• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover and/or Page cleaning Question.

12 posts in this topic

I'm really not "pushing" any chemicals. As a matter of fact, when I get an answer to my "wet cleaning" question, I will need to go purchase the chemical(s).

I just have a bunch of old Golds that look pretty bad, dirty covers that should be white, etc., etc.

I have read the virtues of Wonderbread, but I know the pros use a chemical bath when necessary. I just doubt it is "liquid" Wonderbread.

Napthalene. You can buy it at Home Depot.

Are you confusing Napthalene with Naptha? As has been discussed, Naptha can be used (with great care to its flammable and toxic nature) to remove those yellow transfer stains. Napthalene is initially a solid used in manufacture of mothballs but it is soluble in acetone, alcohol, benzene and ether. It is nasty stuff.

I'm really not "pushing" any chemicals. As a matter of fact, when I get an answer to my "wet cleaning" question, I will need to go purchase the chemical(s).

Please don't. Unless you have some background in restoration the best you should do is dry cleaning. And it is not just a matter of selecting the right chemicals. It is also a matter of REMOVING the chemicals still impregnating the paper once the cleaning is finished. And of having had experience enough to realize that some papers/inks from different genres/companies are going to react differently. Unfortunately there is no quick and easy way to do wet cleaning. There is only a quick and easy way to destroy your books. frown.gif

Also after an aqueous wash & press, the outer dimensions of the covers may stretch. Then u have to pull out your exacto knife & play doctor to freshen up the edges or chipping. Not nice. 893censored-thumb.gif

Not nice at all. A well and proper aqueous wash should NOT generate a stretch. Even with such a simple chemical as water, the proper procedures must be followed to avoid such a travesty!

Well said! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Also after an aqueous wash & press, the outer dimensions of the covers may stretch. Then u have to pull out your exacto knife & play doctor to freshen up the edges or chipping. Not nice. 893censored-thumb.gif

Not nice at all. A well and proper aqueous wash should NOT generate a stretch. Even with such a simple chemical as water, the proper procedures must be followed to avoid such a travesty!

Well said! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice? Calling Dr. Nice. Nice? Is Dr. Nice in the house? insane.gif

Napthalene. You can buy it at Home Depot.

Are you confusing Napthalene with Naptha? As has been discussed, Naptha can be used (with great care to its flammable and toxic nature) to remove those yellow transfer stains. Napthalene is initially a solid used in manufacture of mothballs but it is soluble in acetone, alcohol, benzene and ether. It is nasty stuff.

Oops, you're right. boo.gif

Thanks.

I'm just not having any luck dry cleaning a particular Silver Age book, as well as several Gold's. The Silver book (X-Men #1) has a white cover and is REALLY dirty. I have tried a couple of dry cleaning methods (cleaning pad) and even the Wonderbread method with no results.