday I started wondering if Batman Adventures is the best Bat-book out there? Consider:

Batman: Let's face it. Hush sucks. It's too long, it's boring, and the plot hangs like loose spaghetti on a clothesline during a windy day. If Jim Lee wasn't doing the art would anyone care?

LODK: This title is spotty. You get a great story followed by a lousy story. Completely hit or miss.

Detective: There's some very good work going on in this title right now. Better than Hush IMHO. But...

Batman Adventures: You usually get a single story per issue, or at most a two parter. The art is cartooney, but it also gets the job done well and is a lot of fun. AND the writers are mining 40 years of Batman characters for only the best. Bruce is dating Julie Madison. The Penguin is mayor of Gotham. We've seen Ra's a Ghul, Deadshot, Harley Quinn, and the Joker. It's all been great reading. (And did anyone catch the identity of the thug on page 3 of issue 5? Hmmm...)

Thoughts? Opinions? Flames?

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Hush; I've liked it. But you're right, Batman Adventures is consistent in story, style and characterization. This has been the case since the first Batman animated series started back in the mid-90s.

I enjoy Batman Adventures pretty much every month, while the other Batman books can be hit or miss. Batman Adventures is probably one of the last books I would drop from my monthly list.