• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay email... legit or scam?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Received this email. Below the text which I've copied here it asks for CC: information. Is this legit? It does come from aw-confirm@ebay.com but there have been so many scams lately that I'm leery. In particular, I am suspicious of any email that requests CC information. Without further adieu:

"We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't resolve your problems. To resolve this problems please click here and login into your account in order to resolve your problems. If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after that it will be again operational.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your

agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to ebay.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department

eBay, Inc."

Hi all,

Received this email. Below the text which I've copied here it asks for CC: information. Is this legit? It does come from aw-confirm@ebay.com but there have been so many scams lately that I'm leery. In particular, I am suspicious of any email that requests CC information. Without further adieu:

"We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't resolve your problems. To resolve this problems please click here and login into your account in order to resolve your problems. If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after that it will be again operational.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your

agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to ebay.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department

eBay, Inc."

Scam fool! They don't ask for info in the body of an EMAIL! tongue.gif

Here's what I do if I'm ever asked for CC information:

No honest company will ask you to submit CC info via email because email isn't secure which means that anyone on the internet can stumble on to your email and read it. Emails are not encrypted in any realiable way.

If they do ask for CC info, the company should direct you to a link. If they send you to a form, check the url field in your browser. If it doesn't start with https://, then you know it's a scam. https:// means your on a secure server where the information you'll be entering will be encrypted safety.

Finally, if the url starts with https://, read your user agreement first. Ebay says that they'll never ask for cc information, etc over email. If other companies aren't as clear, simply call them and ask if they did send you the email. If the company doesn't have a contact phone number, then it is probably a scam.

In general, never ever give your credit card information via email. If someone requests it, 99999999/100000000 it's a scam. But the sad thing is that people do send their credit card information and this allows these scammers to rip people off of a lot of money.

I feel left out - either people know what a poor SOB I am, or I'm just lucky, but I have NEVER gotten any of the eBay/Paypal scam emails - or the unsolicited emails from guys trying to sell me their AF 15's.

Argh. IT IS A SCAM.

Spoof Emails

Protect yourself from fraudulent (spoof) emails

eBay is working hard to help keep your account safe from hacking and unauthorized intrusions. Some community members have reported receiving deceptive emails claiming to come from eBay, PayPal, or other popular Web sites. These emails are also known as "spoof" or "phishing" emails. The people who send these emails hope that unsuspecting recipients will reply or click on a link contained in the email and then provide sensitive personal information (for example, eBay passwords, social security numbers, or credit card numbers).

We strongly encourage you to be cautious when responding to any email request for sensitive personal information.

Remember, just because an email looks like it's from eBay, doesn't mean it really is. An eBay address in the "From" line of an email (for example, "From: support@ebay.com", "From: billing@ebay.com", "From: eBay Account Maintenance") does not guarantee that the email is from eBay.

You can also take a few simple steps to protect your account and prevent senders of deceptive emails from doing harm:

Be sure you are on an eBay page

Before signing in, check the Web address in your browser. If you click on a link in an email, verify that the web address in your browser is the same as the address shown in the email. The Web address of most eBay sign-in pages begins with http://signin.ebay.com/. Never type your eBay user ID and password into a Web page that doesn't have ".ebay.com" immediately before the first forward slash (/).

Always use a secure server when submitting credit card numbers

Before submitting credit card numbers over the Internet, ensure that you are using a secure server. The beginning of the web address in your browser window should be "https://" and not "http://". For secure server pages, you should also see a "lock" icon at the bottom of the browser.

Do not send sensitive personal information via email

eBay will never ask you to send your account password or other sensitive personal information such as credit card numbers in an email. Some deceptive emails will ask you to enter your password or sensitive personal information directly into a form within the email in an attempt to defraud you - don't do it.

When in doubt, use the eBay Web site

Any doubt that the email really is from eBay? Simply open a new browser window, type www.ebay.com, sign-in, and use the "site map" link to navigate the site. And make sure you sign out when you are finished, especially if you are using a public computer.

Report suspicious email

Help us keep our community safe. If you have any doubt whether an email is from eBay, forward the message to spoof@ebay.com immediately. Don't alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment - doing so makes it more difficult for us to react quickly.