• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Daredevil 168 the next Hulk 181?

54 posts in this topic

I have no doubts that there are more DD 168s around now- it was a "hot" book that was hoarded. TOD 10 wasn't even broken out in the guide for years (#21, the first OS I checked has it noted, but it's just lumped in with 3-10 pricewise at $7.00.) Your post just got me thinking and reaching for the Standard Catalog.

It's not just Elektra's popularity in the movies that drives the price of the book... she'd have to be an incredibly popular character in the comics too... and for the last 20 years, she's basically been a B or C tier character. She is more popular now because of her appearance in DD... but let's not forget that Wolverine was probably Marvel's second most popular character behind Spider Man from the 80s until present.

1st appearance of HARRY OSBORN as the Green Goblin.

I don't buy that. It wasn't the first appearance of THE Green Goblin and it wasn't the first appearance of Harry Osborne. Like I said, nothing new.

Are you trying to bump up values on your a BA Spidey's? tongue.gif

So is John Jameson; get your ASM 124's.

John Jameson's first app is ASM #1.

Let's not forget that it's probably the #1 Frank Miller book and Frank Miller is probably the #1 artist/writer of the last 25 years... Hulk 181 status is probably a stretch but this book does have a few things going for it...

-1st Elektra

-1st DD story written by Miller (158-167 not written by him, 168 is where the magic all starts, IMO)

-Miller's major work

1st appearance of HARRY OSBORN as the Green Goblin.

I don't buy that. It wasn't the first appearance of THE Green Goblin and it wasn't the first appearance of Harry Osborne. Like I said, nothing new.

Are you trying to bump up values on your a BA Spidey's? tongue.gif

So is John Jameson; get your ASM 124's.

John Jameson's first app is ASM #1.

John Jameson becomes the MAN-WOLF in ASM 124. You don't see Spidey fighting a were-wolf in an upcoming movie? How about a vampire? ASM 101 could be another prime candidate. Maybe Blade will guest star. smirk.gif

What about Spider-Man 4 featuring the web-slinger going up against the 'new' sinister six: gibbon, kangaroo, rocket racer, wilo-the-wisp, tarantula and the ringer.

Just watch those specs jump all over THE classic BA Spidey's. 27_laughing.giftongue.gif

What about Spider-Man 4 featuring the web-slinger going up against the 'new' sinister six: gibbon, kangaroo, rocket racer, wilo-the-wisp, tarantula and the ringer.

Just watch those specs jump all over THE classic BA Spidey's. 27_laughing.giftongue.gif

You're right. Harry Osborn as the Green Goblin is the equivalent of your "'new' sinister six". insane.gif

I'm glad you think that ASM 136 is unimportant. At least you won't be bidding against me.... tongue.gif

By the way, I happen to like the Tarantula. mad.gif

-1st DD story written by Miller (158-167 not written by him, 168 is where the magic all starts, IMO)

Actually, in the grand scheme of things, that's probably the most important thing about the book. Overall his legacy is obviously as a writer/artist not just as an artist.

Yo, I said in my original post that I liked ASM #136, I have two copies myself. grin.gif I know its one of your favorite books and I was just messin with ya on the sinister six. stooges.gif

BUT, Harry Osborne isn't the Green Goblin, Norman is. This is a fact that will prevent ASM 136 ever being worth any serious $$$ IMHO.

If so, it may be that some of his vision and ideas were being implemented to some degree before he officially had both titles

Have you read 158-167? They don't come close to the books that follow IMO. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Didn't Miller "Co--script" some of the issues prior to 168? If so, it may be that some of his vision and ideas were being implemented to some degree before he officially had both titles.

He did. They weren't really "Miller" stories though. They certainly don't read that way.

Didn't Miller "Co--script" some of the issues prior to 168? If so, it may be that some of his vision and ideas were being implemented to some degree before he officially had both titles.

Roger McKenzie was the writer, until the reins were gradually handed to Miller.

Roger McKenzie was the writer, until the reins were gradually handed to Miller.

893offtopic1.gifRoger McKenzie is a seller on eBay. I mentioned him in one of my DD 168 auctions and he emailed me about it.

Huh.... interesting.

Is he selling his comp copies? Did he give you any insight about the run, working with FM, etc....

He actually sells kitschy junk. Other than that, I don't really remember much of the conversation. It wasn't very in-depth.

If so, it may be that some of his vision and ideas were being implemented to some degree before he officially had both titles

Have you read 158-167? They don't come close to the books that follow IMO. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Its been a very long time... so no, I don't recall. I just remember being blown away by the art/panels at the time and that the stories seemed to just get better. I don't even think i was really aware back then when Miller took on both reponsibilities... I was just gobbling it up!

I would love very much to re-read the run.